Tremoverb-Blues/ModernHighGain channel is hardly audible !?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamera

Reaction score
I just bought a Tremoverb combo and I have a channel volume problem. The clean/vintage channel rocks and cranks, but the Blues/Modern High Gain channel has next to no volume! Crank the master volume to 10 and it sounds like it is on 1 instead.

I just checked the tubes in the dark and it looks like they are all glowing equally, but I am no amp whiz...

The amp has [the original?] MB 5U4G Rectifier tubes, the original[?] MB 12AX7 tubes and 4 5881 Sovteks [made in Russia].

on the back of the amp:
Bold power switch selected
6L6 bias switch selected
Rectifier select [vacuum tubes normal]
has the 2 Celestion Vintage 30 16 ohm speakers into the 8 ohm speaker jack.
channel cloning - normal is selected

Does any one have any ideas?

Thanks,
Doug

check on the back of the amp and set the FX loop to bypass... if its on, try adjusting the loop active master on the front

I'll check that now - I actually didn't even think of that as there is nothing in the effects loop now..... I will check it right now and will report back

I tried that but the loop knob was on bypass....
I will try swapping out the 12ax7 tubes tomorrow....
any other ideas?

When mine did that it ended up being an easy fix at the Mesa Hollywood store. I think it was a $7 part and $35 labor. Sorry i can't be more specific but I lost the repair receipt a while ago.

thanks all the same! I am sure down witha $42 fixit job!!!!

do you recall any of the details? a tube? capacitor? bad jack or pot?

just pulled the 12axy tubes from my studio 22 and will swap them into the tremoverb and see if that fixes it...

I had a similar problem with mine, but it appears to be a different case since you say all of your power tubes are glowing. It should be the opposite though, the orange channel should be less loud than the red channel. Somethings definitely wrong, so I'd send it to a tech.

I swapped out the 12ax7 tubes and moved the others around and nothing changed... I just called the Hollywood California store since corporate is closed now and the guy there says it sounds like it's the LDR [Light Dependant Resistor and I should bring it to a tech...
However, I see from the schematic here: http://www.tubefreak.com/tremvrb2.gif

that there is way more than just ONE LDR in a Tremoverb!
So I am not sure which one to check out...
Anyone else here ever have a Tremoverb LDR issue, and if so, how did they fix it?

here is a tech bulletin from MB suggesting changes to improve/avoid the LDR issue

http://www.tubefreak.com/tremvrb6.gif

lol, I typed DLR at first....

Back