The mesa recto incoherence

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboy135

Reaction score
Hello everybody knows that actually is two ways to rectified the sinus wave from our AC. The diodes rectifiers method and the tube rectifier method.
Well I think that all recto amps from boogies uses both worlds... but are you sure all models have the tube rectifier... The answer is "no" we have the amazing single rectifier 50 that only rectified with diodes then...
Does anybody knows why the single rectifier is called rectifier if it rectifies with solid state diodes?????

fatboy135 said:
Hello everybody knows that actually is two ways to rectified the sinus wave from our AC. The diodes rectifiers method and the tube rectifier method.
Well I think that all recto amps from boogies uses both worlds... but are you sure all models have the tube rectifier... The answer is "no" we have the amazing single rectifier 50 that only rectified with diodes then...
Does anybody knows why the single rectifier is called rectifier if it rectifies with solid state diodes?????

Marketing.

Yeah, that is an inconsistency.

"Dual Rectifier" and everyone associates that with MESA's high gain Dual Rectifier or TriRectifier.

But in fact Mavericks, Blue Angels, LoneStars, not sure if HeartBreaker[?], Trem-o-Verb, Stiletto has switchable rectifiers diode or tubes....matter of fact I think Randall Smith patented dual rectifier switchable diode and tube rectifier. But of course the patent ran out so you'll see switchable rectifiers in boutique amps.

Nope, I don't know why the Single Rectifier has only diode rectfier other than its similar in gain to its big brother "The Dual Rectfier" :?

Well, not as inconsistent as it might seem at the first look.

Single rectifier - Silicone diodes only (= 1 kind of rectifier)

Dual rectifier - silicone and 2xtube (two different kinds of rectifiers or two rectifier tubes)

Triple Rectifier - silicone + 3x tube - here it seems they refer to the number of rectifier tubes.

Seems logical to me.

it's probably a good idea not to take these things too much to heart. 'single rectifier' is in fact accurate. as for the triple rectifier, i believe that's just a play on words.

Isn't a Rectifier just a converter that converts AC to DC (or vice-versa)? If so, then in reality the Single rectifier really is a "Single" rectifer with just the diode (or Solid State) rectifer... right?

Then a Dual has the option of either solid state or tube rectifier, so it's a true Dual Rectifier.

Then there's the triple rectifer, that only has the tube and solid state rectifier option.... So it's basically a Dual rectifere too with 50 more watts, but it has 3 rectifier tubes..... Not very consistant, but all **** good amps!

Word-play to keep them all in the same family since they are based off the same circuitry.

What's in a name? a recto with any other given name sounds just as sweet.

:D

Jaroslav said:
Right as you have said, tele_jas!

Hey man, sorry for doubling what you said, I started typing my response and then got called away for a half an hour and finished it up and you had posted before me, but after I read the post... I guess we're on the same wave-length.

Sorry again for doubling you man, TJ

Don't be sorry, your post is much nicer than mine and explains the thing better.

RR said:
Yeah, that is an inconsistency.
I should have NOT said "inconsistency"

For me rectifier mean voltage supply to the power stage tubes whether its tubes or silicon diode.

fatboy135 said:
I got the assumption (I could have been mislead :oops: ) that fatboy135 thought rectifier associates with rectifier tube(s) only. I know alot guitarists I talk to has the presumption thinking "rectifier" means tube "rectifiers" just because MESA Boogie's model is "Rectifier" whether "Single" or "Dual", "Tri" they think that amp must have tube rectifier(s). Not always the case in a "Single".

Sticking my foot in my mouth :?

The Single Rectifier only has a single rectifiers, same with the Single Rectifier Rectoverb. I believe the Maveric was a Single Rectifier Maveric (though it only used the tube) if I remember correctly.

The Dual Rectifier has dual rectifiers. Same with the Dual Rectifier Trem-O-Verb, Dual Rectifier Road King, and a couple of others which I can't remember off the top of my head.

The Triple Rectifier is actually a Dual Rectifier. The Triple is just a play on words, though some people believe it's because it has three rectifier tubes.

screamingdaisy said:
The Single Rectifier only has a single rectifiers, same with the Single Rectifier Rectoverb. I believe the Maveric was a Single Rectifier Maveric (though it only used the tube) if I remember correctly.

The Dual Rectifier has dual rectifiers. Same with the Dual Rectifier Trem-O-Verb, Dual Rectifier Road King, and a couple of others which I can't remember off the top of my head.

The Triple Rectifier is actually a Dual Rectifier. The Triple is just a play on words, though some people believe it's because it has three rectifier tubes.

The Maverick was a dual.

ok but the question is why if the single has only diodes rectified is called rectified??? All the machines with diodes rectifiers must be rectifiers????
For example my fridge could be a single rectifier??? or maybe my tv???
I have a philips single rectifier tv, :lol: thats sounds great, maybe a bit vintage...

fatboy135 said:
ok but the question is why if the single has only diodes rectified is called rectified??? All the machines with diodes rectifiers must be rectifiers????
For example my fridge could be a single rectifier??? or maybe my tv???
I have a philips single rectifier tv, :lol: thats sounds great, maybe a bit vintage...
well a rectifier is nothing more that what converts AC to DC voltages, so in that way yes, in fact since all amps have rectifers, so you could call them single rectifiers, but theres a reason why when you think 'rectifier' you think MESA. :wink:

to me:

a rectifier is indeed a circuit or component what converts DC to AC signal.
But when we talk about rectifiers and mesa, it's just a name, marketing. The name single, dual, triple etc rectifier is pure a marketing name and, ofcourse it contains a rectifier circuit, it is not the recitifier circuit what defines a mesa recto amp.

Latest posts

Back