Trem-o-verb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtbaker

Reaction score
I've been thinking lately about getting a TOV. But I've heard that it's tone is somewhat different than the regular 2 channel DR. If this is true then what is the tone difference? And about how much could I buy a head for?

Hey partner!

You might wanna do a search. There are quite a few threads that detail the similarities between the two.

In a nutshell, they don't sound EXACTLY the same, but if I had to pick one, I'd pick the TOV.

FWIW - if you really want one - shoot me an e-mail. I've got a head I might be selling.

Lance

Thanks. I'm pretty much broke right now, but by the end of the summer I should have some money. I might also think about selling the Stiletto. It seems as if it doesn't get heavy enough for me.

The one thing the TOV does NOT lack is balls.

IMO - it can get even heavier than the regular 2 channel duals....

I have 2 DR's and 2 TOV's - and they are really, really similar, but the TOV to my ears, can get a little cleaner and a little nastier.

Plus you have reverb and tremolo, which does not suck! :D

Thanks. When I tried out a DR the only problem I had with it was the clean. I found even when clean you still get that dirty sound. I also didn't like the lack of reverb, which is why I wanted a ROV, but then I saw a TOV and I thought that reverb and tremolo is even better. I just didn't know what the difference in the TOV and DR sound was. Once again, thank you.

You might want to try a Stiletto stage II if you like the way your stage I sounds but want more balls. :idea:

The only problem I have with it is not enough gain. I have tried an ACE combo before at Guitar Center not knowing there was a difference between Stage I and II, so of course I ordered a Stage I noticing a fairly big decrease in gain. I also noticed that the fluid drive really doesn't sound well.

Did you like the Ace more? I think that'd be right up your alley if you didn't like the fluid drive mode on the Stage I and feel it lacks gain. Those were two things I noticed when I had a Stage I Deuce myself.

I definately liked the ACE more, but when I played some more heavier stuff I think it lacked just a bit in gain.

sgtbaker said:
I definately liked the ACE more, but when I played some more heavier stuff I think it lacked just a bit in gain.

Cool, I hope you find what you're looking for in the TOV

The problem is that I play everything from funk to metal. With my Stage I, I love the clean sounds, and it sounds excellent for classic rock. But lately I've been playing more heavier stuff which is the weak side of the Stiletto. I would like to keep it and get a TOV, but I really don't have the money.

Have you considered a Mark IV? Great cleans and awesome heavy side as well.. R2 gets into classic rock territory but not nearly as well as the stiletto. You can always get a marshally OD box to boost R2 with.. just a thought.

Well I've always wanted a Mark IV, but they run rather expensive. And too many buttons. lol. I'm not too good with all these buttons and switches.

sgtbaker said:
Well I've always wanted a Mark IV, but they run rather expensive. And too many buttons. lol. I'm not too good with all these buttons and switches.

They're not terrible in the used market, I found mine for 1300 and it was a custom color scheme and from 2005. They are rather cumbersome to figure out at the beginning but the tone is to die for once you figure it all out. It's not that daunting.

Worth considering if the price is right :)

I've seem them go on ebay for 900 before, right now isn't the best time to get one based on the prices I've seen on ebay lately.

tremoverb will have the best cleans out of the old rectifiers....the presence pot's ratio was 4x higher than a regular old 2ch rect.

TOV is the way to go for you. I had one myself a while ago. The cleans are excellent, but my best clean sound breaks up around 10:00. I had to turn down the gain and treble a bit to get any louder on the clean channel. The gain channel has all the bottom end you'll ever need. It really is an astonishing "in your face" sound. Works really well with EL34s as well, if you want a bit more of a Marshall tone. The Stilleto II sounds A LOT like my old TOV with EL34s.

Latest posts

Back