Trem-o-verb VS. Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse

Reaction score
Being a long time reader of this board I decided to step inside and join the party :)

I currently have a Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo wich I really like. Lately however I seem to have grown out of the whole recto-sound and after reading about the Mark IV here on the board I'm considering one.

I'm a metalguy but I need my amp to have good cleans and a cool crunch too (Versatility is important). I love the lower gain sounds of my TOV, but I don't care for the lead sound. Mesa's are extremely expensive over here and there are not many Mark IV's around so I probably have buy a used one.

So to the questions:

Combo vs head:

If I can find a head I thought I could use the speakers in the TOV while saving up for a cab for the Mark IV. Would this sound decent?

Will there be a big difference in how the Mark 1x12 combo sounds compared to my 2x12 TOV? (regarding the low-end and fullness of the sound). Am I being fooled by the small size of the Mark combo?

Can I buy a combo and easily convert it to a head later on?

Since I probably won't be able to try the amp before I buy this forum is a great resource for info so all the input I can get will be greatly appreciated.

First, I you want to use the speakers you have in your TOV combo, it will surely sound great. The speakers you got there are V30s. I own a MKIV head with a Rectifier 412 Standard, which are V30s.

This really sounds great. It adds a lot of power and dynamics to the amp ( af if it needed to!)

Secondly, YOU ARE BEING FOOLED BY THE MKIV SMALL SIZE. The first time a played a MKIV combo, I thought it was run into a 412. Let me tell you my jaw hit the floor when I was told it was not. It really sounds huge.

For the combo conversion, you can do tht, but you'll have to convert it into the long chassis version ( so forget the small!).

Finally, with this amp, after a little tweaking, you'll get an incredible clean with RhyI, punchy crunch in RhyII, and monstruous Lead channel ( you'll be caring much more to your Lead after you hear it!)

It definitely worth the buy.

DaveyJack said:
First, I you want to use the speakers you have in your TOV combo, it will surely sound great. The speakers you got there are V30s. I own a MKIV head with a Rectifier 412 Standard, which are V30s.
i'm guessing your TOV combo is open-back, whereas the recto cab is closed back. i don't personally have experience with MkIV+V30s but have heard griping about open vs. closed back cabs

DaveyJack said:
For the combo conversion, you can do tht, but you'll have to convert it into the long chassis version ( so forget the small!).
huh? i don't see why he couldn't convert a compact combo to a compact head just as easily as converting a medium combo to a medium head... just order the headshell from mesa or buy it on ebay and swap the chassis. the only caveat here that i can think of is that if you may want to eventually convert it to a rackmount, you'll have to go with the compact chassis.

Latest posts

Back