subway vs. 5:25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou

Reaction score
Hi all.

Not sure if this should be in "pre" or "post"!

anyway......I'm looking to get a mesa boogie for a small practice space.
the more I read the more confused I get

any tips?

sorry if this has been coverd 800 times...I did scan a bit though

Hi Lou,

I've had personal experience with the Subway Rocket (not the Blues) with presence. Thought it was ok, but never really bonded with it ...ended up selling it. Clean was only ok, wasn't enamored with the 10", the OD was too heavy-handed w/o subtlty, and the contour control is too one-dimensional. No I didn't "hate" it (despite what it sounds like here), but I didn't like it enough to merit keeping it. BTW, it is much better with an external cab like a thiele, but that defeats it's portability.

The 22cal w/ GEQ is the more versatile amp IMHO. With a 12" spkr and larger cab, it has a "bigger" voice. Clean is better and Lead channel you can actually dial in more subtlety all the way to metal. The caveat is that I have read (yeas, only read, never experienced it myself) about it being "less than durable" compared with the typical tank-like reputation of other Boogies. Perhaps the opinions of long-term owners is more applicable here, but I do like this amp (never owned it but played it and liked it).

The 5:25 is out of my experience, having only read about it and never played one, so I'll let someone else comment here. But one thing I find appealing is that Mesa apparently "fixed" that stupid Contour control by allowing you to alter its shape (approximating the versatility of a GEQ, at least) ...all previous "Contours" are useless, lame, and one dimensional IMHO.

Hope this give you some food for thought :)

Edward

Hi Lou,

You say for a small practice space...what does that mean? It is just you, or do you have a band? If so, how many players and what kind of music?
Also, what is your budget? There are many choices, but this will help us to narrow it down a bit.

Cheers,

Richt

I don't know what your budget or music style...also another good Boogie practice amp is the Lone Star Special. The 5W for home alone practice and then 30W for band rehearsal.

TONE AS THICK
AS WEST TEXAS CRUDE!
Introducing the new Pure Class A, EL-84 Powered LONE STAR SPECIAL® featuring Channel Assignable Power (patent pending) that allows you to assign 1, 2 or all 4 EL-84’s to either of its 2 Channels for independent Power Ratings of 5, 15 or 30 Watts!

Lou, it would help if we knew what type of
music you play and how you plan on using your practice amp. :wink:

did leave out a bit of information!!!!

Just rock.....I'm 50 (&*^*&$
I love my Marshall JTM 60 2 X 12
Don't like my 66 fender pro blackface

love an over-riding like tone..not clean at all
play all the leads in the band

we have 2 guitars bass drums...full band just small space

can't use my Marshall there and don't like Steve's Music Man at all

So I figure something in the 20w range would be nice.

someone mentioned a what was that...roadstar 5/30
that would be nice I could then iven sell of the marshall and use for all

as far as spending I wouldn't mind used 5-6 but I'd go 8 9 even 12 if something sparks me

But I've set out to just be able to have a little amp at practice...get my tone and not have to lift and carry anything!!

Thanks again for all the responses and help
great board

Hi Lou,

You're welcome. :)
Hmmm, since you really like your JTM tone and you have a pretty healthy budget there, you could consider one of the myriad 18-watt clones out there ...lots of love for these among marshall aficionados! If you go this route, check out TGP --thegearpage forum-- as there are lots over there who know these clones inside-out.

If you want to stick w/ Mesa, there's always a Stiletto which is (arguably) closer to JTM than the other boogs. Not sure there's a small/light combo in this format, though.

But for one of the nicest "grab-n-go" smallish amps from Mesa IMHO is the DC3. With 4 EL84s, two discrete tone stacks, AND an assignable GEQ, it covers lots of tonal ground. And it sounds killer, of course. Can produce lovely/chimey cleans w/ breakup around the edges, not to mention the Lead channel's OD is it's forte. While I'm not personally a big fan of the V30, at least you have a 12" sprk instead of a 10" in a subway so you can load it anyway you like (or you may love the V30 since you're a marshall guy more than you are a fender guy). Hope that helps you a bit.

Edward

Think you are spot on Edward.

Just came back form GC. My intention was to purchase the Lonestar Special, (tubegear junkie). I liked it but wasn't blown away. The sales guys guy wasn't exactly Dale Carnegie though. He did hook me up to the Stiletto and hands down I liked it the best.

didn't like the express 5.25 and also didn't like the Lonestar 50/100

Someone is coming by tonight with a 22+ eq for 500, I'll have a look/listen
recently saw a DC3 go for 510 on ebay

someone has a lonestar special listed reserve not meet at 1295 buy it now for 1599 plus 85 shipping...what's the point of that????? get it brand new for 1799

thanks continued

I'll have a look at some of the other item mentioned

I think what I liked about the stiletto was it still had sound at lower volumes so the 50 watts could work for me. Ofcourse if I get either of these amps I would sell off the others.

On the Lonestar Special...I'm going to look at it at another GC...I think the guy at the store liked the Stiletto better and didn't show the LS very well.

clean channel at 15 watts, dirty channel at 5 watts, get the master up about noon and the channel volumes as high as they'll let you, and I bet you'll like the LSS.

Wound up buying the studio 22 with EQ I liked it a lot and will work well for the room we are in.

Of course now I have the boogie bug and I'm sure I'l get a LSS or Stiletto soon enough for my play out amp

thanks for all your help

will try those settings you mentioned phyrexia

Latest posts

Back