suggest for me a Good speaker for a MKIII purple head.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaneleven

Reaction score
I recently bought a MKIII simul/EQ/rev.wide head and love it but it's potential seems limited thru my boogie 1x12. I'm thinking of getting an Avatar Modern style cab but not sure if greenbacks will sound okay with all 3 channels. anyone try greenies? if not what works for you in your 2x12? v30's I also thought of the g12h30 30 watt anniversary with a greenback combo.

almost forgot, I play hard rock, love classic tones too and a chimey semi-clean tone.

I use my purple stripe with a mix of V30s and H30s in a randall cab. I rarely use my recto cab with all V30s anymore. I really dig the low wattage speaker thing with the III

For one of my IIIs, I use my old trusty Marshall JCM800 1960a 4x12 cab ( nice and broken in) loaded with G12T-75's. I think these speakers sound excellent with both (purple & red) IIIs; almost as if they were made for each other. Very tight, warm and punchy with alot of clarity. They handle the low-freqs very well when driving the power section of the amp.

For my other III, I use an Orange PPCHP8 4x12 cab loaded with the stock G12K100's, which on the other hand gives the huge bottom end, yet somehow still retains the note clairty/definition and tightness without getting muddy at all. It pretty much picks up right where the Marshall leaves off.

I love both cabs alot; both have a totally different vibe and feel but deliver in spades. I've used both of them pushed hard live enough now to know they aren't going anywheres from my possession.

Next on my list is the Port City 4x12 loaded with G12T-75's which will give me the perfect mix of the Marshall and Orange in one cab.

Maybe this will install some ideas. Good luck on your decision!

There are a couple of characteristics of a MkIII to consider with speaker selection. First, they can be very bright, even shrill. Second, they have oodles of power. My green stripe throws around 85 simul-class watts like Marshalls do with 100+ watts. Third, like most Boogies, it has tons of gain.

If you strive for balanced tone, with power stage crunch, you need multiple speakers to spread that power around. 2x12's do well in small environments but 4 speakers blends best for me. To push the power stage enough to get "that" sound, without over driving 1 speaker (making it really brittle or biting, and stupidly loud from one point), I like a pair of 2x12 cabs. The bigger ones tend to be somewhat bassy, so I prefer a little brighter speaker. My old Boogie 2x12 half-back vert cabs are ported on the bottom and sound massive. Matched with Celestion C90s, it's great. I get crisp top end without being shrill, chunky mids, and bone-jarring lows. Needless to say, I'm in love with it. 8)

I ran my loaded MKIII purple into a open-back 1-12 loaded with a mesa/celestion C90, and a Thiele loaded with an EVM12L. It was a great mini-stack

The EV12L/theile cab is just awesome with my mark III. I've tried different speakers in the combo and have settled on an earcandy greenmachine which is a Jensen speaker. The combo with the theile underneath is the best I've tried. Really great mix together. The Jensen's sounded really good in the earcandy buzzbomb cab also so that might be an option for a 2x12 cab for you. Look for a used one.

RussB said:
I ran my loaded MKIII purple into a open-back 1-12 loaded with a mesa/celestion C90, and a Thiele loaded with an EVM12L. It was a great mini-stack

+1 on this setup.

scott

Speaking of speakers/cabs, has anyone tried an oversized 2x12 with their Mark IIIs? How is it? I'm thinking of picking one up as a quick grab-go for practice sessions.

Latest posts

Back