The MARK IV has arrived!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elpelotero said:
I hope I said all this properly, if not someone please correct me.

You must not have, you only had one emoticon in that whole text. Hah hah. For what it's worth I have never seen an EQ curve that had the 80hz range bottomed out. Petrucci, LOG and pretty much any Mark IV player I've seen have that thing above the centerline, therefor they are boosting it. I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing and their bassists need not complain.

trem said:
visualrocker69 said:
Lead… uhhh… this is really bothering me. There must be something wrong because I am just NOT getting the gain I expect.

Have you found the cause of this? I had a similar problem with my A. It was the preamp tube. Just wondering what causes yours. Thanks.

~trem

It has to be a tube or some other issue. What's your EQ (both dials and graphic) set up like? What levels are you playing at and how's your power section set up?

trem said:
visualrocker69 said:
Lead… uhhh… this is really bothering me. There must be something wrong because I am just NOT getting the gain I expect.

Have you found the cause of this? I had a similar problem with my A. It was the preamp tube. Just wondering what causes yours. Thanks.

~trem

Yeah I have.... It was my own N00B-ness!
Go figure! :shock:

devilrob1979 said:
It has to be a tube or some other issue. What's your EQ (both dials and graphic) set up like? What levels are you playing at and how's your power section set up?
Yeah, it turned out to be the preamp tube. Settings are similar to the classic LA sound taken from the Mark IVA manual.

I noticed another guy having the same problem with his Mark III, and he said it was his optocouplers or something. Just wondering what causes visualrocker's lack of gain.

To visualrocker: exactly, what did you do wrong when you got your lack of gain problem? Thanks.

~trem

Well you see, although I had read the manual and knew that treble played a critical role in shaping the tone of a channel, I didn't expect it to be so critical... didn't want to push treble past 6.5 or 7. Like I said, I definately wasn't in the right mindset. You gotta approach a Mark IV completely differently than other amps. :?

Oh, also, didn't consider pulling out lead gain, drive, or presence. I guess I was kinda hoping I could shape my fundamental lead tone with the more basic controls and THEN see what subtle changes the various pull knobs, graphic eq, etc caused. :x

Bad, bad, bad!!! Even though there are a LOT of variables to consider, you can't just start ignoring them to simplify things, like I tried to. Despite all I've read, I grossly undersestimated the complexity of this amp. I'm very dissapointed in myself indeed! :(

Happy ending though... I'm actually getting great lead tones (considering I've only had it for five days...) Clean was very easy to dial in, very intuitive. The problem will be finding a balance between it and R2, regarding the two shared controls (mid and bass). Speaking of R2, I haven't even touched the channel yet. Initial sample settings left me somewhat unimpressed... but that doesn't say anything about the channel yet. I'll be pursuing a low/mid gain British-esque crunch on it as soon as soon as I dial in MY perfect lead tone. 8)

The only problem I'm having now is that the Mark IV is being held back by my guitar.... a sh!tty ESP F-200 with those dreadful EMG HZ pickups... There's a terrible fizz in the undertones of my lead and I just can't seem to dial it out without losing the edge on the entire channel. Like, the gain and saturation HAVE to be pushed to a certain point to get the sound I want from my amp, but as soon as its even barely there, my pickups start to fizz things up. :twisted: I can't wait to get rid of this guitar and move on to something with good pickups... grrr...

Ahh I see. Glad you've got your enlightment. Maybe try a new pickup first? My favourites are DiMarzio Air Zone and Tom Anderson H2+. Cheers!

~trem

hey trem I gotta ask you,, what is it you like about the air zone? Im thinking of getting one soon,,, Im also looking into the d sonic.
Any suggestions?

Sorry for dropping in on your thread visual rocker,,, although ive been watching it day to day to see just how long its gonna take to figure out all 90 something push,pull,turn and squeeze knobs on it,,,good luck

recto-robbie said:
hey trem I gotta ask you,, what is it you like about the air zone? Im thinking of getting one soon,,, Im also looking into the d sonic.
Any suggestions?
Hey recto-robbie,

Saw your question on another thread as well. I thought you were leaning on Steve's Special?

My guitar is an Ibanez RG565. Air Zone is pretty much a mellower version of Tone Zone. It has a lot of midrange, warm highs, and nice bass. I originally had a Fred in there. I loved the PAF-ish midrange of Fred, but the highs were **** too much. The DiMarzio guys recommended either Breed neck, Norton or Air Zone. The medium output suits me well.

I have no experience on D-Sonic, but Steve's Special is not in the PAF vein, nothing like the Air Zone. Too scooped for my taste, which gives the notion of heavy sound. I don't know how JP did it. Good luck.

~trem

PS: It also depends on the wood and bridge type that you have on your guitar. My guitar tends to be bright (basswood - maple fretboard - edge trem).

visualrocker69 said:
Well you see, although I had read the manual and knew that treble played a critical role in shaping the tone of a channel, I didn't expect it to be so critical... didn't want to push treble past 6.5 or 7. Like I said, I definately wasn't in the right mindset. You gotta approach a Mark IV completely differently than other amps. :?

Oh, also, didn't consider pulling out lead gain, drive, or presence. I guess I was kinda hoping I could shape my fundamental lead tone with the more basic controls and THEN see what subtle changes the various pull knobs, graphic eq, etc caused. :x

Bad, bad, bad!!! Even though there are a LOT of variables to consider, you can't just start ignoring them to simplify things, like I tried to. Despite all I've read, I grossly undersestimated the complexity of this amp. I'm very dissapointed in myself indeed! :(

Every Mark IUV owner had that in the beginning. When I picked up my first Mark IV I wasdissapointed because the lead tone was flubby, harsh, no gain, etc etc.

I took it home because I didn't believe this was all I could get from it. After a week or so I finally found atone that wweent into Metallica area and since that moment I never ever thought about getting rid of my Mark IV.

visualrocker69 said:
I can't wait to get rid of this guitar and move on to something with good pickups... grrr...

Get a set of EMG 81's or 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck. EMG's sound freakin awesome through a Mark IV especially when your into metal. You might want to buy a noise gate though since it may cause some feedback however my house's wiring is fucked and everything is connected close to electronic appliances so I had waaay too much buzzing. If you happen to need one the MXR Smart Gate is great. Give the Mark IV some time though, I too was a noob with it for my first few weeks, had the gain on 10 and **** LOL, and don't go by the settings on the Mark IV settings database, all I have noticed with those are horrible results since everyone's guitars and pickups are different.

I have EMG 81's in my SG and use to have EMG S's in my strat when I had it, and I never liked the sound of those pickups through a tube amp I prefer Dimarzio's, and I use EVO's and PAF's right now and I'm going to get a Tone Zone and maybe an Air Norton for my 7 string with stock pups in it. Point is, in my experience is that EMG's just don't express subtleties, they seem to make it bland, and with a responsive amp like the Mark IV I like being able to use all the dynamics in my hands to get different tones and sounds.

ToneAddictJon said:
Point is, in my experience is that EMG's just don't express subtleties, they seem to make it bland, and with a responsive amp like the Mark IV I like being able to use all the dynamics in my hands to get different tones and sounds.
+1 on that. There is a truth though in the statement that active EMGs are tighter than passive pickups. For some this might be appealing. But with the Mark IV already a very tight amp, I don't feel the EMG has their place anymore. Just my opinion.

~trem

w/e I feel they have a clear enough tone and are perfect for metal. That is all.

fpoon said:
w/e I feel they have a clear enough tone and are perfect for metal. That is all.
And I respect that. After all, Hetfield, Mustaine, Lukather and Reb Beach use active PU, and I love them all. Cheers.

I know EMG 81/8_ are perfect for metal, and when I'm getting my 3rd or 4th gutiar, it'll probably be an ESP Eclipse II with EMG's.

...but right now, I want something with passive pickups, and all the dynamics and nuances they offer.

Do any of you like the ever-so-popular Seymour Duncan JB/59 pair? It seems to be in every other guitar these days... and has been for decades... Or is it just overrated?

Anyway, I'm getting a used JP-6 in red pearburst (pre D-Sonic), no extra options, no bells and whistles. When I'm good enough, I'll sell it and get something more flashy like one with piezo, matching headstock, JP inlays in Mystic Dream, but right now, I really have to just focus on developing my skills.

The JB/59 setup is still one of the best. Nothing wrong with them at all and plenty of tonal options available with those pups. I actually had that set in my LP and loved it, if only Gibson would make a 7 string........ I hate OCD, but I guess it comes with being a musician.

I wouldn't worry about selling the JP-6 after you develop your skills on it, if you're buying something just to pass the time until you can afford something better, get the cheapest possible setup that you can sell for what you pay for it, and if you want to develop your skills get something that has higher action, and really makes you work for it. Theres nothing wrong with an older fender strat or tele with medium-high action and a baseball bat neck, that will help build your strength, dexterity, and endurance.

Latest posts

Back