The mark V hype

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geiri

Reaction score
Ok dudes

I own a mk 4 A version and couldn't be happier. It´s the legendary lv second only to the fabled 2c+ to some. I had no intentions of getting a v after all it's just a copy ehh ; )

Went to my local music store today and noticed a beautiful little thing called MK V. It had a strange pull on me, I didn't dare plug it in, I felt like an addict in the presence of a high quality narcotic.

I resisted and left the store with out trying it. And this is a store with a soundproof room for blasting amps for as long as you want.

I felt pretty good about not buying into the hype. Got home cooked a great dinner for the family with a joy in my heart, I didn't get tempted.
The evening went smoothly and I went about my usual things with the kids and than sat down at the computer to chat with my boogie brothers.

After about an hour or so my wife tapped my on my shoulder asking " why are you selling all this stuff, Both rectifier cabinets one guitar and a **** load of tidbits gathered through the years"

And it was like I awoke from a dream, THE MK V HAD GOT ME AFTER ALL. I was listing my stuff as crazy with out even playing this thing.

It's a strange voodoo these mk's possess and probably the reason we love them.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to share my first encounter with the fifth kind : )

Peace

Geiri

LOL!

Good Story.

I am VERY tempted myself.... there are a bunch at a few of the GC's and local music stores around here.... the V's are calling my name.

Geiri said:
And it was like I awoke from a dream, THE MK V HAD GOT ME AFTER ALL. I was listing my stuff as crazy with out even playing this thing.

and you still haven't played one, right? :? :lol:

thegaindeli said:
I had two of them, and sold them due to some minor issues. (I purchased them both used) I have a Mark IIC+ now, but just can't get the sound(s) of the MKV out of my head! It's just a simple matter of time... I will have the MKV that I want. :D
so, you prefer the V over the IIC+ ?

That's right kiff

Still not heard these in person but I have a few hour test drive scheduled in the store next week.

Yeah... I couldn't even get the sound I wanted out of the **** thing. Went with the Express 5:25 but I'm still having a really hard time talking myself out of not buying a Mark V eventually. :/

Geiri said:
That's right kiff

Still not heard these in person but I have a few hour test drive scheduled in the store next week.

My friend,

I will not go so far as to say that you will prefer the 5 over your IV, that will be for you to determine once you play it. And you'll probaly wind up liking and wanting to own both!

However, there are things that the Mark 5 is capable of that it's predecessor's are not...and I believe that most here would agree that the cleans, and second channel on the 5, are both superior in tone, and how many different (good) sounds are attainable

If I were you, when it's time to go to GC, I'd leave the wallet and/or wife at home, :p :!:

I´ve owned a MarkIIC, and MarkIV combos (a long time ago). Now I have a MarkIII head and a MarkV head and for me the MarkV blows them all away. It simply has (for me as a working musician) the most usable sounds and ease of operation of them all.

I think many would be a lot happier if the stopped worrying about the MkV not sounding EXACTLY the same as a IIC+ og a MkIV, and actually started playing their amps more :D

I couldn´t be happier with my MarkV head, Best Boogie I´ve owned :wink:

Oldschool said:
I´ve owned a MarkIIC, and MarkIV combos (a long time ago). Now I have a MarkIII head and a MarkV head and for me the MarkV blows them all away. It simply has (for me as a working musician) the most usable sounds and ease of operation of them all.

I think many would be a lot happier if the stopped worrying about the MkV not sounding EXACTLY the same as a IIC+ og a MkIV, and actually started playing their amps more :D

I couldn´t be happier with my MarkV head, Best Boogie I´ve owned :wink:

well said!

Geiri said:
Ok dudes

I own a mk 4 A version and couldn't be happier. It´s the legendary lv second only to the fabled 2c+ to some. I had no intentions of getting a v after all it's just a copy ehh ; )

Went to my local music store today and noticed a beautiful little thing called MK V. It had a strange pull on me, I didn't dare plug it in, I felt like an addict in the presence of a high quality narcotic.

I resisted and left the store with out trying it. And this is a store with a soundproof room for blasting amps for as long as you want.

I felt pretty good about not buying into the hype. Got home cooked a great dinner for the family with a joy in my heart, I didn't get tempted.
The evening went smoothly and I went about my usual things with the kids and than sat down at the computer to chat with my boogie brothers.

After about an hour or so my wife tapped my on my shoulder asking " why are you selling all this stuff, Both rectifier cabinets one guitar and a sh!t load of tidbits gathered through the years"

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to share my first encounter with the fifth kind : )

Peace

Geiri

Hmm, I thought you were bankrupt up there? :wink:

thegaindeli said:
I know this has been beaten to death - but MESA shouldn't have billed the MKV as a historic/replicant of the earlier Mark series amps. At "room volume", the MKV sounds very close its historic counter-parts. But, it's at "stage volume" is where the MKV really comes into its own.:D Maybe MESA will drop the "word-candy" from the faceplate, and give this amp its due credit? I would...

Who cares about "word-candy"...if letters on a faceplate are going to effect my judgment of whether or not an amp sounds good or bad...well then...I don't know what to think...yeah you can say that Mesa misrepresented their amp for their own goal of selling...but that's Marketing, that;s what they are supposed to do...The consumer is supposed to make up there mind buying the amp. Plus they sounds come very close (not Identical but close) so I think Mesa wasn't stretching it that far anyway.

Hmm..I don't think I want to open this can of worms again...I hope I haven't

Aart said:
Geiri said:
Ok dudes

After about an hour or so my wife tapped my on my shoulder asking " why are you selling all this stuff, Both rectifier cabinets one guitar and a sh!t load of tidbits gathered through the years"

Peace

Geiri

Hmm, I thought you were bankrupt up there? :wink:

Well were not bankrupt as such. We are just in a tight spot as it is. The nation is divided on wether we should agree on the icesave issue and who's responsibility it really is. As of now are being bullied by the brits and IMF into submission and that's what is causing this stalemate. We have more resources than many countries. Our fish and energy. We have enough energy here to supply europe with with electricity. And now they are researching the dragon zone cause there is very likely oil there. In the words of the norwegian researcher " from my initial research and measures it looks like norway's richest oil wells".

And that is probably the cause for all this bullying. But we've kicked the **** out of the brits before in the cod war. Guess this time we'll have to go viking on their a$$es.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I will hold off for now. When the revision of the V or the Triaxis II comes along, I'm sure everything in my house thats not nailed down will be on craigslist.

ryjan said:
I will hold off for now. When the revision of the V or the Triaxis II comes along, I'm sure everything in my house thats not nailed down will be on craigslist.

That's pretty much my idea for now. This is more of a gas to me rather than an actual need for a new amp.

Is it possible that the NEW specific "MKV" tones are mostly found in channel 1 and 2? Seems that those are totaly different than any other mark series to date. Why does it all have to be about channel 3?

I mean if you dig the tone the V puts out, but don't think there are exact replicant's of the orginals, what is the difference, you still like what you are hearing right?

I have been saying all along that this amp should be judged for what it is...the next in line of the Mark series.

The naysayers have been saying, "doesnt sould like a IIC+ to me". Alright, that's fine...beautiful...perhaps it's only 50% there? 70%? 90% maybe? Depends on who you are and your ears.

I for one, (and I think that this applies to everyone who truly loves this amp), believe that it matters, 0%!

I just got done playing for awhile, spending most of my time on the extreme mode, and gentlemen let me tell ya...this amp is just, absolutely stupid, tremendous!

3 modes to shape & tweak into monster rock, metal, and even sweet blues tones!

Two flippin modes that may, or may not be to any particular person, exactly to the tee like their counterparts...what a colossal missing of the point.

I do believe that it was one Mr. Lee who said, "it's like a finger pointing to the moon...do not concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory"

Yeah...that's it :)

Shang Chi 66 said:
I have been saying all along that this amp should be judged for what it is...the next in line of the Mark series.

The naysayers have been saying, "doesnt sould like a IIC+ to me". Alright, that's fine...beautiful...perhaps it's only 50% there? 70%? 90% maybe? Depends on who you are and your ears.

I for one, (and I think that this applies to everyone who truly loves this amp), believe that it matters, 0%!

I just got done playing for awhile, spending most of my time on the extreme mode, and gentlemen let me tell ya...this amp is just, absolutely stupid, tremendous!

3 modes to shape & tweak into monster rock, metal, and even sweet blues tones!

Two flippin modes that may, or may not be to any particular person, exactly to the tee like their counterparts...what a colossal missing of the point.

I do believe that it was one Mr. Lee who said, "it's like a finger pointing to the moon...do not concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory"

Yeah...that's it :)

+2

The IIC+ may be close to the real thing and the IV mode maybe close to the real thing but honestly I think Extreme mode is where the action is. Wow. And no I never had a Mark before. Why would I go back to a less versatile amp when all its 3 glorious channels are there for tapping with my foot AND some more after a few seconds with y fingers. I love this amp. I gigged with my MkV outdoors is dust, in rain got a 2x4 smack on the head and so far the only problem is a seriously addictive bliss .....

thegaindeli said:
Nermel said:
thegaindeli said:
I know this has been beaten to death - but MESA shouldn't have billed the MKV as a historic/replicant of the earlier Mark series amps. At "room volume", the MKV sounds very close its historic counter-parts. But, it's at "stage volume" is where the MKV really comes into its own.:D Maybe MESA will drop the "word-candy" from the faceplate, and give this amp its due credit? I would...

Who cares about "word-candy"...if letters on a faceplate are going to effect my judgment of whether or not an amp sounds good or bad...well then...I don't know what to think...yeah you can say that Mesa misrepresented their amp for their own goal of selling...but that's Marketing, that;s what they are supposed to do...The consumer is supposed to make up there mind buying the amp. Plus they sounds come very close (not Identical but close) so I think Mesa wasn't stretching it that far anyway.

Hmm..I don't think I want to open this can of worms again...I hope I haven't
I'm just say'in - it's weird to have "Mark V" on the front of an amp that doesn't even have a "Mark V" setting? Historically, each Mark series amp has it's own sound signature - hence the progression in the series. I know where you're coming from, and you're making perfect sense... But on the other hand - it's just not historically consistent. It would make more sense (to me anyway) to at least have a MK V setting. I'm just say'in...
Maybe a Mark VI isn't too far off? :wink:

The Mark V is their 40th anniversary amp. Somehow I doubt they're going to revise or put out a Mark VI for a long, long time.

Latest posts

Back