Tonight it's the Red stripe vs Green Stripe MkIII shootout !

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Reaction score
My Green striper came in. It's still in the back of my car unpacked and it's killing me. When I get home from work, the party will begin! :eek:

rabies said:
green is pentode wired in outside sockets. the other is triode. you'll notice better pinched harmonics with the red stripe and more headroom with the green. i had a green and it was **** mean man...

I still love my blue stripe in triode, its a little sweeter. but yea, in pentode it can get pretty nasty

Ok, Early results are in! This Green stripe sounds great! It has a better clean and R2 than the Red Stripe. The lead channel is not as gainy as the Red, but I need to put more time in on it to be sure.

I am confused about this green stripe deal. This amp is in a 90s style cabinet with the smoother tolex, leather corners and aluminum bar across the back. Could this amp have been transplanted into a newer cab? :? .... or did the later amps come in the newer style cabinets?

Here is a pic

6ppfqf4.jpg

I love my green stripe. I am still thinking about putting a pentode / triode switch on the back of it...but I dont want to change the pentode sound I have now. It flat out rips. 8) Maybe I should just get a red/blue stripe instead of tinkering with the green :?:

Dr. Tweedbucket said:
I am confused about this green stripe deal. This amp is in a 90s style cabinet with the smoother tolex, leather corners and aluminum bar across the back. Could this amp have been transplanted into a newer cab? :? .... or did the later amps come in the newer style cabinets?

I'm betting it's a transplant. FWIW my Mk IV is #6289 and has the old Fender-style Tolex and chrome hardware. The greenie still looks "beechen", man!

i did a red vs green a/b before.
i kept the green.
very subtle differences.
honastly, if it weren't for the slightly better cleans, and much better looking cabinet, i might have just flipped a coin!

Transplant or not, it's a great looking and great sounding (I bet) amp. When my AAA hardwood gets here, I will have no regrets as to it not being the original cabinet for my C+. If anyone else does, that is their problem. You could have had a MkIII with 120 watts of pentode and 30 watts of triode in one amp for less money than the pair of those amps :wink: . Just kidding. Now try slaving the red stripe from the green stripe and peel some paint from the walls :D .

JOEY B. said:
Transplant or not, it's a great looking and great sounding (I bet) amp. When my AAA hardwood gets here, I will have no regrets as to it not being the original cabinet for my C+. If anyone else does, that is their problem. You could have had a MkIII with 120 watts of pentode and 30 watts of triode in one amp for less money than the pair of those amps :wink: . Just kidding. Now try slaving the red stripe from the green stripe and peel some paint from the walls :D .

Hey, that's a good idea.... I need to paint my livingroom anyway! :idea:

I was playing the mean greenie last night and this is such a killer amp for the money. It came with the 200w EVM Black Shadow. The outside tubes are JJ KT77s which I'm thinking I will have to try in the red stripe now as well ..... great tone out of those tubes!

So far it's still unknown on the cabinet .... I've heard from a couple of sources that these MkIII were made up until 1999..... so I suppose this could be an all original amp. Either way, it sounds great, so I'm happy with it.

I would say the green stripe has a slight advantage over the red overall.

The last of the MkIII's came stock with the "Taurus" covering, leather corners and C-90. The metal tube bar on back indicates it as one of the last. One would have to call in the s/n to be sure. Not 100% sure but I think they were discontinued when the Nomad was released. I have a 1995 catalogue showing the MkIII in hardwood, Simulsatellites in Tolex and everything else in smooth Taurus.

I think mine was made in 96,

I pulled the chassis and there is a 7/96- MB sharpied on the top of the chassis. Also I was trying to read some filter cap date codes .... they start with a 96XXX I don't know if that is the date code or not. The SN of the amp is 28XXX

But have you hooked them together yet? It only takes a patch cord from the direct out of one amp to the effects return of the second amp. Be sure to turn off the EQ and push in the Master Volume pot of the second (slaved) amp. :D :twisted: Turn the direct out pot on the first amp to around 3 and sneak up on the Master volume of the second amp.

JOEY B. said:
But have you hooked them together yet? It only takes a patch cord from the direct out of one amp to the effects return of the second amp. Be sure to turn off the EQ and push in the Master Volume pot of the second (slaved) amp. :D :twisted: Turn the direct out pot on the first amp to around 3 and sneak up on the Master volume of the second amp.

YOu promise this won't blow them up and set things on fire? :shock:

I'll have to try it !

Dr. Tweedbucket said:
JOEY B. said:

YOu promise this won't blow them up and set things on fire? :shock:

I'll have to try it !

Hmmm....I wouldn't do it. But if you must, I'd make sure all of the gains and outputs are set very low and bring them up very gradually.

Four Boogies at once thru a A/B/Y box with each pair connected as I described. The clean channel would rattle your sack with no onboard EQ activated. No fires or otherwise. :D

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o94/JoeyB1970/DSC02628.jpg

The amp is stock. Even though your transformer numbers are 1996, these things did not sell so well after the MK IV came out. The serial number is very high and would probably make it the last one around 1997 or 1998. Sneak a peak at the chassis behind the power tube and look for a final tech date and you will know for sure.

It's a very nice amp.

Boogiebabies said:
The amp is stock. Even though your transformer numbers are 1996, these things did not sell so well after the MK IV came out. The serial number is very high and would probably make it the last one around 1997 or 1998. Sneak a peak at the chassis behind the power tube and look for a final tech date and you will know for sure.

It's a very nice amp.

Thanks.

Yeah, the date is on the outside of the chassis in a black marker 7/96 and MB. After I saw that, I figured it was towards the end of the run and the newer cabinet made sense.

I picked up a Thiele 1x12 for it today ! :eek:

Definately appears to be a cool amp. Let me know is ya get too many and need some help with em Tweed Man. :D

Latest posts

Back