The cats out of the bag...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strat N My Stuff

Reaction score
My last post gives away that I am new to tube amps and didn't know that the Master Volume is turned up LAST, after the Guitar volume and pre-amp volume.

I still am not sure that the 5:25 is going to get enough headroom on channel 1 clean. It has a really good attack on the 25 a/b setting and when I switched the 10" to the 4 ohm, I really liked the sounds. I thought the other 1x12" was working, but it wasn't. Plugged in but no sound????

The dealer said I could "TRADE UP" if I want to. So, Mon. I'll test what he has. He doesn't have the 5:50 which would be the next logical choice.

I mostly play classic rock, Zepplin, SRV, Stones, Beatles, STP; some newer stuff, Live, Nickleback, Creed; and even some tame stuff like JT, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, CS&N; little country too.

The LSC should be an even trade or better with the blow out prices I heard about, but he didn't seem to know of that :shock: He has a LSC, but said I wouldn't find more headroom there.

I was orignally thinking max. Class "A" config, based on recommendation to get quality "Tone", but maybe the LSC either 06 or 07 fits???
If I can't get the 06 at the deal price, might as well wait for an 07 with the extra 10 class A.

Here is the Question: Could it just be I don't know enough about settings and the 5:25 is capable, I just need to learn how to adjust as needed???

It's just my opinion, but I would think that you'd get a lot more clean headroom out of an LSC than the 5:25. It's pushing 4 times the power and the speaker is a 12" versus the 10" in the 5:25. The '07 LSC will give you 10 watts of class A sound and at 50/100 watts it will be class A/B. The '06 LSC is the one that some stores are discounting and does not have the class A option.

There are some recommended settings that come with the amps, and you might try using them to start with for your comparisons. Many times they are on a plastic card that come with the amp, or you may be able to find them in the manuals.

Good luck on whichever amp you purchase. There are a number of variables on a tube amp that determine volume. Volume, Master, Gain, and the treble knobs can all affect your overall volume, as well as, your power settings. Go to the Mesa site and download the manuals of the amps that you are interested in. That may give you more insite on tube amps and their settings.

Assuming you guys knew that I bought the 5:25 and in using the "suggested clean" setting I found no headroom at all. Almost instant break up with any attack in playing style. Found that using 8 on guitar and 3/4 on pre-amp with Master MUCH LOWER at about 3, the clean was "clean" and reasonably loud (5 watt class "A").

An answer to my post suggested that I should have known not to set the Master that high ie: about 2:00 to 3:00. (I'm at work and don't have the manual, so this is best I remember). Having read that, I did the above and was pleasantly surprised. I just don't know if the 10" is what is bothering me by so little "room" before breakup. Some would like this at the lower volume.

I agree that money not considered the LSC w/ 10 wt. Class "A" might be the best of both worlds. Double the class "A" I am currently testing, and more of the A/B from 25 to 50/100. Just $600.00 more :shock: But I told myself, Get it right, reguardless of the cost! 8)

Strat N My Stuff said:
: He has a LSC, but said I wouldn't find more headroom there.

A LSC (@ up to 100 Watts) does have more headroom than a 5:25 :shock:

It's just my opinion, but it sounds to me like that dealer doesn't want you to return the amp, or discount the LSC :roll:

What is the dealer's return policy?

If there isn't a restocking fee I would return the amp and exchange it for something else, if you aren't happy.

I did that with the first Rectoverb, The F-50 and finally my Recto cab when I purchased the DR off ebay.

Hey Strat,

I had the express 5:25 for about three weeks, until yesterday. I traded up as well. I tried hard to like it since it was small and portable, but just couldn't. Maybe its the EL84 tubes or the 10 in. speaker. I play a PRS custom 22 and it sounded fine on clean, not very good on overdrive or Burn channel (at least to my ears).

I've had a Lonestar Special (my first tube amp, also EL84s), didn't care for the drive channel. Clean was good. I had a Road King II head with a 2X12 closed back mesa cab. Sold it because I hated the Mesa Rectifier sound although the clean was good. The 2x12 closed back was also very directional, hurt my ears. The two items were also pretty heavy.

Well, yesterday I got the Stilleto Ace head with a 1x12 3/4 back mesa cab.
I love this setup. I also have a Maxon OD-9 overdrive pedal that works great with this, not that I need it, but it adds another flavor. The 3/4 back is more open sounding and is not very heavy. There is no reverb on this amp, but I don't miss it one bit. The El 34 tubes give it that great classic rock sound.

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't being rude, just couldn't get to the computer (a number of reasons).

I took back the 5:25, have a store credit. Went to GC and bought a LSC for $999.99. Great cleans and enough drive for me, although I would characterize the feel as kinda "cold", not a "warm" sound, which I believe the LSS would favor, but that ones $1699.00. Only real drawback is the weight and size. I drive a two door convertible and it rides in the seat next to me, seat all the way back and no extra room.

The store where I have the credit is expecting a 5:50 sometime. If it comes in before my 30 day return period on the LSC ends, perhaps it will solve the problem with the 12" and 50 watts for better headroom in a more practical size. As the saga continues............

Im really curious to see the reviews on the heads...honestly I wouldn't judge that amp with that 10" speaker but who knows.

Latest posts

Back