The woes of the tweaker! Warning: long-winded!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdesalvo

Reaction score
When do we decide when to stop modding and tweaking our amps once we start?

Are you the guy who just wants something a little more of your amp and finds yourself searching for that perfect set of tubes? Or are you the guy sitting before your amp’s opened chassis with a smoldering iron in one hand and a fistful of resistors and caps in the other?

I have found myself in both of these circumstances before- even going so far as to design and build my own guitar amps. Growing up in New Orleans and playing the blues conditioned me to pay more attention to the subtle, undeniably nearly inaudible components of my tone (and you all know what I am talking about)! By and large, the most miserable time in my musical life was back when I was swapping resistors, caps, re-wiring phase inverters, adding gain stages, and etc. as I searched for that elusive and ever-escaping tone that I could only hear in my dreams.

Ah, the excitement of firing up the amp with the new mods in place was great, but knowing that there were dozens of other areas that could potentially benefit from my attention proved to be an unyielding burden on my mind. Honestly, it consumed so much of my time and energy that I found myself to be playing my instrument less and less.

So I decided to put the iron down and take a few steps back to assess my situation. I wanted to reclaim the joy of playing my instrument, so I decided to stop trying to make my amp sound like something it was never meant to be. I was the sort of guy who obsessed over minutia and could never stop tweaking if I had the resources! God, I couldn't have handled a MKIV!

Having said that, let me open up this can of worms: I’ve noticed that many players on this board are unwittingly trying to turn their Mesa/Boogies into Marshalls and Fenders! Some will say, “Oh, the distortion is too harsh on my DR!” or, “I can’t attain the chiminess of my vox through my LS.” Just for balance, this mentality can be found on any given instrument board on the net. Guys, if you don’t like the way your Boogie sounds, maybe you should buy a Marshall! How do I explain this?

I am a lover of all things analog; give me tubes or give me death! When I was recording in Miami last October, I played through a 50w Marshall JCM 800 model 2204. Before I even plugged in, I immediately had a negative bias regarding this amp- and this company in particular! Having played through a JCM 2000 for the past 2 years really soured my view of Marshall as a viable amp in today’s market.

Anyway, as soon as I plugged in and took the **** thing off standby, I was floored at the tone of the lead channel- absolutely! This was one of those tones that I heard in my mind when I thought of rock and I could find it in no other amp. In fact, I never thought it existed because I relegated it to some slick recording/production trick. I learned a big lesson that day: never judge a product line based off one or two lousy models.

Moreover, I found the lead sound I was trying to mod and tweak my way to so long ago. I reckon if I opened my mind a bit more to include the impossible, then the impossible tone I searched for would become a reality. Haha, later on I realized the limitations of the amp itself and found myself trying to get a decent clean tone out of it and was disappointed all over again! Can’t a guy ever get a solid pair of tones out of an amp without having to compromise?!

...and then along came Boogie. I found my DC10 head on eBay and snatched it up as fast as I could! Thrown atop my Marshall 1960 cab, I get Fenderesque clean tones and an absolutely beautiful and crushing lead tone- one that the JCM 800 could only approach on tape-after having been doubled and run through several EQs and compressors! This is my dream amp and now that I have it, I am never letting it go.

But! If you like the JCM tone, then by all means go for it! Stop spending sleepless nights pondering why your DR doesn't allow you to sound like the guitar heros you grew up adoring! Don't be ashamed, we will still love you! All that matters is you find the tone that's right for you. Dudes, your dreams are your dreams uniquely and nothing should stand between you all and your appointments with destiny!

Haha, I've forgotten why I started writing this. And who took my coffee?? :mrgreen:

~F

Hi,

very interestingall thread and very true words! When I think about my MK IV, I remember the tweaking and fiddling with all the knobs at the beginning and sometimes a had my doubts if the MK IV was the right amp for me. Beside my MK IV, I also had a several other tube amps for repair at home, for some good friends you know. Beside some Marshalls, I always liked the Fender kind of tone and so I compared this tone with the clean channel tone of my MK IV. And I was disappointed sometimes, to some degree, regarding this so named true Fender Tone. I also own some other tube amps, also some of such vintage gear from Germany like Dynacord, Echolette etc. Honestly, today after a 15 years having the MK IV, all my doubts about this amp are blown away. This amp has all in it, what I ever will need, tonewise and the most important for me, I realised this amp also has it's own voice and it is a simply a Boogie, no Fender or Marshall. Love it or hate it,... I love it, period!!!!!
You surely know the days it simply sounds like **** in comparison to other days, where the same amp with the same settings in the same room sounds so good. Of course it's not he amp, it's me why it sounds bad sometime. It must be in our heads, perhaps also our changing moods from day to day have a big influence.to
Facit, it is still a great fun for me to deal with tube technology and fix tube amps from time to time, also old tube radios, btw.
But with my MK IV mainly I do only the one thing this amp is build for....playing guitar!

regards :D

So true!

I have had four different MkIV's. I sold the first three because I kept searching for my sound. I went through Bogner's (WAY over priced), Budda (Nice clean but the drive side just didn't do it for me.), Roadking (Yuck!), etc...

I came back to the MKIV each time and currently have no intension of going without my Short Head - Finding the cabinets with this amp is also the key to finding your sound.

I have often had those days where the sound just gratted on me and others when I just couldn't put my guitar down. I too came to the reality that it was me and my ever changing moods that dictated what I was hearing.

So I stopped blowing money and found that I could find all the sounds that my many moods desired within my MkIV.

Congrats to all those who realized this before blowing a lot of hard earned coin!

Brett

The MarkIV is a superb tone amp IMHO, from clean to crunch to heavy drive, all the tones i have ever needed are always been there, plus his overdrive on the lead channel is very smooth and fluid, very good for soloing ! Having some others amps with me from time to time, (Marshall, Fenders...) nothing comes close to the IV, it's a world top class instrument with umbelievables sounds, and after several tests with differents cabinets, i think it sounds the best with Rectos cabinets a 2x12 or a 4x12 !

Latest posts

Back