The great debate

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one

• 2 channel Dual

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MKIV

• RK I

• Other

• Total voters

mesanomad100

Reaction score
Well been thinkin what to spend my next bunch of savings on,Im really happy with my lovely guitars,Im really happy with my lovely 3 Channel Dually,Im gonna by my third mesa,which shall it be;
*Dual rec 2 channel,the earliest I can find
*MKIV short head,brand new or second hand
*Used RK I
*Another Mesa range,ie MKIII or Tremoverb

What do you guys think ;)

Am I right in sayin the roadster has the refurbished clean channel the recto range has which is basically a lonestar circuit,mmmmm sound fab

might consider :s

I think the MK IV is the best of the bunch. I am just not a fan of the Recto drive for the long haul but it is cool to have around I will admit. If you look at the trends here it seems many people get excited with their Recto series amp but after the honeymoon there are second guesses not to mention PROBLEMS. Wouldn't it be terrible if you bought a RK and it was just plagued with problems? There are a few people that I remember who didn't mesh with the Mk IV but I can only think of a few.

I think you can be rest assured with the R&D that went into the MK IV (since the 70's and finally settling down to its current incarnation in the 90's with the introduction of the B version). I think that speaks a lot but is just my biased opinion.

These posts keep coming up lately and the results are always the same. The people from the vintage section recommend the MK series and the people from the modern section recommend the rectifier series. There needs to be a new hybrid amp with a roadking 2 and mark iv welded together so we can end this debate!

Can we get a photochop of this anyone?

Greg

normaly i would say 2 channel dual rec, but since you have the Rec Bases covered with your three channel, my vote also goes for the Mark IV for a variety of different sounds.

My fave Mesa would have to be the Tremoverb, but if I were to have more than one, and had a Solo head, I'd want a significant difference! In your case, probably a Stiletto, Mark IV, or Lonestar! Lotta help huh? :roll: :oops: :? :wink:

I dont think the Mark IV has a better gain, and i think alot of people on this board get talked into thinking the Mark IV is a better amp.

What it comes down to is, what music do you mostly play when deciding on an amp and also where you gonna mostly be playing?

I can tell you now for the bedroom/home player a rec will do you better, it just sounds better at lower volumes, where a Mark IV needs to be cranked!

But also like i said depends on music style, both are suited for different styles, you will never get a Rec tone out of a mark IV and you will never get a Mark IV tone out of a Rec.

As to problem, I see just as many problems with the vintage amps as I do with the rec's. And alot of problems have to do with the fact that alot of people that play rec's are of the younger generation and they make a mistake and screw it up!

As to the honeymoon period. Well right now the Rec's just arent really in favor, they were used for so long most people now turn away from them. I see alot of bands going back to more of a classic sound and EL34 driven amps.

disassembled said:
I think the MK IV is the best of the bunch. I am just not a fan of the Recto drive for the long haul but it is cool to have around I will admit. If you look at the trends here it seems many people get excited with their Recto series amp but after the honeymoon there are second guesses not to mention PROBLEMS. Wouldn't it be terrible if you bought a RK and it was just plagued with problems? There are a few people that I remember who didn't mesh with the Mk IV but I can only think of a few.

I think you can be rest assured with the R&D that went into the MK IV (since the 70's and finally settling down to its current incarnation in the 90's with the introduction of the B version). I think that speaks a lot but is just my biased opinion.

These posts keep coming up lately and the results are always the same. The people from the vintage section recommend the MK series and the people from the modern section recommend the rectifier series. There needs to be a new hybrid amp with a roadking 2 and mark iv welded together so we can end this debate!

Greg

Best bet is try each out before if possible. I prefer my triple to any of the amps you mentioned that I have tried. I have found that even if the majority like a certain product that doesn't mean I will. Case in point is the Dual I will take my Triple any day over any Dual I have ever heard or tried yet most seem to prefer it.

To each his own.

siggy14 said:
I dont think the Mark IV has a better gain, and i think alot of people on this board get talked into thinking the Mark IV is a better amp.

What it comes down to is, what music do you mostly play when deciding on an amp and also where you gonna mostly be playing?

I can tell you now for the bedroom/home player a rec will do you better, it just sounds better at lower volumes, where a Mark IV needs to be cranked!

But also like i said depends on music style, both are suited for different styles, you will never get a Rec tone out of a mark IV and you will never get a Mark IV tone out of a Rec.

As to problem, I see just as many problems with the vintage amps as I do with the rec's. And alot of problems have to do with the fact that alot of people that play rec's are of the younger generation and they make a mistake and screw it up!

As to the honeymoon period. Well right now the Rec's just arent really in favor, they were used for so long most people now turn away from them. I see alot of bands going back to more of a classic sound and EL34 driven amps.

disassembled said:

Greg

You're entitled to your opinion Siggy14 so don't take this as an attack of that but I think a few things should be clarified.

If anything, the Mark IV sounds far better at low volumes than a Rectifier does simply because you can scale it down to Class A and get huge power tube saturation. There's no way in hell you're doing that with a Recto without a power soak or cranking the piss out of it. Low volumes on a recto without utilizing the tone robbing master output control sound like a swarm of angry bees inside a hand saw factory.

The Mark series is classic, the tone inspired a whole generation of amplifiers... just like the Recto did by breaking these same molds when it came out.

The Mark IV covers far more ground with way more versatility than any rectifier to date except the Road King series. If the OP already has a 3CH DR and wants something else, it's safe to assume that he's looking for something different.

I spent almost 3 years tweaking basically everything I could on the Recto and could never get a tone I was happy with except the recto sound. I spent forever trying tubes, settings, etc. It does the Recto thing really well but it just can't hold a candle to the cleans and leads of something from the Mark series. This is not a fault of the amp at all, it's just made for people who like that sound. I found out while I dig the recto crush, the Mark just provides so much more it's astounding.

I have been turning knobs on my Mark IV for about a month now and haven't found a single bad tone once.. with the Recto it was like months of frustration with my tone yielding one 'holy grail' tone that would sound different the next time I came back to it.

There's my two cents on the matter, people are bound to disagree but that's what it's all about :)

See and I disagree with you, i have tried the Mark IV serveral times and it sounds like crap at low volumes even in class A. Yeah it still solo's fine, but for rythem at low volume, yuck!

I guess I use the recto without the loops so the master is always cranked and I dont get the buzziness. Plus I do know how to EQ and amp like you wouldnt believe, I guess after 22 years of playing i have learned many tricks.

Also please read my post before my long post, I also suggested the Mark IV because he already had a recto, and that is what i voted for. However if he was going for his first mesa, I would have first asked him what style of music he is going for, what groups and tones does he always seem to like better.

As the the Mark IV being more verstile besides the roadking, i disagree. The 3 channel rec's are very verstile, the pushed on that amp is one of the best tones I have heard, between raw, modern and vintage you can get many sounds. Go between tube or diode rec's, please hands down it is super verstile!

As to lead sounds, I will go up with my rackmount recto against a mark IV any day and you know what, most people will not even be able to tell the difference between the two amps. i can make my dual scream, actually i love to solo through my dual rec more then i do through my bogner XTC!

Like you said, you just couldnt tweak the amp to your liking and obvious by the amps you have now the recto is just not your thing. HOWEVER it does not mean the Mark IV is a better amp and more verstile, it is just better for YOUR liking!

If you truly want me to be a dick, I can just say this, take a look at the number of recto users compared to the number of all the Mark Series amps put together, and the recto still crushes them with mighty numbers! But that doesnt mean it is a better amp, just a amp that most people prefer, however it does not take anything away from the Mark Series.

But alot of people on this board have that attitude, just because i dont like that amp and couldnt tweak it, that it is obvious the amp I am playing is better.

What alot of people on this board realy need to learn to do is express there opinions better. IN YOUR Opinion the Mark IV is a better amp for YOU, however that does not mean it is a better amp then anything out there for everyone else!

Once again I think both are great amps, just tired of people on here saying that the Mark IV is such a better amp, when it really is not! Just a different amp then the recto and depending on your style of music it might be a better choice.

Platypus said:
siggy14 said:

disassembled said:

Greg

You're entitled to your opinion Siggy14 so don't take this as an attack of that but I think a few things should be clarified.

If anything, the Mark IV sounds far better at low volumes than a Rectifier does simply because you can scale it down to Class A and get huge power tube saturation. There's no way in hell you're doing that with a Recto without a power soak or cranking the piss out of it. Low volumes on a recto without utilizing the tone robbing master output control sound like a swarm of angry bees inside a hand saw factory.

The Mark series is classic, the tone inspired a whole generation of amplifiers... just like the Recto did by breaking these same molds when it came out.

The Mark IV covers far more ground with way more versatility than any rectifier to date except the Road King series. If the OP already has a 3CH DR and wants something else, it's safe to assume that he's looking for something different.

I spent almost 3 years tweaking basically everything I could on the Recto and could never get a tone I was happy with except the recto sound. I spent forever trying tubes, settings, etc. It does the Recto thing really well but it just can't hold a candle to the cleans and leads of something from the Mark series. This is not a fault of the amp at all, it's just made for people who like that sound. I found out while I dig the recto crush, the Mark just provides so much more it's astounding.

I have been turning knobs on my Mark IV for about a month now and haven't found a single bad tone once.. with the Recto it was like months of frustration with my tone yielding one 'holy grail' tone that would sound different the next time I came back to it.

There's my two cents on the matter, people are bound to disagree but that's what it's all about :)

settle down boys. These posts always end up like this. Just read my original post...the modern guys usually stick with the modern amps and the vintage guys stick usually with the vintage amps in their opinions. It's understandable and everyone has their reasons but this is just a online forum for people to express their opinions not prove a theory through empirical evidence.

This board is full of bad info and hasty opinions so I really only pay attention to a few people here. Let's keep it on topic before this thread turns into a pissing match of who can make the best case for their argument.

I think we should have the entire board attend group therapy to get in touch with their softer Mesa side.

Greg

siggy14 said:
I guess I use the recto without the loops so the master is always cranked and I dont get the buzziness. Plus I do know how to EQ and amp like you wouldnt believe, I guess after 22 years of playing i have learned many tricks.
Your keeping me guessing as to how your using your amp! (Loop bypassed, Master cranked?)

EQ'n an amp is a personal thing, what makes you so unbelievable?

22 years of playing has nothing to do with understanding an amp?

Hello!

This what I was meaning
I already have and use a 3channel Rec,Its one If not thee best amp i have ever played...My Opinion

Im llokin for a change,the complete opposite to the rec as I would use both together A/Bing between them

The rec is an amazing amp,you see this by the number of them which have been sold.FACT

The MK's are smoother,I like this quality in them some dont,matter of opinion,these are not bad amps nor are recs

I like the clean channel on my 3channel but a different texture of clean would be nice,somethin fendery(but be a wide *** an say buy a fender)at the same time something with some smooth leads would be great...which amp does this statement relate best with.

So I have the great rythem sound from my rec(ohh I also love the lead tones as well),now I f I want Petrucci esque liquid leads I take it its a MK Im lookin for?????

But what about those more 3 dimensional cleans,is it perhaps a Lonestar I want

Just wondered what the majority of the Board thought about this,Iknew it was gonna be a MK verses REC battle...But then again which would win,Alot of the time greater numbers on such a large scale win................

:)

With the loop off the master is on full. I think i explained this in my last post.

And if you dont know the difference between people who can EQ good and people that can EQ bad, well then you havent been in this business long enough.

Because in 22 years of playing I have learned alot about amps, not only how to EQ them, but how they work, under what conditions they work best etc...

But back to the thread, MY POINT in this thread and the rest of the post's is STOP TELLING everyone that the Mark IV is the best amp. It is a great amp, but so is the recto. But just because a Mark IV might be right for someone does not mean it is right for everyone. Just like the Rec is a great amp and it might be right for some people and not right for other people.

I know one thing, if i was a new person looking for an amp and i got a whole bunch of buy this amp, and then i go and spend 1200 to 1900 dollars on an amp and get it home and it is completly not my thing, I would be really pissed!

But that is the thing, people on this board will be quick to jump and say get the Mark IV just because it is there favorite.

jbird said:
siggy14 said:
Your keeping me guessing as to how your using your amp! (Loop bypassed, Master cranked?)

EQ'n an amp is a personal thing, what makes you so unbelievable?

22 years of playing has nothing to do with understanding an amp?

Hello!

That is why i suggested a Mark IV in an earlier post, I have a Bogner XTC for contrast as well as a Peavy Ultra 1x12 combo and a DC3 1x12 Combo. i also have an ADA MP1 Pre-amp and a marshall JMP-1 pre-amp going into a Randall Tube Power amp.

Sorry to hi jack your thread, i just got tired of everyone always saying the Mark IV is the best choice.

mesanomad100 said:
This what I was meaning
I already have and use a 3channel Rec,Its one If not thee best amp i have ever played...My Opinion

Im llokin for a change,the complete opposite to the rec as I would use both together A/Bing between them

The rec is an amazing amp,you see this by the number of them which have been sold.FACT

The MK's are smoother,I like this quality in them some dont,matter of opinion,these are not bad amps nor are recs

I like the clean channel on my 3channel but a different texture of clean would be nice,somethin fendery(but be a wide *** an say buy a fender)at the same time something with some smooth leads would be great...which amp does this statement relate best with.

So I have the great rythem sound from my rec(ohh I also love the lead tones as well),now I f I want Petrucci esque liquid leads I take it its a MK Im lookin for?????

But what about those more 3 dimensional cleans,is it perhaps a Lonestar I want

Just wondered what the majority of the Board thought about this,Iknew it was gonna be a MK verses REC battle...But then again which would win,Alot of the time greater numbers on such a large scale win................

:)

siggy14 said:
But back to the thread, MY POINT in this thread and the rest of the post's is STOP TELLING everyone that the Mark IV is the best amp. It is a great amp, but so is the recto. But just because a Mark IV might be right for someone does not mean it is right for everyone. Just like the Rec is a great amp and it might be right for some people and not right for other people.

I know one thing, if i was a new person looking for an amp and i got a whole bunch of buy this amp, and then i go and spend 1200 to 1900 dollars on an amp and get it home and it is completly not my thing, I would be really pissed!

But that is the thing, people on this board will be quick to jump and say get the Mark IV just because it is there favorite.

Hey if someone asks my opinion I give it. What's the big deal? If you don't like the Mark IV well, ok then. If someone buys an amp off of someone's recommendation without doing their own homework is just not a smart person IMO and probably needs a few lessons on how to spend large sums of money.

I don't understand why you are so heated that the people who favor a particular amp will recommend it to others. If that wasn't the case then I wouldn't own any of the stuff that I do now because I can't try it. Maybe Mesa isn't even the right company for this guy for what he's looking for. Then would it be your fault if he bought another Mesa at your recommendation just to find that he wasn't completely satisfied with it? Just give your recommendation and move on. Unless you have some valid points as to why he shouldn't go with something leave it alone.

You are on the verge of being put on time out and getting your dessert taken away.

Greg

Siggy14 I agree totally with every word you havesaid I wouldnt have bought a dual rec if I didnt like it,I wouldnt trade her for a MKIV to ME the MKIV is less of an amp than the recto's..MY OPINION

Ohhh and the longer you have been playing does have somethin to do with your knowledge of how amps work,you find out through years of experiance that this EQ control adds more gain or this precence control does this and this amps has its its EQ sitting here as opposed to here and this will affect it in this way,Im not saying an 80 year old Jazzer who has been playing for 60 years will be the tonal genius he will probably just plug into any amp with his hollowbody and jazz it out,cause he has found how to work with GEAR what works for him,this would only happen with experiance I know people like this,its true

Years do help Im only 17 and have been playing High performance amps for the majority of my life(all mesa's) and I know a hell of a lot more than most 17m year olds do about amp characteristics than most 17 year old I have meet(not to be modest or that),thats how I can fix my own problems out when I get into some troube with my Boogie

I dont like people being attacked on this forum for disagreeing with an opinion then again I play rec's so Im gonna be biased with Siggy but we all have opinions remeber that

Being that you already have a 3ch Dual Rec. I would suggest giving the Mark IV a shot. It really depends upon the flavor of music you are playing and the tone you are looking for with the gear you have. Obviously in the long run it will be your ability to make any amp you have make the sound you want it to. I am saying Mark IV just for completing the basic Mesa sound palette. The Dual Rec has its virtues as does the Mark IV. I just don't think that there would be appreciable gains in going any other direction. The RK would give you a nice clean and more Rec sound. A Tremoverb will give you more Rec sound plus feeble tremolo and reverb that you might as well get from outboard effects. The Lonestar will give you great cleans but falls short in the rest of the gain world. A Mark III can be better than a Mark IV in some aspects but isn't nearly as versatile. It really depends upon what you want and what you want to use it for. Personally I have a Mark IV but recognize the inability to do what the Dual Recs do best. I don't need a RK. I find cleans to be good enough in the Mark IV not to look elsewhere. If I needed cleaner clean I would be shopping a JC-120. In fact, I keep an eye out for a deal on one because that clean is clean. I have a 2 ch. Dual coming home soon and that will pretty much take care of my Mesa fix. So my 2 cents would be to combine your Dual Rec with a Mark IV and be done.

Russ chhers for that,I love my rec,the gain weilding purple monster it is,Iam recording tomorrow with a Roland Jazz chorus for all my clean sounds,I love super clean sounds recorded,I dont like marshall tone,so no el34 based amp,I love Mesa and always have and will really only spend seroius cash on an anmp if it has been born in Pentaluma,pretty sad and narrow minded I Know but they are a safe name to go by and customer service is top of the game,The skull crushing gain I would ever need is caterd for in my Rec,now for somethin smoother,like a MK series,MKI,II,III or IV,I am depending on this thread as there is no way to check out a MKII or III,the most important thing is versitility,my band demand that from me,our other guitarist/singer uses a fender deluxe 1x12" and she gets an amazing tone from this,very one sounding so I need to spread the sound palete out a little,So it looks like a MKIV,I have played a small combo very quetly and I really didnt like it,suppose I t would need to be cranked

Ill check it out

cheers folks,any other suggestions

Latest posts

Back