Thinking about a Road King II or a Roadster. COuple of ?s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HappyStrat said:
If you want the maximum number of options, you need to go for the King. A Roadster does not do everything that a King can do. Mesa created the Roadster because not everybody can afford a King. Mesa intentionally trimmed options off so they could lower the price.

They also created the Roadster due to consumer demand for a 4 channel preamp without the progressive linkage. Mesa realized that some consumers were passing on the Roadking even though they could afford it, they justed wanted the 4 channel preamp and not have to deal with the all switches and options on the back.

:D I couldn't be happier with my Roadster. I probably would have chosen it over the Road King too, but there was not one to test out at the store I went to.

I did choose the Roadster over the LSS, LSC, Mark IV, and 3-channel DR. The tones I was looking for weren't in any of those other amps, or I couldn't get enough of the tones that I was looking for.

The Mark IV is nice, if you have lots of time. I had a new one for about 6 months, and could dial in some really nice tones out of mine, but I tried a new one in the store, and couldn't find a decent sound to save my life.

I was using a US Strat Deluxe just exactly like the one I had at home, and the Roadster just seemed to be the better amp to me.

Now my Mesa collection consists of a DC-5 combo, Trem-o-verb head, and the Roadster head.

If I want more of a hot-rodded Marshall sound, I have a Soldano (yes, it does Marshall better than the Roadster), and a Thomas Ampworks Monsta-Tone head. :D :D :D Now I just need to actually find the time to play.

Ken in NC said:
The combo is freakin' 106 pounds! Getting it in and out of my car is killing me. I seriously would have thought about a head instead of a combo. That way the size is much more manageable. Plus, I could get 2 - 2X12 cabs and still have flexibility.

The combo is H E A V Y !!!

You are absolutely correct but you need to be able to afford or want to shell out the extra money to go head and cabs................

Melodyman said:
Ken in NC said:
Old lynch or new? I dislike his new tone as he embraced the Uberschall amp by Bogner. I liked his 80's tone much better when he was with Dokken.

He used the Uberschall briefly about 4-5 years ago for the Lynch/Pilson album. I don't think he's use it since then.

He changes gear constantly. Whatever gear he is seen using on any given tour, he might not have the next time you see him.

Lynch has a new Randall Signature amp with preamp modules.

francric said:
Ken in NC said:
The combo is freakin' 106 pounds! Getting it in and out of my car is killing me. I seriously would have thought about a head instead of a combo. That way the size is much more manageable. Plus, I could get 2 - 2X12 cabs and still have flexibility.

The combo is H E A V Y !!!

You are absolutely correct but you need to be able to afford or want to shell out the extra money to go head and cabs................
I think I would seriously consider it knowing that there are flexibility options in transportation. Also, I have many 4X12 cabs which I could opt to use for larger venues. :D

Guitarzan said:
Lynch has a new Randall Signature amp with preamp modules.

Yep :)

Knowing his gear history he probably won't stick with it exclusively. Not that the Randall is bad or anything...Lynch is a gear ***** :D

Back