Studio .22 valves and tweaks

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS

Reaction score
I have a Studio .22 serial number SS1334. Bought in 1986, I think. All MB valves at the moment.

It’s in for another service now. I’d like more headroom on the output if anyone has any valve suggestions. I’m also wondering whether to put a V30 in it. I'm also told there's no way to increase the reverb level which has always been too quiet to be useable, if anyone has any ideas.

I went for a week or two with a really bad, noisy tone, until I realized that the grub screw had gone on the gain control and the knob was going round and round with next to no gain on the input!

Thanks,
Dave.

DaveS said:
I have a Studio .22 serial number SS1334. Bought in 1986, I think. All MB valves at the moment.

It’s in for another service now. I’d like more headroom on the output if anyone has any valve suggestions. I’m also wondering whether to put a V30 in it. I'm also told there's no way to increase the reverb level which has always been too quiet to be useable, if anyone has any ideas.

I went for a week or two with a really bad, noisy tone, until I realized that the grub screw had gone on the gain control and the knob was going round and round with next to no gain on the input!

Thanks,
Dave.

for more headroom before the power section breaks up, I know mesa and groove tubes rate power tubes. you can get a set that stay cleaner a little longer. and some people feel that a 12at7, which has lower gain than a 12ax7, in the phase inverter slot on the amp will increase headroom. the phase inverter tube is usually the one furthest from the input on the amp.

Thanks, I didn't know about that. Still wondering about different valves and whether a V30 is worthwhile.

Hello !

I need a little help here !

I want to know what is the power consumption in WATTS, for a Mesa Boogie Studio .22 . I'm waiting for an amp like this to arrive from the USA in few days and I need to know thsi detail in order to buy for the amp a power suplier from 220V - to 110V !!!

THANKS A LOT !!! Marcian - from Romania

Lyman is right, different tubes will give you different amounts of headroom, which is what you are probably calling volume.

For more headroom, use GT with a rating of 8 or so. I'm not sure what the color for Mesa tubes would be, but I'm sure that if you called them, they would be able to tell you. You might try the Hollywood store today, they just may be open.

As for the V-30....
I prefer the Heritage 30 myself. The V-30 is too nasally for my tastes, too much midrange.
I put a Heritage 30 clone in mine when I had it and it opened up an entirely different tonal world.

This is what I used: http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=18088&pg=45004&id=9911210

The cones and voice coils are made by the original Celestion supplier and then shipped to the US. They are very nice speakers.

Or, you could get a Hellatone 30 (Heritage 30) or Hellatone 60L (V-30 with more bass) from Dave at Avatar Speakers. He takes Celestion speakers and breaks them in. I do not know if these are Chinese or English made, but the 2 60L's that I have in my Lonestar cab sound really good.

If you want to make the Studio 22 less noisy try out a NOS Zaerix 12AX7 tube in V1. If you prefer more headroom a JAN-Philips 5751 tube in V1 might be your choice.

If you want more headroom, use a more efficient speaker. I use an Altec 817-8H in mine. Try a Weber California, Neo or Michigan, Eminence Commonwealth.

Latest posts

Back