Superb reverb in Quad Pre - allso possible in Mark Series ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justanotherboogieplayer

Reaction score
The reverb of the Quad Pre is the best tube driven reverb I ever heard.
There is a big reverb tank, like in Mark series amps and a small one as used in Studio 22 connected together to get this extra deep, rich, full and warm type of reverb. The two tanks are working parralel and if you disconnect one, the other is still working.
I wonder, if it is possible to have the same in the Mark series amps or Studio Pre.
It should be very easy to realize. Just use a Y - connection to have two reverb tanks in parrallel. And it is not an expensive thing to do.
But I don´t know enough about amp circuits to be shure not to dammage annything.
Did anybody try this allready or can one of you techs tell me if I can try out this idea without dammageing anything in my IIC+.
Thanks.

As long as the reverb transformer sees the proper load. You may have to buy two tanks, and if I remember the transformer is a 4 ohm. I dont know if it would hurt to try, but I never feel bad when I blow stuff up.

it would be possible but maybe you'll have to add some resistors, to get the proper load, wich can damage the sound...

Is it like one should connect speakers to an amp?
One 8 Ohms output needs four 8 Ohm speakers (in a row and parrallel) to get 8 Ohms again.
Then I should use vour reverb tanks to try .... :eek:

Or should I connect an 4 Ohm resistor to both of two reverb tanks.
How strong should the resistors be?

I asked the techs at TAD (Tube Amp Doctor) about the risk of dammageing something, when I try out two reverb tanks.
They sayed, that there is no risk, ´cause the transformer does work in a different way than an output transformer. You can use it without load also (disconnecting the reverb) without any risk. I did not understand everything, but they sounded that I could trust them.

So I tryed two reverb tanks in my Studio Preamp. The short one, stock plus a long one of my C+.
It sounded very good! Just like the reverb in my Quad Pre.
It is a bit like a very soft and smooth delay, ´cause of the two different sizes of the tanks. It is sounding very warm and deep. No changes in tone. It´s better than a long reverb tank only and much better than the short one only.

I will order a short reverb tank these days and try out the combination in my MK IIC+´s and my MK IV. I´ll tell you about the results ...

This kind of tube reverb is the best I ever heard !
I like it more than any high class digital reverb (Intellifex, Lexicon, G-Force, etc.).

That sounds great. The only amps I use a tube reverb on are my MKIIC+ and my Vibrolux. :wink:

justanotherboogieplayer said:
I asked the techs at TAD (Tube Amp Doctor) about the risk of dammageing something, when I try out two reverb tanks.
They sayed, that there is no risk, ´cause the transformer does work in a different way than an output transformer. You can use it without load also (disconnecting the reverb) without any risk. I did not understand everything, but they sounded that I could trust them.

So I tryed two reverb tanks in my Studio Preamp. The short one, stock plus a long one of my C+.
It sounded very good! Just like the reverb in my Quad Pre.
It is a bit like a very soft and smooth delay, ´cause of the two different sizes of the tanks. It is sounding very warm and deep. No changes in tone. It´s better than a long reverb tank only and much better than the short one only.

I will order a short reverb tank these days and try out the combination in my MK IIC+´s and my MK IV. I´ll tell you about the results ...

This kind of tube reverb is the best I ever heard !
I like it more than any high class digital reverb (Intellifex, Lexicon, G-Force, etc.).

Did you ever think it also may be due to the circuit design?

of cause it´s the circuit design that makes this great reverb possible.

I had the two tanks parallel, like it is done in the Quad Preamp.
So both reverb tanks get the same dry signal at the same time.

In series would be a different thing, ´cause you reverb an allready reverbed signal .... didn´t try it, but should be possible.

Latest posts

Back