taking a recto on a plane

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gothenburg

Reaction score
hi there. i am possibly purchasing a triple rec. on a business trip that i am attending next week and was wondering if anyone has any advice for taking it on a plane. should i remove the tubes and put it underneath or should i take it as carry on? will the pressure/temperature ruin or break the tubes?

any help appreciated!

Three letters that'll save your amp: ATA, as in ATA flight case.

I wouldn't take it as a carry on....You can't put it under your feet, it's too long and I wouldn't want to be responsible for it if you hit some "bumpy air" and having it fall on yours or someones head in the middle of a flight or after the flight when you open the over-head compartments. I'd pull the power tubes and wrap them in bubble wrap or paper and stuff them inside the head with some extra stuffing in the head to keep them from moving around. I'd probably put the amp in a box like you were shipping it or purchase an ATA road/flight case for the trip (with lost of foam). Because when they get loaded and unloaded they sometimes get thrown or dropped or dumped off a conveyer belt..... so you'll want as much protection as possible, just like you were shipping it. That's why the made ATA case.

I wouldn't know all of this except I flew for the first time a couple of weeks ago and went through 4 different stops between home, there and back home and I seen how my luggage was when it was unloaded off the plane and on the convey belt and I heard it get loaded on to the plane KU-THUD!!!! We went to Reno for my wifes womens bowling league tournament, and her bowling bag suffered a little and some of the items inside the bag got broken and some got bent (the wrist braces).

It'd be best to take as a carry on, but I'm pretty sure it's too big and it'd be a pain in the butt to carry that through the air port and through secruity.

The pressure and temps on the plane shouldn't hurt the tubes or amp.

Come to think of it, I don't think you can take easily accessable glass objects (or any glass objects) on the plane (ie: tubes)?? So the tubes would have to go down below. I guess you might hi-jack the plane with a 6L6 :wink:

Good luck and let us know what you do and how it works out?

Koprofag said:
Call the flight company in advance. They have compartments in the cabin where you can put heavier luggage, usually in the front near cockpit. I'd take out the tubes and mail them, put the rest in a flight case and have it sent as fragile goods on the flight though.

They weight around 25 kg, flight case not included, so should be within the weight limit.

Or you could do that :wink:

If they allow it to be inside the cabin, you will have no problem with it. The cabin altitude in most jets doesn't get above 6,000'. It would be like living in Denver. Even if you had to put it in the baggage compartment, I don't think you would have any problems with pressurization.

wouldnt it actually be less stress on a vacuum tube if the surrounding pressure is lower? probobly a flight case or even a large suitcase with clothes and stuff around the amp would be good. as for the tubes, i know i would feel safer packing my tubes in some like newspaper shreds and in a tight box and putting it in my suitcase or carry on. just my opinion...

lol some people might see it and think its some sort of bomb if you bring it carry on.

I wouldn't let a baggage handler anywhere near my amp. Ever see how they treat your luggage? The don't call them "throwers" for nothing. They're worse than UPS.

I did a one lay over trip with my dual recto in a ATA case I bought from Monik Anstrong (sp?) on ebay. I took the tubes out and put it in the extra storage comparment (I bought the one with an extra slot on the side). Arrived in one piece and it still works great.

Koprofag said:
Call the flight company in advance. They have compartments in the cabin where you can put heavier luggage, usually in the front near cockpit. I'd take out the tubes and mail them, put the rest in a flight case and have it sent as fragile goods on the flight though.

They weight around 25 kg, flight case not included, so should be within the weight limit.

As a captain for a Major US Airline, I'd like to comment on the statement of above and offer my $.02.

As a Flight crew, we typically have NO interaction or instructions from Reservations regarding issues such as this.... EVEN if you call in advance, so contacting the Airline in advance regarding keeping your oversize item in the cabin is useless. The only thing they would address is shipping the container.

Second.... regarding keeping the container in the aircraft cabin....the issue here is SIZE.... not weight. Nobody is going to weigh your carry on bags before you get on the aircraft.... they WILL however look at its size. If it wil fit under your seat or in an overhead bin, then they will let you take it on. I can reasonably assure you that a Rectifier head in an ATA case will NOT fit under the seat, it MAY (maybe) fit in an overhead, depending on the type aircraft. Some aircraft have oversized bins, some do not. Reservations cannot assure you exactly what the overhead bin size will be for any given flight.... even knowing what TYPE of aircraft.... some airlines have different configurations even of the same type aircraft. Also even if the overhead on the aircraft you are on will fit the continer, you are dealing with the issue of how many people brought on bags and are taking up all the available overhead space. This is always an problem on full flights.

If it won't fit.... then you are left trying to bribe the Gate Agent to get it on board in the cabin anyway.... and then bribing the Flight Attendants to let you put it in a closet (if one exists) on the aircraft. Keep in mind these 'closets" (if the aircraft is configured with them) typically are already being used for supplies or more likely filled with the Flight Crews carry on bags.... and they usually won't give up their bag space...LOL!!

Your only viable surefire option is to check the bag.

If you are going to do that... 'Gate Check' the bag..... which means you have it taken down planeside when you board and typically will pick it up planeside when you deplane. Keep in mind that you will have to get it thru security which can be done, but can sometimes be a real hassle.

Last checking option is to Counter check the bag when you get to the airport. I wouldn't do that.

My FIRST choice were it me and my new Rectifier...... would be to find a Fedex or UPS store and ship the thing to your home from wherever you are. So much easier and less hassle and worry.... trust me.

The pressure and temperatures on the plane WILL hurt your tubes(-50'C).

They will explode at those hights(10 km/ 7 miles), the pressure is too high.

Take them out and wrap em up in bubble plastic and put them in an airsealed(or how do you call it) bag.
That will prevent th tubes form exploding.

Put the amp in a box with a lot of papers and bubble plastic or in a professional flightcase(ATA).

AART said:
The pressure and temperatures on the plane WILL hurt your tubes(-50'C).

They will explode at those hights(10 km/ 7 miles), the pressure is too high.

Take them out and wrap em up in bubble plastic and put them in an airsealed(or how do you call it) bag.
That will prevent th tubes form exploding.

Put the amp in a box with a lot of papers and bubble plastic or in a professional flightcase(ATA).

While the statements above may/ may not be true regarding those temperatures and pressures (actually lack therof) hurting tubes.... the following is relevant to the issue of shipping the Amp on a commercial aircraft....

All major airline cargo holds are both pressurized and heated..... so the temperature/pressure issue is NOT a factor.

Latest posts

Back