Trainwreck Clone with Weber Mini MASS 50W

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nidec

Reaction score
I'm using Trainwreck Express with a Weber Mini MASS 50W.
The powertubes in trainwreck is 6L6GBs. I've been diggin some infos about using 6L6s in trainwrecks. There were no exact answers about the output value of this amp whether on EL34s or 6L6s... only a approx values... I bought a new Weber Mini MASS 50W for this amp and I'm getting this burning smell when I fully crank my amp and fully attenuate the amp.. Some say it's cause of melting grease on the pots(for brand new attenuators). Anyone had this kind of problems before? or Should I just buy a 100 watt attenuator?

Hi,

Your smell is coming from some of the parts in the attenuator getting hot. It's a sign that you are stressing components as well as breaking in the attenuator. MASS units are supposed to stink a bit when new and running the first times. If you take a closer look at Ted Weber's site (R.I.P. Ted!) you will see that attenuators need to be rated at twice the amp's output. Your 50 watter is half the size you need for that amp. You could get away with it if you were to use the attenuator in a much more moderate manner...running the main knob at maybe 4-6 instead of turned all the way down to silence or nearly so. You might also weant to turn down the master volume some on your main amp to reduce stress on both the amp power section and the attenuator that is absorbing all that energy from the amp.

Also, I'd do a check of the plate voltage, the Trainwreck amps probably use too high of a plate voltage and that could cause early demise of those rare 6l6gb's, I'd look for some nice 6l6gc vintage tubes or maybe some TAD's to replace those 6l6gb's. The "gc" rating for 6l6 is more likely to be in line with voltages existing within the T-wreck circuit.

I have a 100 watt MASS with all the bells and whistles except the rack ears, it's a nice piece of equipment if used sensibly. I love what it does for my tones and sustain.

Also, if I'm not mistaken there is an internet forum or group of players-DIY'ers-enthusiasts that is affiliated around the Trainwreck amp circuit(s). With an amp like that, you really ought to seek those boys out. That amp design is as special in it's own way as the old school Marshalls, Hiwatts, and Narbs...fantastic guitar amp designs.

Latest posts

Back