Studio 22plus

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shakti79

Reaction score
Hi, first post here :D
i need to replace the tubes on my amp, a Studio 22+
Which tubes do you reccomend in the pre and in the power?
I was thinking to put 5 EH12ax7 or JJ Ecc83s
The tubes in the pre are interchargeable?

Thanks
Shakti

G'day Shakti and Welcome to The Boogie Board.

I posted a similar question for my DC2 a cuppla days ago and only got one reply.

I'm considering JJ's for mine but I'll wait and see if there are any other replies.
Preamp tubes cost about 25 bucks each down here in Australia so I don't wanna make the wrong decision.

Tube preference is such an individual thing. I have a DC-3, and I have tried a variety of configurations. The JJs from Bob at Eurotubes are definitely a good deal. I always used to run the amp with stock boogie tubes, and when the amp was new, they sounded just incredible.

Next I tried the EH 12ax7s, and I liked them a lot too. After that I moved on to JJs. The JJ EC83s tubes are more "smooth" to my ears - less brittle sounding. I have to push the front end more to get the same break-up with these tubes, but I do like the overall sound. More of a vintage vibe, in my opinion - think Vox on steroids.

What I am doing currently is using the EH tubes in V2 and V6, and all the others are the JJs. I like it like this - seems like a good compromise.

For power amp tubes I am currently using the JJs, but I don't hear much difference between those and the EH EL84s.

Basically if you don't want to stray too much from the original sound of the amp, try a new set of EH tubes. If you want to start playing around with your sound, move over to JJs. If you use Eurotubes, Bob's a lot of help in terms of figuring out what you'll need to get the sound you're looking for.

Hope this helps.

This might be helpful in your quest for “the tone”.
http://www.tubedepot.com/12ax7reviews.html
http://www.tubedepot.com/el84reviews.html

I just did a repair job on a DC-2. It had Sovtek 12AX7WB's and on EH 12AX7 in the reverb spot. It also had stock Mesa russian EL84's. After figuring out the effects loop problem and the reverb hum ( Bad Effects Level pot solved both problems), with these stock tubes I could not imagine that this little amp would sound so good. The cleans were superb, the R2 was sweet with gain and sustain and the Contour Ch. was brutal. I played it with an 87 Jackson strat with a Tone Zone and the stock jackson single coils through a Mesa 1X12 ported Thiele. What a great amp, even with run of the mill tubes.

Boogiebabies said:
I just did a repair job on a DC-2. It had Sovtek 12AX7WB's and on EH 12AX7 in the reverb spot. It also had stock Mesa russian EL84's. After figuring out the effects loop problem and the reverb hum ( Bad Effects Level pot solved both problems), with these stock tubes I could not imagine that this little amp would sound so good. The cleans were superb, the R2 was sweet with gain and sustain and the Contour Ch. was brutal. I played it with an 87 Jackson strat with a Tone Zone and the stock jackson single coils through a Mesa 1X12 ported Thiele. What a great amp, even with run of the mill tubes.
:lol: I regularly play mine through a 4 X 12 loaded with Classic lead 80's and it never ceases to amaze me how loud it is and how great it sounds.

I have the same tubes in my Studio .22+ as the day I got it except V2. I put in an old no name 12AX7 that I had lying around and it made the amp much better sounding. It smoothed out the distortion a lot. I wish I knew what it was, but I'm guessing it's of European origin. I'm also running an Altec 417-8H speaker.

Latest posts

Back