Studio .22+....so far

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.Crossfield

Reaction score
Hi everyone. New member, second post. I have had about a month to get to know my first Mesa....a Studio .22+. Built 4/89, no graph. e.q., blue stripe under power cord?, original speaker, new Tung-Sol preamp and JJ power tubes, mint condition. What I like....alot of useable gain, nice cleans, seems to like my pedals, no muddiness, very articulate and loud. What I don't like....top end. Seem's very bright. I have two mahogany set-neck guitars with humbuckers...one with EMG 81/85, the other with PRS/Crunchlab. I have tried an e.q. pedal. It did not help. I have also cleaned the pots. I am considering selling it because of this. I would like to hear from other Studio .22+ owners with any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you.

I've had my 22+ since new, 1990. Same deal, no EQ. They are a very bright amp, yes, but if you can't fix that with the treble and presence control on the amp, or an EQ pedal (or the tone control on your guitar, for that matter), I'd say there's something wrong with it.
It may be that you just don't like the stock speaker. I replaced mine with a Weber Blue Dog alnico, and that gave me a sweeter top end. Also, where are you setting the pre-amp volume control? It makes a HUGE difference in the tone of the amp. As you raise it, the amp fattens up, and becomes less toppy. Around 3 and below, the thing will cut your head off with treble!
Try a few different brands of preamp tubes, that will also effect the tone. There's a lot to try before you decide to sell it.
I bought a 5:25 Express, supposedly to replace my 22+, because it had 2 totally independent channels. A year later, I sold the Express. Still got my 22+. Its a great amp, I love it to bits, and I'd never sell it.

Thank you for the reply. On the lead mode I set my volume at 10....the lead master and master are in series in this mode(that's my understanding anyway), those I adjust to about 2.5 to 3. Anymore and I can't be in the same room with it. I have tried a different speaker, WGS Retro 30, and that just sucked. I re-tubed it myself. I have even tried a couple of O.D. and distortion pedals on the clean mode. That makes it even brighter. Turning the treble and presence down takes so much of the articulation out of the amp. I have re-biased amps before, I am no tech, but I heard these are biased hot from Mesa. Any chance that could cause a problem with brightness? Thank you.

The Studio .22+ is a really good amp, but it needs a bit of massaging. I would look for the EQ version-it adds a nice variable, and I highly recommend the replacement C-90 Black Shadow speaker-more headroom and warmth--or the EV version-the stock Eminence is harsh and midrangey, which the amp can be as well. Maybe drop your presence control a bit and the midrange too-I prefer a darker clean tone. You probabl should get your tubes checked as well, and go online for the manual-It's got some really good ideas on the care and feeding of the amp, as well as settings.

Back