Sweet vid of John Petrucci playing platypus' amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisRocksUSA

Reaction score
I guess he borrowed it for his interview

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1846021359523198064&q=john+petrucci&hl=en

rock on guys :twisted:

I kind of liked that tone...... I find myself liking the Brit mode more and more on the Road King and it sound like the Ace takes it one step further.

I've got a Roadster coming that's supposed to have a beefier Brit mode and i plan on putting EL34's in it (eventually) to get the most out of the Brit mode....... I sure hope I don't start GASsing for an ACE. :wink:

Man even with the Ace he's running like zero presence.

He makes it sound good!

I love that amplifier!

Not saying anything about JP's playing or tone otherwise, but the tone in that video is what I would call awful. It sounds like a badly programmed modeller in this. No definition, over-gained, and just flubby.

thelordofcheesecake said:
Not saying anything about JP's playing or tone otherwise, but the tone in that video is what I would call awful. It sounds like a badly programmed modeller in this. No definition, over-gained, and just flubby.

I think that's more a function of his pickups than the amp. Dimarzio Drop Sonic's are not very impressive pickups. His prior pick up of choice was the Steve's Special, they are similarly voiced, which I too felt was not an impressive pickup. I own an EB/MM Petrucci and I swapped the pickups with a Seymour Custom 5 in the bridge and a Dimarzio Norton (not the Air) in the neck. These p/u sound great with this guitar.

Also ...

Plat... are you contemplating swapping out the stock tubes yet?

Guitarzan said:

I think that's more a function of his pickups than the amp. Dimarzio Drop Sonic's are not very impressive pickups. His prior pick up of choice was the Steve's Special, they are similarly voiced, which I too felt was not an impressive pickup. I own an EB/MM Petrucci and I swapped the pickups with a Seymour Custom 5 in the bridge and a Dimarzio Norton (not the Air) in the neck. These p/u sound great with this guitar.

Also ...

:p you know I'm a tinker'er

I think I'm sticking with the stock ones for a while, they just sound THAT good. Love the rectifier tube as well (5U4GB)

Guitarzan said:

Also ...

Sure, that explanation works. Simply - the amp in that video does NOT sound like a real Mesa. Whether that's bad settings, the guitar/pickups, the compression on the file, or any other factor - to my ears it's just a bad tone.

Sure, that explanation works. Simply - the amp in that video does NOT sound like a real Mesa. Whether that's bad settings, the guitar/pickups, the compression on the file, or any other factor - to my ears it's just a bad tone.

I've played the Stiletto Ace, I got much more classic and organic tones. He may as well be playing through a few processors as well. As I wrote in my review of the 2X12 combo, It's a meat and potatoes kinda amp that sounds good with the guitar just plugged into it.

I don't think that amp has ever sounded so good. He just gets good tone no matter what he uses.

Guitarzan said:

Also ...

I disagree. I have a D-Sonic in my EBMM JP and I love it. Horses for courses...

CudBucket said:
I don't think that amp has ever sounded so good. He just gets good tone no matter what he uses.

+1, cracks me up to see someone second guessing a masters choice of equipment and tone..........

Anyone mind sharing the tabs for that lesson?

Thanks for the great vid. It figures the cool issue of the year comes right after my subscription runs out.

Really like his tone there - sounds like he is running a pedal as a boost though - Can the Ace get that much gain? The stilleto duece couldnt when i tried.

On some parts it feels like he has too much gain, but every note is still visable.

Thanks for posting this.

Platypus said:
Guitarzan said:

Also ...

I think I'm sticking with the stock ones for a while, they just sound THAT good. Love the rectifier tube as well (5U4GB)

Hi,

I'd reccomend changing out the stock tubes. I changed the preamp tubes in my ace head to a tungsol 12ax7 in v1 and v2, and JJ ecc83s in the rest of the slots. I got a pair of winged =C= el34s for the power tubes. I really smoothed out the sound and made everything much more creamy and sweet sounding. It was a bit too harsh with the stock tubes IMO

Howitzer said:
Really like his tone there - sounds like he is running a pedal as a boost though - Can the Ace get that much gain? The stilleto duece couldnt when i tried.

On some parts it feels like he has too much gain, but every note is still visable.

Thanks for posting this.

Easily can get that much gain, I run my guitar straight in with no boost and have tons of punch..

inkwachemis said:
Platypus said:
Guitarzan said:

Also ...

Hi,

I'd reccomend changing out the stock tubes. I changed the preamp tubes in my ace head to a tungsol 12ax7 in v1 and v2, and JJ ecc83s in the rest of the slots. I got a pair of winged =C= el34s for the power tubes. I really smoothed out the sound and made everything much more creamy and sweet sounding. It was a bit too harsh with the stock tubes IMO

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to keep my stuff stock until I need a power tube change, then I'll start to mess around with it. I've never been so satisfied with something right out of the box before so I'm not dying to change anything right away :)

Platypus said:
inkwachemis said:
Platypus said:

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to keep my stuff stock until I need a power tube change, then I'll start to mess around with it. I've never been so satisfied with something right out of the box before so I'm not dying to change anything right away :)

Thats right . If it ain't broke, dont fix it !

Back