Trade Gibson LP Custom for 3ch Dual Rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogieslide

Reaction score
I am considering trading my '85 Silverburst LP Custom for a 3ch Dual Rec.
The Gibson is a great guitar, but I rarely play it. Too heavy to use with my band when I have a PRS and EBMM Axis to sling around. I currently use a Mesa Tremoverb. I am happy with the sound, but the versatility of the 3ch Dual has always interested me. It was a toss up between the two when I went with the Tverb back about 8 months ago.
I don't 'need' the amp, but I don't need or even use much the Gibson either. I got the LP for $1,200 about 4 years ago just before the new list price on Gibson went up. It is in good shape, but does have bucklerash on the back. Not sure what it is really worth. Maybe if I decide I can live without it I would do better by selling it outright for more than this trade value (~$1,200)?

Thoughts? Help a confused possibly gasing individual.

Pete

If it were me, I'd probably see if I could get more for it selling it outright if you don't really need/want the Dual Rec.

This is a very personal choice, however :D

I'm no expert but.....

I'd bet the LP is worth more than the Recto used. I'd sell the guitar and buy the Recto for cash. I think thats the best way to go. Few trades are truly even.

You have my dream guitar. I already have 2 les pauls but the silver burst has been one i have always wanted. Does it have a 60's or 50's neck?

Sounds like the general concensus is that the guitar is worth a bit more than the Dual Rec. I have to agree with that. Not that I don't want to get a Dual Rec in my hands.....I just need to decide if selling this guitar for what ever it is worth is really the right thing to do. Then I can spend the cash on a Dual Rec or whatever. Thanks for the input!

social,
To be honest I have no idea what neck it has. Is there a way I can identify that? In '85 did were they made with the option of a 60s or 50s neck?

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=gibson+les+paul+silverburst

One silverburst going for 2500 (altho it may not sell at that price). I would agree with the other folks, sell your les paul on ebay or locally then buy a recto amp. If you really wanted to save some cash, sell the les paul, then buy a used a recto on ebay hehe.

Gluck with whatever you decide.

I would love to take that Les Paul off of your hands, but I would feel wrong in doing that. Like others have said, sell it on eBay and you should be able to buy a 3 channel Dual Rectifier and some other cool stuff. :)

Dale

boogieslide said:
I am considering trading my '85 Silverburst LP Custom for a 3ch Dual Rec.
The Gibson is a great guitar, but I rarely play it. Too heavy to use with my band when I have a PRS and EBMM Axis to sling around. I currently use a Mesa Tremoverb. I am happy with the sound, but the versatility of the 3ch Dual has always interested me. It was a toss up between the two when I went with the Tverb back about 8 months ago.
I don't 'need' the amp, but I don't need or even use much the Gibson either. I got the LP for $1,200 about 4 years ago just before the new list price on Gibson went up. It is in good shape, but does have bucklerash on the back. Not sure what it is really worth. Maybe if I decide I can live without it I would do better by selling it outright for more than this trade value (~$1,200)?

Thoughts? Help a confused possibly gasing individual.

Pete

Usually the silverbursts will sell anywhere from 1900 to 2600 on ebay, where a triple rec will only sell for about 1200 to 1400 used on ebay. So yeah sell the silver and then you could buy a new one if you wanted for $1699

The LP is worth more. Eversince the guy from Tool started using a silverburst the prices have gone thru the roof. Maybe get rid of it now before the band becomes less popular and the value drops. Then again, a creme LP like Rhoads used is still worth a fortune.

Latest posts

Back