Suitable cab for a MKIV head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uberscott

Reaction score
Hi all - will be joining the Boogie family on Saturday when I pick up a MKIV head, looking forward to it! I'd like to hear some thoughts on suitable cabs for this beastie. It's a 'B' variant I presume, it's only 4 months old.

At the moment I'm considering either a 1960A or a 1960AV from Marshall. I don't really have the funds to go for a Recto cab, as they cost a bloody fortune here in the UK!

Any thoughts on the 1960A vs the 1960AV? Any others that would be worth a look, preferably in the same price range?! I'll probably be taking the head down to demo a few cabs at various stores, but I thought I'd get some opinions here first. :D

Thanks! 8)

Welcome to Club Boogie,
I tried the Marshall w/25watt grennbacks...no bottom end and too much shrilly top with the MkIV.
Vintage 30 loaded cab was much better but a plane ol 900 Marshall cab with the 75 watters(cant remember the exact Celestion model# in them)
was the ticket.
If you can lay your hands on an older Mesa half back metal grill cab ,all the better but the 900 cab had more mids and deeper bottom end.

The standard 1960 cab is a nice cab. I have one and it sounds ok. I also have a V30 cab that sounds good too. I also have an older one that runs 65s and it sounds good too. I like the sound of the greenbacks provided you don't push them too hard. The thing with the speaker types is that it really depends upon what you are playing and what your settings are. Your guitar will also affect your final tone. I found the 75s to have the deepest bottom but lacked some mids. The V30s were ok but lacked some of the highs. The 65s sounded like a solid rock setup kind of rounded. The greenbacks were great for leads but forget rhythms. Also, it really depends upon what type of music you are playing.

The old Mark cabinets were cool. But if you want a great Mesa cab get the standard/traditional cabinet.

To be honest, for you the Marshall cabs might be the way to go being you are over there in the UK.

I have a custom cabinet that is a convertible 1x12 that goes from open to tuned open to closed back. Then you can remove the front panel and it is ported like a Theile. I have an EVM-12L in it and it is probably the most versatile cabinet I own. I like to pair it with the 1960ax. I guess it would go good with any 1960 but that is my favorite for leads.

A 2x12 cabinet loaded with an EVM-12L and a C90 or even a K100 would sound good. I would be careful with a V30. To be honest, for around the house use the convertible 1x12 is all I need. For rehearsals and small gigs I would step up to at least a 2x12. Right now mine is loaded in a combo cabinet for convenience (plug and play) but I reconfigure the output for more when I want it.

You'll find there are definitely preferences around here with speakers. Some love the EVM-12L while others don't. Some love JBL speakers and others will prefer Celestions. Get out there and try different cabs with different speakers with your head and guitar.

I'm glad Russ got a post in for you. I knew he's using a MkIV with a Marshall cab.
Sounds like the 1960 with 65's is a winner for you Scott.
But then again, Shep made a point on Orange too...
heard nothing but praises on Orange cabs.
Let us know what you find. I'm curious about older 70's Marshall
cabs in the UK,if they are fetching a high dollar as much as here in the USA.

Wow - thanks gents! I really didn't expect such comprehensive replies!

I think I'll have a hard time finding a cab in good nick with the 65s in it, but you never know :) I'll definitely be comparing the 75s with the V30s this weekend though. I'll keep my eye open for an Orange cab too - don't see them too often, even here!

Cheers all :D

FWIW - I have a 1960A (w/75's) & an older Mesa 1/2 back (steel grill) w/Black Shadows & EVs (presently running with the back panel in place - i.e. full closed-back mode).

The Marshall sounds pretty good with Mesa stuff until you put the Boogie cab next to it. When compared head-to head, the Mesa sounds much better than the Marshall -much more bass, fuller, crisper, more note definition. The Marshall almost sounds like it has a blanket over it when A/B'd with the Marshall.

I'd love to try one of those 1/2 back cabs alright, I've heard nothing but good things about them (apart from the weight!). Only problem is that they're like hens' teeth over here, practically impossible to source. I do know of a recording studio that has one - although prying it out of their hands might be tricky :D

As luck would have it, I've found a '70s Marshall cab! The seller has no idea what speakers are in it mind you, so I'll probably take the back off and have a peek. I'm heading round tonight to have a look at it.

Are there any speakers I should look out for, or particularly avoid?

Cheers :D

Your findings should be of the Greenback (maybe different color but same thing whether black, creme, or gray), 65s, or it may be bastardized. It kind of depends on what year it is and what it came with originally as far as what you will find in it. I have seen some with 70s or 80s. I have even seen one with the K100s in it. Most will be the 65s or greenbacks though. If you happen across some of the 55 hz greenbacks you will have a better speaker though. Especially if you luck out with the 30 watters as opposed to the 25s. Really though nothing from that period was all that bad. I would just listen carefully to the cones and examine the cones for reconing. Then talk about price. As far as exterior cosmetics go it is all about mojo. Some cosmetic features can be considered nice.

I would definitely choose a Mesa cabinet if I could only have one but Mark cabinets are hard enough to find here stateside. That and traditional cabinets are pricey especially abroad. Not to mention would be very expensive to ship abroad.

I think your choices are more in the lines of finding a suitable Marshall cabinet or if you can get your hands on one maybe try some of the current Euro style amp cabinets a la ENGL or Deizel. I am sure that you have many choices over there. In fact, there is probably someone knocking off Mesa cabinets locally that would get you in the ballpark if you wanted to sound more Mesa-ish. I do find that the Celestions do add a certain warmth to the sound though that the EVM-12L cannot. They make a good mix if you can afford to get enough options going.

And again the 75s are not that great a speaker. They do get some nice lows and can sound a little scoopy but they seem to lack some of the mids that you need as a guitarist for some reason. I think this might be the blanket effect spoken of. The Black shadows and EVs are voiced differently and are tuned for Mesas. This is not to say that you will not find success with other Celestions. As I stated before it all depends upon what you are looking for and what sounds good to you. I find merit in most speakers even if it is just the pricepoint.

I don't think you will find many that will say that the 65 is a bad speaker. It is truly a rock icon of a speaker. Not quite a greenback in legacy or lore but nonethless of the same lineage and not a slouch by any means.

Good luck with your quest. Let us know your findings and final decisions.

I wish I could have the luck of being able to pick up Marshall cabs in the UK. I am sure they are much less expensive there than here.

Jings - you are a mine of information! This cab turned out to be a JCM800 cab, it has 'JCM800' then underneath 'Lead - 1960' on the wee gold plaque. Still waiting to take the back off to inspect the speakers, but when I tested it out it sounded very nice indeed. It's pretty knackered, some would say 'mojo' :) Looks like it's seen an tour or two. Will update on the speakers when I get the back off. Am I right in thinking that early 800 cabs had the 65s, then they switched to 75s, then back to 65s again?

I didn't like my Mark IV with the Mashall 1960A with GT-75's I used to have at all, very harsh and screechy.

You need pair up the Mark IV with a beefier cab IMO....

I have 3 mesa cabinets in my studio.

Since I purchase an Earcandy Sov
It is the only cab I use with my Boogie.

I still use the Mesa Cabs with other amps (65 Blackface Bassman and a old Vox AC30)

I have to say for quality tone sounds from a Boogie the Earcandy Sov fits the bill. It's a 1X12 and has bottom end that 4X12 cab's would envy. I have mine loaded with a Legend 121. It records all tones and styles with amazing results.

I have a variety of speakers I use in the Boogie Cabinets depending on the tone I want on the recording. I have some old G12H-80 from a Marshall Cabinet I stripped dating back to the early eighty's to a newer Eminence Texas Heats, and of course the EV's that came with my Boogie and the Black Shadows that came with the Cabinets. A couple of others that don't get used as much JBL G12-80's and some old Jensen's from a 60's Twin Reverb.
None of those combo's compare to the Earcandy Sov.
Earcandy Cabs just fit Boogie Tone.

http://www.earcandycabs.com/

Hey Uberscott,

You will probably find anything from greenbacks to 65's to 70's to 75's to even 80's/85's or maybe even 100's in it depending upon how it was configured or who owned it. I know that some liked the 80's and ran those. Others liked the sound of the 1982 cabinet that had 100's so swapped for those. Your typical findings will be in the lines of greenbacks, 65's, 70's or 75's. I know that they ran some reissue cabinets at the time also so who knows what is in there. I cannot remember what year that they did it but Marshall was relabeling some of the speakers as their own. These speakers were 70's that were actually 75's but conservatively rated. As far as if they were actually the same G12T-75 as came in the later cabinets I cannot say but I can attest to that as the 75 gets older and more broken in it sounds better than when fresher though still thought of as broken in. The 75 really sounds terrible brand new. The 70s were reissued as classic 70s. To be honest, I cannot recall their having returned to the 65 as standard fare. The 65 is one hella speaker though. The 70 is no slouch either. The 70 is not a V30 though rated for the same wattage. Now the V30 is rated at 65 watts though which I find interesting. Another bit of information on the 75's is that in the newer cabs they don't sound the same either as in the older seasoned cabs. For some reason the older cabs sound better. I am not sure if it is the wood itself or if it is from having resonated so long. It could be the aging of the wood or adhesive between the layers of ply. It could be the adhesive that they used to use. It could even be in the density of the cell structure of the trees at the time the older cabinets were made. It is an unknown but it is sure heard.

Bottomline, if you were happy with the sound coming out, go with it. There is nothing wrong with following your ears. Besides, to each his own. Let the others wonder where you are getting your tone from. Most educated people will know that the majority of the tone you are getting is in your hands and soul and that your gear only helps you to bring it out. The majority of the guitar greats would sound great regardless of what they were playing through. For the rest of us, finding a good starting point for our individual tone is a great foundation for our sound.

Hey Uberscott,

You will probably find anything from greenbacks to 65's to 70's to 75's to even 80's/85's or maybe even 100's in it depending upon how it was configured or who owned it. I know that some liked the 80's and ran those. Others liked the sound of the 1982 cabinet that had 100's so swapped for those. Your typical findings will be in the lines of greenbacks, 65's, 70's or 75's. I know that they ran some reissue cabinets at the time also so who knows what is in there. I cannot remember what year that they did it but Marshall was relabeling some of the speakers as their own. These speakers were 70's that were actually 75's but conservatively rated. As far as if they were actually the same G12T-75 as came in the later cabinets I cannot say but I can attest to that as the 75 gets older and more broken in it sounds better than when fresher though still thought of as broken in. The 75 really sounds terrible brand new. The 70s were reissued as classic 70s. To be honest, I cannot recall their having returned to the 65 as standard fare. The 65 is one hella speaker though. The 70 is no slouch either. The 70 is not a V30 though rated for the same wattage. Now the V30 is rated at 65 watts though which I find interesting. Another bit of information on the 75's is that in the newer cabs they don't sound the same either as in the older seasoned cabs. For some reason the older cabs sound better. I am not sure if it is the wood itself or if it is from having resonated so long. It could be the aging of the wood or adhesive between the layers of ply. It could be the adhesive that they used to use. It could even be in the density of the cell structure of the trees at the time the older cabinets were made. It is an unknown but it is sure heard.

Bottomline, if you were happy with the sound coming out, go with it. There is nothing wrong with following your ears. Besides, to each his own. Let the others wonder where you are getting your tone from. Most educated people will know that the majority of the tone you are getting is in your hands and soul and that your gear only helps you to bring it out. The majority of the guitar greats would sound great regardless of what they were playing through. For the rest of us, finding a good starting point for our individual tone is a great foundation for our sound.

Back