this might help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vertigo_

Reaction score
So last night I AB'd my roadster with two guitar ....

One has :emg 81 + emg 60

another has: sd 59 + fernandes sustainiac

I didn't change the eq. The result:

"The 59 had more bass response. If you want the godsmack or disturbed tone, a passive pickup is the way to go(maybe sd 59). Emg 81 sounds thinner than the 59 but alot tight..and clear. People who want their Recto to sound tight can go the emg route rather than buying a OD pedal or changing the tubes."

Hope this helps...

I have been considering putting in the mid boost thats in the Eric Clapton Sig Strat just for that purpose. I'm also Ordering a Coustom Tele with FRED Pickups and a Single coil in the middle and a Piezo for Cleans. This is probably Going to have a 2 channel mixer built on a TL072 and a 9V battery.

vertigo:

Thanks for the comparison.

Were you able to compensate with the bass knob and
get them both in the same ballpark??

I've always wondered how the stock Gibson 500T in my
guitar compares to an EMG 81.

laters,

-dave

The 81 is a kind of thin pickup, IME. The 85 is a LOT more fat, and the 89 is pretty close to the 85 with the added bonus of an SA tone too.

daveyboy said:
vertigo:

Thanks for the comparison.

Were you able to compensate with the bass knob and
get them both in the same ballpark??

I've always wondered how the stock Gibson 500T in my
guitar compares to an EMG 81.

laters,

-dave

I tried to stick with the same eq...for both guitars. I wanted to hear the pickup difference. The eq that I tried is :

Gain :1.30
Treble: 1.00
Mid: 11.30
Bass: 3.00 (rolled back from 4 when I plugged in passive pickups)
Channel Vol: 9.00

Channel 4, Modern, 100W, Diode

EMGs are very sensitive to the height adjustment, get too close (which is what the factory recommends) and they can be harsh. Since they have such a low noise floor you can lower them down a bit and the sound will open up some. I have an 81 in the bridge of my ES-335 and it is lowered way down. Sounds pretty close to a Tele bridge pickup but quiet and hotter. With an H in the neck I have a Gibson that sounds like a Fender. The host guitarist at a jam told me one time "Your guitar sounds more like a Strat then my Strat" ! :D

Latest posts

Back