Sundown amps?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all:

I put my Lonestar quest on temporary hold, but wondered what everyone knows/thinks/feels about Sundown amps? There's a Formula 50 for sale in my area. I remember when I was in college I saw Scofield playing several gigs with Sundowns.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

i remember using a friend's sundown years ago. i think a guy at melody music in edison new jersey made the amps and they were variations on mesa mark I's. i'm probably way off. my memory isn't that clear about the whole thing. but my buddy's amp was great. i remember that.

I have tried Sundown A50. It says Buffalo NY on the backplate.

That amp is biased for Mesa 6L6 but the original tubes were EL34's. I didn't know it was possible.

It had 300 W EV speaker before but now it has Celestion V30. My Mark III sounds good with EV's but this Sundown sounds better with V30.

Sundown A50 is great amp. Reverb and presence knobs are shared by both channels. The clean channel has gain, treble and bass knobs. The lead channel has also mid knob.

Clean channel is Fender type and it's not very versatile. The lead channel has gain boost switch. Boost swicth off makes it something like Hiwatt. Boogie Caliber type lead tone when you switch mid boost switch.

I liked it so much that I had buy it!

sundown2.jpg

Latest posts

Back