The impact of string gauge on tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gonzo said:
one of the guys with the biggest tone of all....

allan holdsworth.

uses .008's.

LOL

I think Vai uses 009's or 008's too. Personally I find 10's to be a great balance of tone and playability.

Vai, Petrucci, Di Meola, Satriani and EVH all use 9 gauge strings (Petrucci uses bigger strings on instruments that are tuned down)

I too enjoy the hybrid slinks a lot of the time, I'm still young but have been trying to get to know my preference. I know by now at least that that preference is ernie ball! this isn't an endorsement I'm just sayin'...The new guitar world mag has a 3 page article guide to strings!@

Well growing up playing guitar I always bought Ernie ball because they were fairly cheap. Then I started using elixirs because of the life of the strings. THen all of the sudden( i think I got a bad couple packs or something) I snapped two low E's in a row changing my strings during the first tuning! I havn'et broke a guitar string in 3-4 years and I was stunned. That basically made both of those packs useless and I was pissed. I know it was probably a fluke or maybe my tuner battery was dying, I dunno. I have a pretty good ear though and I'm sure that I didnt have em THAT far out. Anyways, I'm back to Slinky's now, no way I'm spending that kinda money on something that breaks.
----Everyone here says that the longer they play the lighter they like their strings. (well several of you said this anyways) I myself have been just the opposite. In my teens I played with 8's so I could bend easier, I loved them. Extra slinky's I think, b/c the super slinky's are 9's. Anyways, the older I got the heavier I like the gauge and now I'm all the way up to Power slinky's, lol. I love the fat bass rythym you get from 11's, lol. Maybe I should try those hybrids, I always wanted to.

found the skinny tops heavy bottoms slinkies to be very unbalanced. I must have good hand strength because i've never had problems with 11 be hard t move around.

I use D'Addario 12-56 on my Les Paul Custom and 13-60 on my Les Paul Classic all tuned drop C and i don't think i could use anything lighter. Don't think it really makes a difference to my tone, but it certainly helps with sustain and adds alot of girth to big chords.

Don't know about anybody else but i have severe problems using an unwound G string on my Les Pauls. They just don't seem to intonate correctly for me. Anybody else find this?

string tension plays a big role here.
have a look at the the string package it tells you the tension of each string when in tune. the low E is always the lowest tension and it should be much tighter so it doesnt give you flabby bass notes.

my fav set ever was a d'addario 10 ,but with the 46gauge low E swaped out to a 49gauge that gets it balanced pretty good big chords are big it doesnt compromise the clean sounds ..perfect IMO

string tension plays a big role here

i totally agree. as much as i love the feel of having my guitars tuned down a half-step, they unquestionably sound better when tuned up to 440. i guess all the extra tension gets all that wood and metal vibrating more, offering up a more "alive" sound to my ears.

When I play in the AC/DC band as Malcolm, I only use Gibson 12-56 strings. I can nail Mal's tone with my JTM-45 clone and my Gretsch. When I was experimenting for a classic lead tone, I tried the light top, heavy bottom path. At the same time, I decided to go with nickel wrapped strings. I now have a lead and rhythm sound that I am very happy with. The strings are 9's on top and 10's on the bottom, and nickel plated. I use my volume knob around 7 to get my rhythm sound and kick it to 10 for leads. This works very well for me, and I have gotten positive feedback on my tone. When I want to go a little heavier, I'll bring out the distortion pedal. I use this setup with my TR, minus the pedal, and it rocks!!

Generally speaking about string gauges and the effect on tone....I notice that when I go heavier, the sound becomes fatter and smoother. Going lighter gives a thinner, clearer sound. Too light though doesn't sound good to me.

I enjoy tweaking way too much. Maybe I should be a guitar tech instead on an Accountant!

Bleeding Recto said:
I use D'Addario 12-56 on my Les Paul Custom and 13-60 on my Les Paul Classic all tuned drop C and i don't think i could use anything lighter. Don't think it really makes a difference to my tone, but it certainly helps with sustain and adds alot of girth to big chords.

Don't know about anybody else but i have severe problems using an unwound G string on my Les Pauls. They just don't seem to intonate correctly for me. Anybody else find this?
I tune to drop C also.

I've always played 10s or 11s and I've always had problems with my unwound F string on a Les Paul (or equivalent). I even play an LTD Deluxe now and I still have problems keeping the F string in tune. It's especially obvious during octave chords. At what string size is the F string wound?

I really don't like extra heavy strings and I usually play 10-46. I used to use DR but have been informed that DR string can cause me even more tuning issues because of the way they're manufactured and packaged. I was told that a DR string has a greater probability of variance from pack to pack (then some other brands) and so the DR strings that i used to intonate the guitar the first time may not be the same as the next pack of DR string that I use (which would throw my tuning off).

I recently switched to D'adarrios but I don't like them as much as the DRs and I think the strings are giving me a new problem too. When I hit an open chord, sometimes the chord will flatten out even when I haven't hit/strummed it too hard. So the string will kind of vibrate too hard and give me a "waaa-oohm" sound instead of a nice clean (in tune) chord.

I don't know what to do. Maybe I'll try Ernie Balls. What do you think? Has anyone (playing heavy aggressive stuff) had any luck with string brands other then DRs or D'Adarrios?

personally i use sit 9-46
and 9-54 for my 7
back in the day i used blue steel for a while but they tarnish so fast and break so easily
went to D'adarios and they are great but again short life span
never had a problem with sit been using them for about five years think i've only ever broken 2 strings since using them

one thing i don't understand tho is why so many people do the whole drop c tuning. I really think any serious guitarist should own a seven string
(i am biased tho) :)
It makes life so much more interesting not to mention the versitillity.

DR's. best strings I have found. Last longer, and very rarely break.

11's on my PRS and 10's on my strat (the slightly longer scale of the strat increases the tension a bit compared to the PRS, according to my tech).

Anything lighter just feels too flimsy.

I used to play 10's on the PRS and I definitely noticed a tonal difference when I switched to 11's.

That being said, it really depends on rig, especially in terms of how much gain you are running, to how much you will here a difference. You could probably string you axe with dental floss and not hear a noticable drop in tone if you are running enough distortion :p

I would have to say that the string gage does affect tone a little, but I think the only person that would notice it would be you. I just went back to .009's after 21 years of .010's and I don't have a noticeable difference in tone. You might have a difference if say you went from .009's to a set of .012's on a Strat that is played on a clean channel tuned down a step but that's about all. I don't hear what string brand or gage a player is using, just the overall tone.

Latest posts

Back