T.A.D. Tubes for IIC+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
Any one here tried these tubes in their amp? I have only read positive things about them. Have yet to actually hear a set. Most guys with old tweed fenders love em. Just wondering if they are working for the boogie-men.

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/cgi-bin/mojotone/4150010.html

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/cgi-bin/mojotone/4150000.html

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/cgi-bin/mojotone/4150030.html

Thanks,

Allen

Boogiebabies said:
Those are re-labeled Ruby tubes.

Hey Boogiebabies-
I have never used Ruby Tubes. They used to have a good rep from the Hi-Fi crowd, but don't know how they would do in a guitar amp. I'm always a bit leery of chinese tubes since my first set of chinese mesas back in the early 90's. Yeeech! But some people are saying that the latest generation of chinese tubes is pretty good. Wish I didn't have to drop the coin to find out.

Best,
Allen

Ruby has almost any tube you can get. I have used the new Ruby tubes from China for years with no problems. You can call them and find a dealer near your area. I have a wholesale account with them, but I am not here spamming, nor do I sell tubes unless I do a mod or a bias job.

Boogiebabies said:
Ruby has almost any tube you can get. I have used the new Ruby tubes from China for years with no problems. You can call them and find a dealer near your area. I have a wholesale account with them, but I am not here spamming, nor do I sell tubes unless I do a mod or a bias job.

cool. glad to at least hear a credible opinion on how they work in guitar amps. What do you like about them? How would they sonically compare to say a STR-454 (Svet) or JJ 6L6GC? Have you ever used those short body T.A.D.'s? I was kinda looking at those...

Thanks,

Allen

But Ruby is just another tube re-labeler! Those tube are made in the Shuguang factory in China. I have used both the "short bottle" (WGC) and "Tall Bottle" (STR). The WGC's now reside in my '69 Twin Reverb. I will guess they have too much "squash" for a Mark series amp.

The "Tall Bottles" are bigger, physically and sonically, a better match in a Mark amp, IMHO.

The EL-34's have gotten good reviews from some amp techs, I have not tried them. Hey, I LUV the SED EL-34's in a MKIII

Call Lord Valve, he will hook you up with a set of those, tested and matched fpr a fair price.

NBS Electronics
303-778-1156

RussB said:
I have used both the "short bottle" (WGC) and "Tall Bottle" (STR). The WGC's now reside in my '69 Twin Reverb. I will guess they have too much "squash" for a Mark series amp.

The "Tall Bottles" are bigger, physically and sonically, a better match in a Mark amp, IMHO.

Thanks RussB... are you liking the T.A.D.'s overall? How do they compare to say a JJ or a Svet? I was thinking about running the small bottles in the outside pair of my Simul and maybe the big bottles in the center. What do you think?

Best,

Allen

TAD (Shuguang), JJ, SED...they're all good new tubes. Take your pic, it really don't make THAT much difference in the middle sockets! (ducks for cover!)

I don't like 6L6's in the outer sockets, so it's hard for me to recommend any 6L6 for that application. I like EL34's there

RussB said:
I don't like 6L6's in the outer sockets, so it's hard for me to recommend any 6L6 for that application. I like EL34's there

SED EL34's? Yes yes yes!!! I just started using them a few years ago. Great for that tight, focused, shimmering sound. Yeah, I was pretty jazzed when I started using those in my IIC+. They are a bit louder than the 6L6 variants, I think. I just went back to 5881's for a more classic "fendery" blues feel. But I was sure blown away by the SED 34's

Best,

Allen

Back