The mark V hype

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+2

The IIC+ may be close to the real thing and the IV mode maybe close to the real thing but honestly I think Extreme mode is where the action is. Wow. And no I never had a Mark before. Why would I go back to a less versatile amp when all its 3 glorious channels are there for tapping with my foot AND some more after a few seconds with y fingers. I love this amp. I gigged with my MkV outdoors is dust, in rain got a 2x4 smack on the head and so far the only problem is a seriously addictive bliss .....[/quote]

Absolutely my friend!

Anyone who has not spent sufficient time yet on the extreme mode, I strongly suggest that you do so...

I believe that some folks may have gotten so caught up in the, "gotta see how accurate the IV/IIC+ modes are" that they may not be giving extreme mode a real shot.

For me, I can keep the gain, WAY HIGH in the extreme mode, and get classic rock, high gain rhythm, and Petrucci like solo tones, all in one swipe of the guitar volume knob...and that's before you even get into the graphic eq, or solo boost.

So much cake to this amp...and so much sweet frosting as well. I look back now on the loooong wait, and multiple delays, and it's all forgiven...

I sincerely hope that anyone who's having any issues with their's eventually gets them taken care of, because I'd like for everyone to be as jazzed as I am! :D

Shang Chi 66 said:
+2

The IIC+ may be close to the real thing and the IV mode maybe close to the real thing but honestly I think Extreme mode is where the action is. Wow. And no I never had a Mark before. Why would I go back to a less versatile amp when all its 3 glorious channels are there for tapping with my foot AND some more after a few seconds with y fingers. I love this amp. I gigged with my MkV outdoors is dust, in rain got a 2x4 smack on the head and so far the only problem is a seriously addictive bliss .....

Absolutely my friend!

Anyone who has not spent sufficient time yet on the extreme mode, I strongly suggest that you do so...

I believe that some folks may have gotten so caught up in the, "gotta see how accurate the IV/IIC+ modes are" that they may not be giving extreme mode a real shot.

For me, I can keep the gain, WAY HIGH in the extreme mode, and get classic rock, high gain rhythm, and Petrucci like solo tones, all in one swipe of the guitar volume knob...and that's before you even get into the graphic eq, or solo boost.

So much cake to this amp...and so much sweet frosting as well. I look back now on the loooong wait, and multiple delays, and it's all forgiven...

I sincerely hope that anyone who's having any issues with their's eventually gets them taken care of, because I'd like for everyone to be as jazzed as I am! :D[/quote]

+1 Well said!

thegaindeli said:
Nermel said:
thegaindeli said:
I know this has been beaten to death - but MESA shouldn't have billed the MKV as a historic/replicant of the earlier Mark series amps. At "room volume", the MKV sounds very close its historic counter-parts. But, it's at "stage volume" is where the MKV really comes into its own.:D Maybe MESA will drop the "word-candy" from the faceplate, and give this amp its due credit? I would...

Who cares about "word-candy"...if letters on a faceplate are going to effect my judgment of whether or not an amp sounds good or bad...well then...I don't know what to think...yeah you can say that Mesa misrepresented their amp for their own goal of selling...but that's Marketing, that;s what they are supposed to do...The consumer is supposed to make up there mind buying the amp. Plus they sounds come very close (not Identical but close) so I think Mesa wasn't stretching it that far anyway.

Hmm..I don't think I want to open this can of worms again...I hope I haven't
I'm just say'in - it's weird to have "Mark V" on the front of an amp that doesn't even have a "Mark V" setting? Historically, each Mark series amp has it's own sound signature - hence the progression in the series. I know where you're coming from, and you're making perfect sense... But on the other hand - it's just not historically consistent. It would make more sense (to me anyway) to at least have a MK V setting. I'm just say'in...
Maybe a Mark VI isn't too far off? :wink:

Wonder if the "Extreme" setting on channel 3 is supposed to be the Mark V signature? It is the only thing new.

Anyway, my Mark V Head ships out today from Mesa Hollywood. Finally got the backorders in.

I used to be nothing but Mesa, then got off the wagon for a while. Now, I am back on again. In addition to the Mark V, I have a 91 Mark IV(a) inbound.

Steve

Oldschool said:
I´ve owned a MarkIIC, and MarkIV combos (a long time ago). Now I have a MarkIII head and a MarkV head and for me the MarkV blows them all away. It simply has (for me as a working musician) the most usable sounds and ease of operation of them all.

I think many would be a lot happier if the stopped worrying about the MkV not sounding EXACTLY the same as a IIC+ og a MkIV, and actually started playing their amps more :D

I couldn´t be happier with my MarkV head, Best Boogie I´ve owned :wink:

+1 !

When captain crunch comes out with a chocolate flavored cereal are all these IIC+ dorks going to sit down with a bowl and A/B it with a real chocolate bar? I'll be getting one of these amps next year probably. And its because of the way it sounds and the features it has, not the names on the faceplates. Doesnt anyone have a beating a dead horse smiley?

ryjan said:
... Doesnt anyone have a beating a dead horse smiley?
beat_deadhorse.gif

ryjan said:
When captain crunch comes out with a chocolate flavored cereal are all these IIC+ dorks going to sit down with a bowel and A/B it with a real chocolate bar? I'll be getting one of these amps next year probably. And its because of the way it sounds and the features it has, not the names on the faceplates. Doesnt anyone have a beating a dead horse smiley?

Preaching to the choir man

that smiley is amazing! please we must add that to the list of available smilies. :)

Ok dudes

What's up with this friggin MKV ??? I just offered a friend to buy my mk4 and I haven't even played the V yet.
I'm gasing like a schoolgirl on promnite. Jeeeeeeezzzzzz !!!
:mrgreen:

I know what it is, When I got my mk4 after wanting one for nearly twenty years I felt like I had come home when I played it. So when I play the MKV I'll find that home is a MANSION. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

thegaindeli said:
Does anyone remember "Quisp" cereal? "Quake" wqs awesome too! It was like a turbo-charged version of Cap'n Crunch. :D
**** man... Makes me want to break out my Major Matt Mason collection! :wink:

Gaindeli...

Man, that cereal was delicious...loved it!

Especially Quisp! I can think of and remember almost exactly how it tasted.

King Vitamin was awesome too! Go to Youtube, and type in classic commercials for some really cool fond memories! :lol:

Oldschool said:
I´ve owned a MarkIIC, and MarkIV combos (a long time ago). Now I have a MarkIII head and a MarkV head and for me the MarkV blows them all away. It simply has (for me as a working musician) the most usable sounds and ease of operation of them all.

I think many would be a lot happier if the stopped worrying about the MkV not sounding EXACTLY the same as a IIC+ og a MkIV, and actually started playing their amps more :D

I couldn´t be happier with my MarkV head, Best Boogie I´ve owned :wink:

This post says a mouthfull. He states that the MkV is a vast improvement over the previous Marks in terms of ease of use. That was the goal of Randall Smith and Co. for sure. To make them more user friendly for the Mark series novice will sell more amps. With the MkIV, a novice could paint themselves into a bad tone "corner", and give up on the amp before buying it. All within 30 minutes of playing at their local Boogie dealer. By eliminating all of the pull knobs, it is harder to "put it in the ditch", so to speak.

With all that being said, the lack of the pull knobs limits the variation of tones for the seasoned Mark series user. It's a catch 22 situation for the manufacturer, but in the end selling more new amps wins every time. I would like to see a "Deep" mini toggle on channel 3, but that's just my opinion.

When we did our shootout, we were trying to determine if what was stated in the manual about the C+ mode was 100% accurate. Our result was somewhere between yes and no.

All in all, the MkV is a great amp for the money. 8)

FWIW, I am NOT a snob, NOR a dork!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Since we're all reminiscing about old food items, Jolt Cola. What was that motto? All the sugar, twice the caffeine. Haha.

Latest posts

Back