Trem-O-Verb vs Triple Rec - Tone Differences

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonVolt

Reaction score
I had a chance to play a Trem-O-Verb 2x12 combo and a 3 Channel Triple Rec (not the reborn series) and was surprised by the completely different sounds between the amps. They were both played through the same 4x12 recto cab. For one, the Tremoverb was very buzzy/harsh sounding at low volumes and that didn't disappear until you cranked it to LOUD volumes. I was kind of expecting the opposite with the Triple Rec being 150 watts, but it sounded great even at low volumes - the lower volume playing sounded pretty **** good. But what really threw me was they sounded like completely different amps. The Tremoverb just didn't have the absolutely MASSIVE gain and bottom end that the triple has at the same volume. The Triple was also much tighter sounding than the Tremoverb. I had assumed that all Rectos would sound more or less the same. Did the sound of the Rectos change quite a bit from the 2 channel to the 3?

Both had 6l6s and the tubes were both in great shape.

What you're partially hearing is the tightened low end response and midrange punch that the extra 50W of headroom provides. I don't know how you EQ'd the tremoverb though - my friend has one and it sounded just fine when I was using it.

Age of tubes might also be a factor. Each "level" of recto sounds different!

I am actually surprised at this comparison with regards to the results.

I am wondering if the tubes and I mean all the tubes have made this comparison impossibly one sided.

I also wonder if the settings are not exactly inline with a level playing field.

I say this because I have two Tremoverbs.

One is loaded with 6L6 and the other with EL34 both from SED =C=.

They both have all new preamp tubes and power tubes.

Now I expect the amps to sound different and of course I expect your comparison to have tonal differences.

BUT, I do NOT expect the Tremoverb to come out on the bottom and at such a poor performance level.

Something seems odd, but then again it is all perception.

I love my amps and they exceed all expectations.

When I demoed them I demoed them against all the other boutique amps, and I mean hours and hours of demoing and many, many amps...Saldano, Vox, Marshall, Orange, etc. etc.

Mesa Tremoverb rose to the top easily.

Sorry for my biased opinion.

Something was screwy with the amp or tubes. My Tremoverb is smoother, warmer, and more articulate than any of the other Rectos I've had.

There could have been something wrong with the Tremoverb, i dunno... I bought the amp used in Nashville a few months ago and the tremolo switches weren't working so I had it repaired at Nashville Amp Repair. During the repair, they cleaned all the pots and checked the tubes and said everything looked fine. I dunno, maybe the amp had just had a hard life, not sure. I ended up selling it and buying a Mark V and the very next day traded my 6505+ for the Triple. When I got the Triple home I turned it on expecting to have the same round-about sound as the Tremoverb. When I hit an E chord I about **** my pants. I was thinking, so THIS is the "Recto Sound"... I now have the best of both worlds... the Mark/Heffield sound and the Recto/Tool sound all under one roof.

Nitrobattery said:
Something was screwy with the amp or tubes. My Tremoverb is smoother, warmer, and more articulate than any of the other Rectos I've had.
+1

The tremoverb is going to have more upper midrange, it will be more in your face when playing by yourself then the triple, and depending on what style of music you are into you might like the triple more. But trust me you get that tremoverb in a band situationi, it will shine like you dont believe.

I go through the GAS every now and then, I have a RK1 which is kind of a mix between tremoverb and the recto's, and when I hear it side by side with with a triple or dual just playing by myself I long for the dual or triple sound, but once in a band my roadking shines.

SonVolt said:
I had a chance to play a Trem-O-Verb 2x12 combo and a 3 Channel Triple Rec (not the reborn series) and was surprised by the completely different sounds between the amps. They were both played through the same 4x12 recto cab. For one, the Tremoverb was very buzzy/harsh sounding at low volumes and that didn't disappear until you cranked it to LOUD volumes. I was kind of expecting the opposite with the Triple Rec being 150 watts, but it sounded great even at low volumes - the lower volume playing sounded pretty **** good. But what really threw me was they sounded like completely different amps. The Tremoverb just didn't have the absolutely MASSIVE gain and bottom end that the triple has at the same volume. The Triple was also much tighter sounding than the Tremoverb. I had assumed that all Rectos would sound more or less the same. Did the sound of the Rectos change quite a bit from the 2 channel to the 3?

Both had 6l6s and the tubes were both in great shape.

siggy14 said:
But trust me you get that tremoverb in a band situationi, it will shine like you dont believe.

You know, I think you're right. The Triple is so saturated and big sounding that it really does provide that instant gratification when playing alone. The Tremoverb was definitely more in your face with the upper mids and treble so I can see that cutting through better in a band situation. My favorite amp back when I was in a band was a JCM 800 with a boost... sounded killer. But that same amp sounded just, well, loud and less articulate by myself. These days it's all playing at home so I prefer the saturation and lower volume sounds I can get with the Mesa.

Latest posts

Back