The Blue Angel Appreciation Thread

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahh, i see...but what effect does the mismatched impedance have on the overall sound. If using the 8 ohm jack is the best compromise with the Progressive Linkage system, what happens tonally/outputwise when using an 8ohm load with the 6v6s as opposed to the other 2 settings?

Some describe the mismatched sound as slightly "darker". There is less headroom as the tubes aren't opperating at peak potential, and the breakup seems to be a little bit smoother. Clean sound is almost identical...

I'm glad I found this forum. I have a 4x10 BA, black with wheat grill. Bought it around 90 or early 90s anyway. Haven't used it with bands much because of lack of headroom, but I want to so badly because driving it hard makes it a perfect singing amp for blues or rootsy rock.

Has anyone ever used the SLAVE output to try to get more headroom. Specifically, I'm going to try to run from the SLAVE out into the RETURN of a more powerful amp (a 100w Maven Peal, Ganehsa, which has an incredible effects loop). The 100w amp will go into
a 2x12 with vintage30 celestians.

I heard the tone won't be the same as coming out of the BA. My effects loop has a tone control to help, but I suspect it there is more dynamics that are just impossible to capture.

Anyway, the maker of the Maven Peal amp told me to try what Neil Young does: He mikes a Fender delux or something and runs the mike into a transistor pa or something. However, he told me to try running the mike into the RETURN of the 100w amp. I will have to get a 1/4" converter for the mike's cord.

If anyone knows of a trick or mod to get the magic of low wattage amp but make it louder. I know that's weird. Thanks.

I just picked up a 1 x 12 combo.

I've wanted one since I read Joe Gore's review in Guitar Player when they came out. It just took me a while to get around to get one. :)

so far, I've switched most of the tubes, and swapped the stock speaker for a Mojo BV 30 until my Hellatone 30 gets here from Dave @ Avatar.

Has anyone tried a Jensen P12Q RI in one of these? It's one of my favorite speakers, and the power rating is about right. Just curious.

Anyway, great amps.

Does anyone know why they quit making them?
haha ... just kidding :D

I've been playing my 4x10 BA in a alt country band and it absolutely smokes. Great clean tones, but I'm pushing it, so I'm able to get it to break up into such a sweet way. It's very real. I wish it was loud enough for my r&b/funk/blues band.

Why can't someone make a low wattage amp like this but has a built-in power amp to make it loud enough -- almost like a built in mini pa. I know that technically it's probably impossible to project the magic of the low wattage through the speakers using a mini pa, but ****! It seems like the world is tecky enough to do this.

ned said:
Mullet,

The Lone Star Special 410 at NAMM had Jensens in the top and Eminence in the bottom and IMO blew the 1x12s out of the water. I'm like you though and love Super Reverbs and the LSS with the 5/15/30 watts switch is perfect.

Ned

Hi Ned, do you know what type of Jensens and Eminence where used?

I want to put other speakers in my B.A. 4x10" combo (with more low and mid/low frequencies), but can't figure out what speakers are installed, because there are no brand-stickers or what so ever on the speakers. They are black and sound very treble-ish though...

hi drunkdolphin, eeehm...it's a standard Mesa B.A. 4x10" combo

It's got 4 satin finished black speakers with no brandstickers on them.

I'm thinking about replacing the stock speakers for 2 Eminence Copperhead speakers at the bottom and to Jensen P10R's at the top of the combo.

Does anyone know what type Eminence speakers where installed with the earlier B.A. 4x10" combo?

Sorry,
I thought you were asking about the Maple 410 Special from NAMM,
I replied to your post before I had my coffee.
I had a B.A in about 2000 and it had all four jensens with the horse shoe mags.

I want to swap my speakers.
I don't know what speakers are installed in my BA, because there are no stickers or markings on them. They sound really really treble-ish with no bottom end or what so ever, and that while I mainly play a Gibson LP with P90's!!!

I mainly play rock.

Options for 10" speakers are:
- Eminence copperheads
- Jensen P10r
- Mesa Black shadows

The celestion blue alnico's are out of my league (by price).

Does anyone have experience with above mention speakers?

Marco,
I have been off sick for a few days, I will check the maple 410 special when I get back to work on tuesday,
s

big thanx drunkdolpin.

Does is have bottom end with this speakersetup?
Because my B.A. doesn't have any bottom end with the speakers that are installed.

If so, than I'm gonna put the speaker setup of the L.S. in my Blue Angel.

Still gotta get a head cab for mine!

I plugged the amp into the speaker from my 1974x and was able to get reasonably close to the tone on the 1974x. Slightly sweeter, and less raunchy. Of course, I had to turn the bass fully CCW, when I had the volume knob dimed (relax, was only using 6V6's) and mids @9-10 oclock. I was using input jack 1. Which jack makes a noticeable difference to me. I tend to like 1 straight in, and 2 with pedals. Nobody use this amp with blues? I don't think it's terribly "voxy" myself with the stock 10" alnicos, but I'm only comparing to some time spent with a CC2X with blues in it. BTW, BA clip here.
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4031391&q=hi

Used CM Comp, OCD, Timmy, Octavia, SHO, Echo and Mod Pro.

Back