Messa Boogie Studio .22 Tube Layout

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farrmar

Reaction score
Hello, I hope you all are well. I just got a Studio .22 and have to install the tubes, which I have, but I cannot read electrical schematics. Are there any drawings, pictures, or instructions available on which tube goes where for the electrically illiterate?
Thank you
Mark

I have not seen anything in the manual. Odd there is no tube task chart.
The sockets along the front of the chassis are for the 12AX7 tubes. And the two in the rear are for the EL84/6BQ5 power tubes. If you have any preamp tubes with matched triodes, that would go into V5 (phase inverter). I believe the 12AX7 tubes run in order from V1(closest to the input jack). V5 should be at the opposite end. Not much documentation available (looked up manual on Legacy Mesa Boogie website since Gibson changed the website for Mesa. At least they retained a copy of the original). Wait and see if any Studio amp owners chime in. I would hate to give bad advice since I never owned a Studio amp model.

Are the preamp tubes you have all the same? If they are then it doesn't really matter what socket they go into. If you got a 'balanced' tube for the phase inverter, that needs to go into the V5 socket, which is the farthest one for the input jack.

I would recommend taking the chassis out if this is your first time. remove the 4 screws in the top of the cab, and it slides out the back.
Unplug the amp first, and don't forget to unplug the reverb cables, and don't go poking around the capacitors with anything metal.

I suggest this because the tube pins are easy to bend when trying to blindly install the tubes upside down.

There are 5 sockets in a row in the middle of the PCB. These are the preamp tubes. The other 2 are the power tubes, to paraphrase Bandit2013.

Here's a link with a nice pic of the sockets:
https://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/music/studio22.html

Hello, I hope you all are well. I just got a Studio .22 and have to install the tubes, which I have, but I cannot read electrical schematics. Are there any drawings, pictures, or instructions available on which tube goes where for the electrically illiterate?
Thank you
Mark
I am sure you got this sorted out by now, but just posting to help anyone that comes across this in the future. If you turn the amp around and peek inside, the first two tubes you see are longer than the others - those are the EL84 power tubes. The row in front, (closer to the grill cloth) are the preamp tubes. The one on the far right is V1 (Both halves tied together as first gain stage for the lead channel). Next tube over is V2 (first and second stage for clean channel and 2nd and third stage for lead). V3 is next, (I forget but I think that is for the send and return for FX loop). V4 is for the reverb and V5 is the phase inverter.

Mike

Back