Sylvania 6L6GC's for a IIC+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koadogg

Reaction score
I have a 60W IIC+ inbound and I would like to get some quality NOS Output Tubes for it. I have a lead on a matched pair of NOS Sylvania 6L6GC's. First off, these are the STR-415's that are thrown around a lot in conversation, correct? What do I need to look out for as far as whether NOS 6L6 output tubes are compatable with the IIC+? I am asking because I know that the IIC+s do not have an adjustable bias. What other 6L6 types are good sounding in the IIC+? I like to play hard rock/metal (Metallica), but I don't want them to be overly bright.

Thanks,
Scott

Relax! The C+ was designed with the Sylvania 6L6 STR 415 as its reference tube. Mesa may still have a few of the NOS 415's if you want to shell out the skins.

I was just curious if all Sylvania 6L6GC's were considered Mesa STR 415's? I know they are Mesa Labeled theres but the ones I'm looking at are not Mesa labeled.

THanks,
Scott

Koadogg said:
I was just curious if all Sylvania 6L6GC's were considered Mesa STR 415's? I know they are Mesa Labeled theres but the ones I'm looking at are not Mesa labeled.

THanks,
Scott

There's all kinds of 6L6GC Sylvania's, they are not all Mesa STR's (special tube requirement) but all 6L6GC's will work in a Boogie.
It would not hurt for you to research 6L6's because the are not all suitable for use in your amp. For example, Groove Tubes markets a 6L6B which is a rebranded Sovtec 5881 (says so right on the tube). This is an earlier version of the 6L6 that was not designed for the voltages that the Boogies' run. It will melt down, short and damage your amp. I have repaired two amps where this exact situation has occured. GT dosen't care, it's up to you to do some homework and discover exactly what tubes are "good & safe" and what are not. For starters, if it's real 6L6GC it will work, there are others that will as well. But you need to check it out for yourself.
See 'ya, Jim :wink:

Thanks for the reply Jim. What kind of Voltages (Plate Voltage, Correct?) do the 60W Mark IIC+'s run? I just need to make sure that the tube can handle the voltage Plus some margin for safety, correct?

Thanks,
Scott

I honestly don't know what the voltages are in the Boogies, up 'till now never had to measure them. What I can share with you is another web site with very simple to understand info to get you started. I don't presume you to be a "simple" type person, I am,
however, and I like things (like information) simple and digestible.
I have much experience repairing Music Man and old Fender amps but where my Boogies are concerned they go back the the mothership and Mike Bendinelli in particular. I probably could repair them and certainly perform routine maintenance (cap jobs, cleaning for example) but these are some of my favorite amps of all time and the guys that built them are still alive and in the business of restoring them. It's a no brainer for me and simple too. :)
Anyway, while I'm rambling, here is some advise, if it hasn't been done get the cap job. Now! You will not be sorry and while I've never seen a Boogie suffer form a dried out shorted electrolytic cap I remain convinced that it can happen. Cheap insurance.
Oh yeah, the website..........
http://www.vacuumtubes.com/6l6.html
Enjoy, Jim

Thanks for the info. I got a receipt from the guy I bought the amp from that shows that it was at Mesa in October of last year. It got fresh tubes, New Octal Sockets, and a new power cord. A note on the receipt says thatthe "amp was XXX 6 years ago, all else looks good", So I assume the caps are fine. I'll have to check into it sometime soon.

Scott

I have a matched quad of Sylvania tubes for sale that are sporting an RCA label. RCA was good for relabeling many of their tubes especially in the later years. These are the later Sylvania "ruggedized 6L6" as Aspin Pittman described in his The Tube Amp Book. At the price I am asking you could afford to put some bias pots in your amp. Read down the page because I ended up having these tested and matched. Look here: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20022&start=0

Latest posts

Back