Studio Series vs Studio .22 vs Studio .22+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the Studio Series and the Studio .22 are basically the same circuit. The Studio .22+ differs from the non-plus version in that it has a separate lead master volume control. The schematics for the two versions have very few differences other than that.

I was actually in the same boat as you...I have a Studio Pre with a Simul 395 that I love but I needed a smaller option. I looked around locally for a Studio .22+ and wound up finding a Studio .22 without the graphic EQ. I just won a Studio .22+ with the GEQ on eBay, and I'm planning to keep whichever one I like better. I'm expecting to prefer the .22+, based on the added flexibility of the lead master and the GEQ (without the GEQ it is a VERY midrangey amp), but we'll see. The .22 definitely sounds great in its own right. However, I don't really find the character of the amp to be very close to the Studio Preamp. The lack of a lead drive control makes it pretty much impossible to get a pristine clean and a smooth crunchy lead with the same channel settings. The EL84s in the power amp give the overall tone a very different character than my rack setup has. It's a cool character in its own right, but different. If you set the amp to optimize the rhythm mode for clean, you get some real compressed Vox-y tones that always have a little bit of dirt in them (with humbuckers at least), but sound real nice. You can get far more gain out of the lead mode than I could imagine necessary. But with the EL84s in the power amp, it doesn't sound like a Mark so much.

I will definitely be keeping either the .22 or the .22+, but it's not a simple drop-in replacement for a Studio Preamp.

Thanks for the reply Whoopysnorp. Pretty funny how we have the same preamp/poweramp but I am sure there are many others on this board with that set up as well.

If I get an non "+" I would definitely send to Mesa for the upgrade to handle the volume issue. I have heard of others solving it using the GEQ on the lead channel only to bring down its volume to match the clean. A Studio Series or .22 w/o GEQ would have to be for home use only unless it was upgraded to "+" specs.

I also use a Peavey 50/50 power amp with a Studio Preamp and love the tone so I figured a Studio combo would be comparable given both power sections use EL-84 power tubes. I also figured the Studio Preamp was descendant from the Studio combo rather than directly from the Mark Series. Sounds like I may be looking for a Mark II 60 watt combo rather than a Studio 22 watt combo.

Any other opinions out there?

Hmm, well, my new Studio .22+ came in today, and it won't footswitch from rhythm to lead. The graphic EQ can't be switched in from the front panel switch, but it will work when it's activated using the footswitch jack. Anybody run into this before?

I'm hoping to get my new .22+ into the shop this coming week so I can find out how the lead mode sounds, but two things I can say are that this one sounds overall cleaner and more alive than my .22, and I'm really liking the tone of the rhythm mode with the gain dimed. Sounds very Mar

Whoopysnorp said:
Hmm, well, my new Studio .22+ came in today, and it won't footswitch from rhythm to lead. The graphic EQ can't be switched in from the front panel switch, but it will work when it's activated using the footswitch jack. Anybody run into this before?

Sounds like a relay to me.

Latest posts

Back