Transfomer for the Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghaith

Reaction score
Help!
I just purchased the Mark V online from the US and I reside in Dubai. The amp's transformer is 110V but the local power is 220V. Which transformer should I get, from where, and to what specs?
Thanks!
G

I'm not sure, but I think you might be able to buy a variac. (Variable output transformer) Van Halen used one to drop his voltage a bit. You could get one that is made for 220 volts and then twist the knob on top to drop it down to 110 volts to make the Mark V work, I think. I'm not entirely sure though. I hope someone else chimes in. If it does work it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than actually buying another power transformer and then having a tech change it out.

There are two solutions to this:

Both solutions ultimately require you to get a Step-down transformer.

The Mark V requires 110V to work, Your native electricity supply in your house is 220V, So you will need a transformer to Step the voltage down from 220V to 110V in order for the amp to work.

The cheaper solution is to buy an external transformer to step the voltage down, these are heavy and you would need to get a decent one to deal with the high current of an amp say 800 watts rated. It won't use more electricity, it just gives you more headroom in case it draws more watts than it should:

A_C_STEP-UP_DOWN_TRANSFORMER_ST-300_500_750.jpg

Or a bit more technical and permanent approach would be to swap out the transformer for a custom wound one in the actual amp itself where you plug the cable into. This is more work to do than simply buying an external transformer.

I personally used a step-down transformer for my Mark IV 240-110V in the UK. It was rated at 750 watts and I had no problem using it, it was solid and weighed about 2 bricks.

Best of luck

Latest posts

Back