Thinking about getting a beat up Tremoverb...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfer144

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy a tremoverb combo for pretty cheap (most likely less than $650). The catch is that the thing is not in the best physical condition and does not come with the foot switches. The electronics appear to be in perfect working order, though (does needs new tubes).

How much would a new combo shell and foot switch run me? Also, how hard is transferring the amp from one shell to another?

I think a new combo shell from Boogie would be approx $300. Not sure about the FS. Transferring the amp should be fairly easy... probably just unscrew it & pop it out (just guessing - don't quote me).

I bought my Tremoverb less than a month ago, and I jumped at the $825 + $100 shipping deal on ebay. It's in "good+" condition, but I've seen ones slightly better in "excellent" condition go for well over $1000.

You'll probably end up spending well over $400 to get it back to near-mint condition, at which time you're probably better off just spending the money now to get one like that from the start.

I'd say just pick it up the way it is and enjoy it in a beat-up condition. Hopefully it's all working fine inside - if you can get spare tubes thrown in that lessens the risk a fair bit.

honestly you get over the physical condition part of things real quick. I know I do.

The whole thing about the tolex being ripped and what not is an easy fix even you can do on your own. However, if there's actual broken wood and what not, then you should replace it.

If the underlying wood is broken there's a very high chance that the electronics are also damaged. I wouldn't pay more than $250 for a Tremoverb in that condition, and even then I'd only do it because I know a good tube amp technician who is Mesa certified.

Ripped tolex, I agree you get over it quickly.

Yea, forget about superficial cosmetics. The Tremoverb is a diamond in the rough. Score it, immediately, that's a direct order!

I like Maury's idea. Call Mesa about the shell price; that data is quite specific, and highly unlikely us derelicts'll have it. Mean-while, haggle down the price.

ghunter, I saw that! I was so jealous. If it was the combo that you scored, I would have outbid you just to have that form-factor if I had a few extra hundred, then I would have sold my head and 4x12.

As far as foot switches: http://www.diamondplateguitars.com/Footswitches.html

These guys make a wonderful and solid all-in-one for the Tremoverb. A single cable runs to a break-out box so you can control your channel, tremolo, reverb, and effects loop on stage.

Yep, it was the combo :) I even got a spare set of tubes with it!

$825 was the buy it now price, I was VERY lucky.

I'd never buy something beat! Especially something electronic! Don't worry about superficial cosmetics? You can have it!

But remember, if there are some busted guts they can be repaired to full specification. Practically everything can be replaced too, that's the great thing about Mesa. I'd walk 500 miles to fix my Verbiage.

I'd go for it.

There are about 3 single footswitches if I recall and they are just the simple Boogie ones. You can find those on e-bay used for cheap or buy new ones. I saw someone selling a set last year.

Then, your combo shell can also be found on e-bay sometimes or again you can order new from Mesa.

Transferring from one shell to another isn't that tough. There are a few chassis bolts (I believe 2 on each side) to take out and the chassis slides out. Just take your tubes out before you do so that you don't risk damaging them. Keep them in order too once you do so you don't mix them up. Your cabling (speaker and reverb tank) should also be removed prior to migrating. Also keep your hands out of the chassis. Those internal parts have stored high voltages that when unleashed upon you will kill you without warning. It might be easier to get your speakers and reverb tank moved to the new location prior to installing the chassis into its new home. If you need to, you can invert your chassis onto a table in the meantime.

Latest posts

Back