The Blue Angel Appreciation Thread

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what kind of clean headroom does this thing have? improvement with the 6l6? i played one at the long and mcquade in vancouver and the clean was to die for! couldnt crank it up at all to see what kind of overdrive it made, but id be happy just with the clean and a few stompboxes.

id expect it to have better headroom with 6L6s but it already can get pretty **** loud. i've played for 500+ people outside with the simul link (38 watts) on @ half vol... with my setup in my sig below. and i was fighting for it NOT to break up so much.

musicbox said:
what kind of clean headroom does this thing have? improvement with the 6l6? i played one at the long and mcquade in vancouver and the clean was to die for! couldnt crank it up at all to see what kind of overdrive it made, but id be happy just with the clean and a few stompboxes.

Clean headroom is about the same as an AC30 on the EL84 setting. So usable for live, especially if you have some room onstage, but nothing like a twin or deville.

I've tried the 6l6 substitution, and didn't really notice that much increase in headroom. This is probably because the amp is optimised for 6v6s, and would need a few tweaks to take advantage of the 6l6s.

Hey everyone....my first post. :)

I have been using a BA far a while now.

Here are some clips of the Blue Angel with the OCD in front.

The amp has RCA 12ax7 and el84's in it. It's a 3-10 combo.

Clips Here:
http://www.streamload.com/Nodes/Node.asp?cxInstID=84860558&nodeID=1550017539

1463938IMG2310.JPG

I have been playing Boogies since 1974, and still have my 74 Boogie.

Glad I found this place!

:)

looks like he may have made it himself??

can the owners compile a list of MUSTHAVE pedals for the front end of this amp? I currenlty only own a HAO rustdriver and a Boss eq. I would like to create a crunchy type of 'marshalleqse' distortion, maybe something to push and crunch the el84's? Anything to just push the natural vibe over the edge and make it a little harder... I know the guy from Jay Leno uses one, and his tone is unbelieveable, know anything thatll make it sound like that?

Thanks!
Andy.

a marshall govener is a really sweet overdrive that can get a really nice crunch to it. i was about to get one then i spotted the metal zone and tried it... then it was all over. :lol:

I know Eubanks' rig was profiled in a recent Guitar Player mag, but I can't remember his chain.

For marshall-esque overdrive, look no further than the G2D classic overdrive. www.g2d.co.nz

-that thing does a great job of plexi-izing any amp.

looked around and apparenlty he uses a RAT and a hotplate amoung many other things. so how much colour do the gov'nor or the G2D add? i would like to buy 2 pedals, one as a clean boost to push the amp into a harder distortion, and one as a leadish pedal to a eubanksish thing. maybe a rAT?

I've owned an original guv'nor and currently own a G2D Classic. Both colour the tone in a marshall-esque way. the Guvnor is an okay pedal, but isn't in the same league as the G2D.

yea, but if ur short on cash, almost picked one up for 20 bucks.... not bad... im sure the G2D is a better bet if u got the money. what about the v-stack? or whatever its called, i hear theyre pretty good, but i havent tried one yet.

Dylan, I assume you mean the mesa V Twin pedal, which I'm not a fan of. Not especially cheap either, if I recall.

Truth is, even though I think they're great quality, I'm not really a fan of Mesa amps apart from the BA (which I think is brilliant), tremoverb, subway blues and Mark1.

The V-Twin has that sort of 'cludgy' gain oversaturation that I hear in later mark and DC amps, and that's not my thing. You're a metal guy, from what I understand, and those amps are big among the metal crowd, so you may really like the V-twin as a sort of compromise toward getting that sound.

im gonna be putting jj/testla el84's and 12ax7's in. what do you recomend for a recitifer and 6v6's? the el84's were graded a little cooler for maximum headroom, so i want the 6v6's to breakup as early as mechanically possible. any suggestions? not into NOS as i dont have a ton of money..

i wasnt talking about the v twin at all... there was a review in a mag i had... they had a stack (marshall sound) a tweed? (fender sound) and one that was supposed to sound like a brian may tone.... BH or BM... ill have to look tonight.

I just bought a used Blue Angel, after trying out a lot of other amps that couldn't match it for a bluesy tone. It's a great sounding amp for me and I got a good price on it.

However, I'm getting a noticeable background hum (not the fan noise), even when the amp isn't cranked up.

I had tried another used Blue Angel and it had the same issue. Before I haul it down to Mesa, I would appreciate any thoughts on whether this an inherent problem for BA's or just me.

Blind Willie said:
I just bought a used Blue Angel, after trying out a lot of other amps that couldn't match it for a bluesy tone. It's a great sounding amp for me and I got a good price on it.

However, I'm getting a noticeable background hum (not the fan noise), even when the amp isn't cranked up.

I had tried another used Blue Angel and it had the same issue. Before I haul it down to Mesa, I would appreciate any thoughts on whether this an inherent problem for BA's or just me.
Mine hums a little, but I don't hear it when I'm playing. Probably a ground loop thing with some of my other gear. It's not a problem yet...

i guess mines always had a little noise... i only noticed it when musicbox asked about it, i had to go check... its really nothing i notice when i play at all.. but mines in an unfinished apartment off from my house and the electrical hasant even been inspected yet so i think that has quite a bit to do with it :p

Here she is, my NOS Blue Angel. She's not as fancy as some of Gainster's amps, but she's all mine! I never thought I would love playing clean as much as I do with this amp. And she love tremolo, phaser and compressor pedals too.

Rack05-07.jpg

Back