Studio .22+ switching from lead to rhythm

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Reaction score
I just picked up a nice clean '89 Studio .22+ (no graphic EQ) a few days ago. The amp sounds great and functions as expected though I have one question.

When I switch from lead to rhythm modes the amplifier becomes momentarily louder. Like a very brief "flare" in volume between modes. After that it's back to the volume I have it set at. I assume this is normal and might be related to the order in which the LDRs function but I figured I'd ask to make sure.

Thanks!

I have an '89 22+. Great amp!
Sometimes the reverb can give that effect. Does it do the same with reverb off?

I'm not sure. I'll try that tonight. Thanks!

The tubes test fine (though that doesn't always mean they'll function well in an amp) and it sounds great otherwise, so I left them alone, but I have a lot of 12AX7s I can try.

The power tubes are made in USA Mesa labeled EL-84s (Philips?). V1 is a Westinghouse labeled 12AX7 that was made in Holland (also Philips?) and the rest are Chinese 12AX7s.

tonejam said:
I have an '89 22+. Great amp!
Sometimes the reverb can give that effect. Does it do the same with reverb off?

It's the reverb! It "flairs" when switching from the dirty to clean modes. It's not so noticeable going the other way.

I used the amp at a rehearsal tonight. I figured out how the balance of Volume, Master and Lead Master works by the last song :roll:.

You really gotta crank this amp to get the best out of it. Luckily, the band I'm in plays LOUD. I'm used to using different amp settings with the band than at home but it's a big deal with this amp. Once the Master is cranked the lead mode stops being as harsh. Crank the master too far with the volume and Lead Master set too low and the amp is thin sounding and disappears in the mix.

It's definitely trickier than my previous Mesa amps (an Express 5:50 and a Subway Rocket). You can see where Boogies got the reputation for being herd to set up.

It's also very musical and rewarding.

A few things..switching tubes can have an effect-Many of us get the Lead Drive Mod....You should too, it gives you lots of control over the balance between the two modes. The reverb flare gets me a bit, as the reverb kinda sucks in the amp, but when you hit the switch you have a brief moment of Fender goodness in the 'verb. You should use the send/return if you have modulation pedals and want to use them with the lead drive and not have them 'bleed'-esp. digital delay. Keep it serviced, find a setup you like, and you have a sweet little tone machine. Also, look into a different speaker if you have the stock VS-12 and find it harsh. The also-stock MC-90 Eminence or EVL speakers are fantastic. Others like Celestion Vintage 30s. Oh, get.the.lead.drive.mod.now!

Thanks Bob.

I liked the C-90 in my Express 5:50 a lot. It had a nice full, rich sound. I'm actually not put off by the stock VS-12 at all. In fact, I like it.

The reverb was incredible on that amp. I expected the reverb to be better in the Studio. I have a couple of spare long reverb tanks- a 2-spring and a 3-spring, both long decay, from a Princeton Reverb clone that I just built that I might try in it. I went with a 3-spring medium decay in that amp. I have plenty of cable and RCA plugs as well.

The lead drive mod is a no brainer. I have the parts on hand anyway.

Latest posts

Back