The newest Mesa, er, Gibson Falcon

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it was only a matter of time….

That doesn’t look like a Celestion speaker to me LOL
IMG_1228.jpeg
IMG_1229.png

Yep. 10 inch version too. Not a small price for a small amp. Clearly they didn't take their cue from a AC4.

Gives credence to what darkstar2 said they heard about a IIC+ reissue. A IIC+ should at least let some pressure off the price of an original when it comes but could always have the reverse effect if chatter box forums decry the 1st reissue as inferior and out of touch and set off a pandemic of buying the 84-85.
Oh wait- we've been there, done it!

Still I'll take the Falcon out for a fly.

From what the online demos sound like so far, I'm going to be totally blunt about it. The 5 is 1500 dollars, the 20 is 1800 dollars, and I wouldn't give a THIRD of that for either one of them. Seriously unimpressed. If you don't keep the bass turned all the way off and turn it up for some overdrive, they give exactly the kind of flabby, gritty, uncontrolled overdriven bass BLATT that I absolutely DESPISE.

Oh, I'm sure they're very well made since Mesa made them, but tonally I'm not hearing anything that piques my interest. They're OK, not great, not even particularly good. But I can see that some people who used to own a Falcon back in the day may be seeing this through their rose colored nostalgia glasses, and will buy it.

I DID own a Falcon. I inherited it from a friend who died and left me what was left over in his guitar amp repair shop. (He was the local amp guru, quite good at his craft, and a very good friend since about 1985.) I did have to complete repairs on it. I wasn't impressed with it, but I had a willing buyer, a local blues guy who likes a certain kind of gritty old school blues tone that is very much a niche thing. He has it still.

I see this as a needless, even pointless diversion of Mesa's manufacturing capacity in order to pursue somebody at Gibson's pet nostalgia project, diverting capacity from Mesa when they'd be much better served trying to get amps over to the UK and Europe where they're in extremely short supply and high demand.

For what they're asking I'm confident that I can find a lot of better sounding amps for the same money Gibson is charging for these two Falcons.

It sort of reminds me of the California Tweed which I think sounds better than the demo's I have heard of the Falcon. Just half of the amp since it only sports two power tubes.

Interesting in some way. Not for the hard rock player for sure. It is a bit too much country for me. At least I can make the CT sound more like a Mark using the flux drive and grid slammer.

Latest posts

Back