Studio Pre into Mark III Power Section???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reo73

Reaction score
I have a Mark III Blue Stripe Simulclass and I was thinking of picking up a Studio Pre and running it into the power section of the Mark III through the effects loop in jack. I really like the clips of the Studio Pre I have heard but don't want to necessarily invest in a separate rack power amp. Any reason to not think this would be a killer set up?

I've got a Studio Pre and I love it. It's not expensive (I think you could find one in the $300-$400 range), so it shouldn't hurt to buy one as an experiment anyway. Keep in mind that it wouldn't sound much different from you MKIII (specially if it's the C+ modded one!), however it would be very useful if you wanted to have two lead channels (one for crisp and aggressive heavy rhythm tones, one for smooth and liquid solo tones). Clean channel is awesome too.

Thanks...

There is a certain low end tone quality that has a heavier metallic sound that the Studio Pre seems to contain that i have been in search of. Since getting my Mark III modded it has this qulity slightly but when I hear clips of the Studio Pre / Mark IV / and Triaxis I really hear it and I love that tone. I heard somewhere that the Studio Pre is identical circuitry to the IIC+ in the lead channel?

reo73 said:
I heard somewhere that the Studio Pre is identical circuitry to the IIC+ in the lead channel?
Actually it should be similar to the preamp section of the MarkIIC, though probably not exactly the same. I suppose it's something between the C and the C+.
Although the Studio is not the best choice for live performances (if you owned 4 of them it would be all another story!), I think this little pre deserves to be more popular than it is.

The Studio is indeed almost exactly like the IIC+, power output section aside. Check out Schnarf's much enlightening post about his call to Mike B.

Latest posts

Back