The ideal way to turn off a tube amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surj33t

Reaction score
It may be a stupid question, but I'm curious - I have a Roadster (my first "real" amp) and I've always turned it off by first switching it on standby, and waiting a minute and then turning off the main power switch. This naturally makes more sense to me. But I was told by a friend at work that for tube amps, it's better to strum a chord really hard and then go straight to switching off the main power, thus "draining the tubes" or something. His way seems a little strange to me and I'm just trying to be clear on what is the ideal way to turn off my amp. Anyone?

Haha, well I was trying not to dismiss so fast him because he's a really smart guy, and has been playing with tube amps for maybe 15 years now. But it seems he's most likely wrong. I have some very insightful discussions with him about any topic. He can explain electronics to me, and he seems to always know what's he talking about. So I wonder why he thinks he's better off in doing what he's doing by playing a chord hard and powering off...

I have been using tube amps a lot longer than 15 years and find the 'Hit a big chord' thing funny. Hitting a big chord is NOT going to be 'draining the tubes out' in any way.

True story: I did a tour of the Soldano factory once. At the end we got to hang out with Mike (who just may be the coolest guy on the planet) for a while...he did an amp demo for us and at the end he just reached over and turned off the main power and the standby at the same time.

Once of the guys on the tour asked him about it and Mike said "just turn it off...when anyone tells you anything else you should just smile and feel sorry them."

Because Mike is telling the truth, the only time it is really a big deal is when turning it on, but when you just hit the power off it will actually drain the caps which is not a bad thing.

Power surges hurt an amp, not slow power drains.

Rocky said:
I have been using tube amps a lot longer than 15 years and find the 'Hit a big chord' thing funny. Hitting a big chord is NOT going to be 'draining the tubes out' in any way.

True story: I did a tour of the Soldano factory once. At the end we got to hang out with Mike (who just may be the coolest guy on the planet) for a while...he did an amp demo for us and at the end he just reached over and turned off the main power and the standby at the same time.

Once of the guys on the tour asked him about it and Mike said "just turn it off...when anyone tells you anything else you should just smile and feel sorry them."

I have met guys that have NO IDEA. Once met a guy that warmed his amp up for 30 minutes then did 30 on standby to cool it down. He was adamant about this being the best way to save tubes and keep the amp healthy. He went through tubes like a bugger.

I turn the amp on for about a minute then go off standby...on power down I turn the mains and standby off at the same time. I have never had any issues with these practices....nor will I.

Switching off the standby after turning off the power drains the filter caps. Turning the standby on and off after shutting the power off does the same thing.

I don't recommend doing this every time you turn you amp off.

Some people do this instead of properly draining the caps before opening up and amp to work on it. Though this is usually effective, it's not safe to trust it alone.

Strumming a chord while doing this adds no benefit that I know of.

Turn straight off, wait 10-15 seconds, flip to standby.
There is no debate. :roll:

You guys are idiots.

The best way to "turn off" a tube amp is to tell it you've been looking at solid state amps. :lol:

Murph.

Don said:
Switching off the standby after turning off the power drains the filter caps. Turning the standby on and off after shutting the power off does the same thing.

I don't recommend doing this every time you turn you amp off.

Some people do this instead of properly draining the caps before opening up and amp to work on it. Though this is usually effective, it's not safe to trust it alone.

Strumming a chord while doing this adds no benefit that I know of.

that's the ticket right there.

Actually, if you hit a chord a few seconds after turning it on standby, you'll hear the chord ring out and decay, sort of as if the electricity was filtering out. That's what your friend was referring to.

Surj33t said:
It may be a stupid question, but I'm curious - I have a Roadster (my first "real" amp) and I've always turned it off by first switching it on standby, and waiting a minute and then turning off the main power switch. This naturally makes more sense to me. But I was told by a friend at work that for tube amps, it's better to strum a chord really hard and then go straight to switching off the main power, thus "draining the tubes" or something. His way seems a little strange to me and I'm just trying to be clear on what is the ideal way to turn off my amp. Anyone?

I have heard electrons are afraid and tend to run away from a properly strummed Am7 chord. Really :)

Murphy Slaw is right... :lol: Way to go Murph!

Seriously, just turn it off. The only reason for the chord strum thang after turnoff is to quickly drain the capacitors so that the user doesn't shock the piss out of himself if immediately planning to put his fingers somewhere in the chassis where they don't normally belong to do some tech weenie-ing... and a "by the numbers" methodical tech will manually ground out the charged stuff to the chassis as a matter of standard procedure anyway. After a bit of time the caps drain no matter what, the strum just speeds up the process.

I followed a similar thread over at TGP. A couple of posters had some seemingly good reasons for shutting down the mains first, then the standby. Things like less stress on the standby switch and tubes. I say seemingly because the technical aspect was way over my head.

Darden said:
I followed a similar thread over at TGP. A couple of posters had some seemingly good reasons for shutting down the mains first, then the standby. Things like less stress on the standby switch and tubes. I say seemingly because the technical aspect was way over my head.

TGP?

Its not over your head. By turning the mains off 1st, you drain residual voltages from OTs, caps, etc increasing the life of those components. Additionally, if you or a tech opens up the amp, it is at the safest state possible as techs will drain before sticking their hands in anyway for safety's sake.

Lastly, by throwing your switch to standby after draining the amp, you are actually preparing it for the next time you fire it up. The act of hitting a chord right before you kill the mains is so you can feel good that you hear it draining. It is entirely optional, just wait about 10-15 seconds before throwing to standby to be sure.

i switch to standby, wait 10 seconds, and then turn it off....

IS THAT BAD?

DeFrag said:
Its not over your head. By turning the mains off 1st, you drain residual voltages from OTs, caps, etc increasing the life of those components. Additionally, if you or a tech opens up the amp, it is at the safest state possible as techs will drain before sticking their hands in anyway for safety's sake.

Lastly, by throwing your switch to standby after draining the amp, you are actually preparing it for the next time you fire it up. The act of hitting a chord right before you kill the mains is so you can feel good that you hear it draining. It is entirely optional, just wait about 10-15 seconds before throwing to standby to be sure.
Just curious: Why is it that none of these rather elaborate procedures are never mentioned on any manufacturer's website or in any owner's manual, since, say, oh, the beginning of time?
And please don't say it's because they want their stuff to "wear out" faster so I have to buy a new amp more often.

Back