Studio 22+ Loss of Gain/Highs/Harshness

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tasoth

Reaction score
So I've got my Studio22+ for around 3 years now (bought it from ebay) and I like to play some extreme metal sounds. The amp always provided a nice amount of gain and more screaming/chainsawlike highs than i ever needed.

In a slow progress over the last months the sound got more flabby and lost a lot of it's "bite". It seems less distorted but the main problem is that the upper highs (I hope that makes sense to you) are mostly gone. It's my first tube-amp so I'm not that familiar with tube problems. I searched around in the internet and asked my guitar teacher and came to the conclusion that the power tubes may be used up. So I buyed some new ones and changed them. The tone didn't change at all ...well... at least not the problem I'm talking about. The tubes I bought were 2 unmatched sovtek ones so I didn't tested them for a long time because I feared they could harm my amp. After realising that the power tubes don't solve my problem I put the old ones back in.

I also checked the preamp tubes by putting the reverb tube (V4) in all other slots but nothing changed. At least I learned that my reverb tube is a bit more microphonic/noisy that my V1 tube, but that's not a problem anyway. :wink:

The next thing I might do is to go to an engineer. I know one that is quite good and he repaired this amp before ~1-2 years ago. Completely different problem though...

There is just one strange thing I noticed when playing around with my amp to get more information about the problem. If I plug a cable that is not connected with anything else into the effect return the sound is not muted. It is just a lot more quitely. Is that ok? I always thought the signal should be completely muted then.
The sound does not only become quite it also sounds overly harsh and screaming. It's like the exact opposite of my current tone.
I'm not sure if that is wrong at all so I thought I should rather ask here and look like an idiot in the anonymous internet that in front of an engineer. :lol:

And by the way: A cable connecting effect send and return does not solve the problem. :p
On a side note: No, I did not screw up my ears and can't hear such high frequencies anymore. I'm pretty sure everything is fine with my hearing. :)

Thanks in advance. I hope you can help me to get my great tone back.

Tasoth said:
So I've got my Studio22+ for around 3 years now (bought it from ebay) and I like to play some extreme metal sounds. The amp always provided a nice amount of gain and more screaming/chainsawlike highs than i ever needed.

In a slow progress over the last months the sound got more flabby and lost a lot of it's "bite". It seems less distorted but the main problem is that the upper highs (I hope that makes sense to you) are mostly gone. It's my first tube-amp so I'm not that familiar with tube problems. I searched around in the internet and asked my guitar teacher and came to the conclusion that the power tubes may be used up. So I buyed some new ones and changed them. The tone didn't change at all ...well... at least not the problem I'm talking about. The tubes I bought were 2 unmatched sovtek ones so I didn't tested them for a long time because I feared they could harm my amp. After realising that the power tubes don't solve my problem I put the old ones back in.

I also checked the preamp tubes by putting the reverb tube (V4) in all other slots but nothing changed. At least I learned that my reverb tube is a bit more microphonic/noisy that my V1 tube, but that's not a problem anyway. :wink:

The next thing I might do is to go to an engineer. I know one that is quite good and he repaired this amp before ~1-2 years ago. Completely different problem though...

There is just one strange thing I noticed when playing around with my amp to get more information about the problem. If I plug a cable that is not connected with anything else into the effect return the sound is not muted. It is just a lot more quitely. Is that ok? I always thought the signal should be completely muted then.
The sound does not only become quite it also sounds overly harsh and screaming. It's like the exact opposite of my current tone.
I'm not sure if that is wrong at all so I thought I should rather ask here and look like an idiot in the anonymous internet that in front of an engineer. :lol:

And by the way: A cable connecting effect send and return does not solve the problem. :p
On a side note: No, I did not screw up my ears and can't hear such high frequencies anymore. I'm pretty sure everything is fine with my hearing. :)

Thanks in advance. I hope you can help me to get my great tone back.
Your power tubes do need to be matched. That is all I can tell you, except get some more preamp tubes and try them out. I'm guessing you are not in the US, so by engineer you mean amp tech? Your amp is probably pretty old and could use a good one over by a tech if you cant figure it out on your own. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Back