TECH HELP ON BRAND NEW DEAD STILETTO Ace.... Please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesahonk

Reaction score
Well I'm back to a mesa after 1 year spend happily with a jcm 900. on a whim I decided to trade it on a ace. During my first practice I had a volume drop and a distorted clean channel... I tracked it down to one of my power tubes being out, i tried new tubes to no avail. I pulled the chassis, and a resistor fell out, it seems to go in the slot next to the power tube that is out...
Can I solder this back in my self?? and does the direction matter???

I am so regretting trading in my reliable marshall. Nice job with the QC Mesa!!!! I have practice again tomorrow so I need this back up. Can anyone please help????

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

I'd take that thing back where you bought it and demand either a new one or a refund. I'd probably get a new one, the problem you have seems like a fluke. I've never had any trouble with mine and I've never seen anyone on here with the same issue
There's nothing worse that getting new gear that's broken! :?

no worries.

get a NEW resistor if you want, or just Re-solder that on the board, but do it Upside down, so this way if it were to happen again, it would fall IN, not OUT.

I had a thread a long time ago on an ACE i bought, with pictures and all.

look for it.

but that's pretty much all there was to the fix, and from what i know it has held up quite nicely after that. (i soon sold it after I bought a Deuce II, as i liked the lower bottom end on the Deuce).

no worries.

get a NEW resistor if you want, or just Re-solder that on the board, but do it Upside down, so this way if it were to happen again, it would fall IN, not OUT.

I had a thread a long time ago on an ACE i bought, with pictures and all.

Cool dose it matter which direction the writing goes, are the resistors directional??

There's no direction to resistors. So no worries.

You will, however, void your warrantee if you do this work yourself. Take it to a Mesa approved tech. The work should be free.

I build amps myself, so I don't mind voiding the warrantee (sp?) But it's something to consider.

Moot said:
There's no direction to resistors. So no worries.

You will, however, void your warrantee if you do this work yourself. Take it to a Mesa approved tech. The work should be free.

I build amps myself, so I don't mind voiding the warrantee (sp?) But it's something to consider.

+1 if ur not experienced with electrical bring it to a mesa approved tech, itll be under warranty if the amp is under 5yrs old and the repair work will be free. the warranty also is transferrable if you bought it used. pretty much if you dont know what ur doin just bring it to a tech or else youll be on ur own for the remainder of the warranty period :(

Sounds like the power tube went bad and melted out the resistor. I had the same thing happen on my recto. It also didn't help that I didn't know anything about tube amps at the time and wasn't sticking with matched pairs of tubes. I've since been well educated (by this board and others) and have not had a problem since.

thats why mesa built the grid resistor so easy to approach.

never happened to me though,

anyway - be happy man, your tranny is not rusty as mine was when i bought it new.

after that you ll be happy, the ace sounds way better than any marshall (i had a few)

Latest posts

Back