Studio 22 Blues

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesatonedrone

Reaction score
Hello, New to The Boogie Board.

Have some issues with a Studio 22 non + model. w/EQ and Verb.

Takes quite awhile before you can actualy tell a difference when changing channels. After about 10-15 min of playing the amp finally goes from rythem to lead. I mean you can distinguish between the two channels then.

Also, The graphic EQ seems to bleed tone through even when set to lead only.

Any ideas out there? I've been into Boogies for years and have owned many models. I seem to have a liking to the old Studio 22 the most though as far as there vintage amps go.

Thanks

So, to be clear, the actual channel switching happens immediately, but there's a delay in hearing the audio change .. yes??

I'd first look at PSU caps. The red-ended ones are reportedly good for life, but I personally do not subscribe to this. I change 'em if over 20yrs. Always.

Then in no order, I'd chase voltages through each tube, check socket tension and most importantly look for dry joints in the board.
Studio 22's can get pretty hot, and the PCB's are machine-snipped so the amount of component lead in the solder hole can end up quite small..
Add in couple decades of heating/cooling, flexing, moving... voila.. dry joint..
Good luck.. love to hear the outcome..

Thanks for the replies.
Channel switching does happen as soon as amp is on. Just takes 10-15 mins. before you can tell your on lead channel for sure without looking at footswitch. Before the 10-15 mins., I can just notice a very slight change in gain jump like when you would normaly switch to lead.
The dry joints makes sense. There was one cap or something loose on one end when I opened the amp up for inspection the day I brought her home. I'll have to do some more checking. Hate to send back to Mesa if I dont have to but it would probably be best to have her overhauled I guess. I picked this up off the original owner and know the amps history. (I know the guy too.)
You think the EQ tone adjustment bleeding through when set to lead only,(while playing in clean clean channel), Would be same problem probably too?

Hey, While I'm on here, I have a Dual 6V6, 3-12ax7 plus a rectifier tube amp desinged after the trainwreck circut. I have to crank the thing to get that sweet overdrivin tone I bought it for. Would it damage the amp to run it with just one 6V6? Would this lower the wattage? Would this get me to the overdriven tone at a lower volume? Should I just buy an attenuator? I understand they affect your tone though. Is it ok to run an effects processor in front of the amp?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again for your replies.

Don't run an amp built for two power tubes with just one. You might get away with it but it's not a god idea.

Back