Suddenly too many IICs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonathanccwong

Reaction score
Recently I got a IIC+ HRG combo and is currently in transit.

I just received another message for a IIC (not a plus) HR (non-graphic) that I was watching.
It's about $1300 shipped. the question is, should I get this one too? :roll:

Markedman said:
There was a C+ SRG combo on CL from Scotia, NY for months, the guy wanted $1,500.00, no takers.

Yea, and I've seen people pay way too much for them too. I would not necessarily call the C+ a stable market; the demand seems to fluctuate. Long-term it should retain value, but short-term is anyone's guess.

Here's a nice rig, but $3,550 for a 60/100? And serial 12271 might even be an upgrade :shock:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Versus this non-eq Simul for under $2,300:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

dodger916 said:
Yea, and I've seen people pay way too much for them too. I would not necessarily call the C+ a stable market; the demand seems to fluctuate. Long-term it should retain value, but short-term is anyone's guess.

So what would u consider a good price?
Say:

SRG
HRG
DRG

jonathanccwong said:
dodger916 said:

Say:

SRG
HRG
DRG

Tough to say definitively, but assuming they are all in good working and cosmetic condition, have modern tubes (not vintage Mesa STR415/416), and don't require servicing, here are some ranges:

SRG: $1,800 - $2,100
HRG $2,000 - $2,400
DRG $2,400 - $2,800

Again, these are very rough ballparks, but should give you a general idea of the ranges. For instance, if you can get a nice SRG for <$1,800 in the condition described above, I'd say it's a good deal; more than $2,100 would be a bit high. I have seen them trade beyond these ranges. If they have ST415/416s with good life left, expect to pay an extra $300+.

As mentioned before, I've seen the market for these amps fluctuate widely. I know a board member who paid $3,500 for a mint condition DRG. I bought my C+ "mutt" (DRGX converted from a IIA) for ~$1,500, but I needed to buy a headshell (thank, gts!). The funny part is Boogiebabies (who later blueprinted the amp) claims mine is among the "best" he's played, so you never really know!

And to complicate matters, go listen to some of gonzo's sound clips in the Rigs & Tones sub-forum. He plays a 60W IIB, and his recordings sound as good as any Mesa I've heard.

dodger916 said:
jonathanccwong said:
dodger916 said:

Say:

SRG
HRG
DRG

Tough to say definitively, but assuming they are all in good working and cosmetic condition, have modern tubes (not vintage Mesa STR415/416), and don't require servicing, here are some ranges:

HRG $2,000 - $2,400
DRG $2,400 - $2,800

Again, these are very rough ballparks, but should give you a general idea of the ranges. For instance, if you can get a nice SRG for <$1,800 in the condition described above, I'd say it's a good deal; more than $2,100 would be a bit high. I have seen them trade beyond these ranges. If they have ST415/416s with good life left, expect to pay an extra $300+.

As mentioned before, I've seen the market for these amps fluctuate widely. I know a board member who paid $3,500 for a mint condition DRG. I bought my C+ "mutt" (DRGX converted from a IIA) for ~$1,500, but I needed to buy a headshell (thank, gts!). The funny part is Boogiebabies (who later blueprinted the amp) claims mine is among the "best" he's played, so you never really know!

And to complicate matters, go listen to some of gonzo's sound clips in the Rigs & Tones sub-forum. He plays a 60W IIB, and his recordings sound as good as any Mesa I've heard.

Frank,

Your amp is the only one like it for more reasons than the upgrade. It has the only factory board I have seen where the amp has 20uf Cathode caps instead of 15uf. Ultimately, that lead to the most glorious clean channel, sweetest lead and with the transformers the planets really aligned. Mind you, I tested it with Sovtek 5881's too...... Without a doubt that amp has it in spades.

Standard for you and a possible modification for everyone else.

HRG $2,000 - $2,400
DRG $2,400 - $2,800

Without the 'qualifiers' Frank mentions (like STR 415, 416's) I think these ranges are reasonable for a 'good deal' on the low side of the listed ranges.
Perhaps even a realistic average price for an SRG and an HRG as you get toward the middle and high side of the range.
But imho a realistic range for a DRG would be more like 2800-3500 with 2800 being in the 'good' to 'very good' deal' range.

The 60/100 head in the ebay listing ended up going for $3550 which included a Thiele cab (and likely an EV in it)
It looks like one of the oddball/ anomalies we've seen over the years with C+'s
It has a IIC PT but a IIC+ (versus a IIC) faceplate.
Considering the PT, chassis date code (2/2/84), and the serial number (12271) imho it was likely a IIC that got upgraded at some point.
But "with all things Mesa" it could very easily have left the factory as a C+ but with the IIC's "100" PT (versus the 105 used during C+ production).
In any case it and the Thiele (a $350-400 value) selling for a combined $3550 shows that what they go for can vary quite a bit at any given time.
Also in the European market as well as in other parts of the world prices tend to be higher, often 30-40%+ higher.

Latest posts

Back