The Mark IV thread....!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Mark IV is being delivered today! I can't wait... Is there a place other than the manual to find some good starter settings or 'baseline' settings? My friend gave me a crash course in Mk IV usage about a month ago, and I am still bumfuzzled from it... So many knobs!

Oh and mine is supposed to be a 'B' - judging from the serial number...

I'm still trying to find a footswitch for it... Any alternatives to buying one new from Mesa? How does the midi switching work?

Mine arrived today!!! :D
Waiting for my mom's piano student to leave before i can play :evil:

MMJP6, there's a settings database here:
http://grailtone.com/tone-settings/mesa-boogie/view-mark4-settings.html

and I'm jealous! I want a crash cousre too! :cry:

You two are gonna have a fun day 8)
Another gig with my Mark IV last night, this time with just my 1x12 Thiele, playing metal, and another night of great tone!! My poor DR is feeling left out.

Thanks for the welcome Russ!! I would be happy to put something together. I recently replaced the tubes in both with the same Sovteks in the power section. All purchased from Doug. Can't immediately recall what all is in the pre-amp of each. When I post the comparison, I will list everything out so it is clear, is that cool? I will be out of town working for a week or so and will post some comparison stuff when I get a chance to really sit there and tweek.

Here's to being a Mark IV lover!!! :mrgreen:

That'll be really cool if you can.

Hey, everytime I think about my Mark IV getting blasted I get a sh!t-eating grin on my face.

Noob/Quick question. I know the hotter and the more you push your tubes by raising the volume makes the tone better. Does this occur when you raise the channel volume and keep the main master volume lower or is it the other way around?

If you raise the volume on a channel this will saturate you preamp tubes giving more preamp tube distortion, a different kinnda distrotion.

If run your master volume your are saturating your power tubes more,alot of people think power tube distortion sounds better,sweeter and all that its a subjective topic

In the house I run my preamp tubes hotter than the power tubes because its waaaayyy to loud in the house for full blown power tube distortion,preamp tube distortion isnt that nice unless there is a little power amp tube soak there as well,

your best bet is buying an attenuator so you can totally drive your pre and power amp tubes but have the attenuator to soak up the energy and only allow the good stuff through....tone

hope this helps

Thanks a lot man now I understand. :) What would you say is better for a band jam? Having some preamp and powertube distortion loud or steering more towards having the powertubes higher in volume?

Excellent response Mesanomad 100!

Just beware that there are a couple types of attenuators out there. The classic "PowerSoak" type is a non-reactive type that can be very hard on your amp. The reactive types are easier on the amps....these include the THD Hotplate and the Marshall Power Brake.

What to keep in mind when using any attenuator...power tube failure may occur or tube life may be shortened depending on how often and how you use these units. Also, any deficiencies in amp design will probably become apparent as you are working the amp to it's extreme....vintage amps have their own design flaws that crop up over time with these. Poor quality components (tubes included) will how their ugly face as well. Also understand that the speaker(s) affect the sound and response as well...the harder they are pushed (by shear volume) is much different at bedroom levels.

Of course, in a perfect world, we could have well designed, good quality component tube amps that we could crank up to whatever level we want, anywhere we want, and at what time of the day we want!.......lol!

Its really a matter of tonal preferrance

I would say a good mix of both

for example I run my channel2 vintage lead tone on my dual rec with the chennel vol. at about 11 o'clock and then the overall master at about 11 as well I really just set my channel volume then thats it and use the master to turn up the entire volume of the amp If I ever get told to turn up :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

If I ever get told to turn down I just say...."well tell the sax player to turn down" they cant argue woth that....H eaint got a volume knob.... Ha

jjust see what is best,I would say perhaps always aim to have your Master vol. a tad more then the channel but its up to you :)

fpoon...try a blend of both. Or just try different settings while playing with the band..what might work with you playing by yourself might not work within the band setting.

For what it's worth, output tube distortion will offer more articulation/definition to your sound and be more touch sensitive...pick lightly and the sound cleans up...lay into the string(s) with a harder pick attack and the sound distorts. Also, you get better harmonic response by output tube power.

yeah I feel the same when I give advice like this and have it confirmed,makes sure in my head I aint talkin bollocks

HipKitty said:
For what it's worth, output tube distortion will offer more articulation/definition to your sound and be more touch sensitive...pick lightly and the sound cleans up...lay into the string(s) with a harder pick attack and the sound distorts. Also, you get better harmonic response by output tube power.

You speak the truth, my southern brother, preach on!!!!

Latest posts

Back