Streamlining

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman63

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm fairly new to the board, though I have been lurking for a while. I currently have a Stilletto Ace 2x12 that I bought new about a year ago, and played out with twice. About three months ago, on impulse, I bought a new F50 1x12 for a pretty good price...played out with once. These both are mostly played at home. Overkill, I know. I play rock, metal, pop, classic rock, and blues at my church. I'm thinking of selling both and looking at the Express 5.50 maybe to replace them. Any opinions? Thanks

Garth

The 5:50 would be as much an overkill as either of the other two.
What I would do is try out the 5:50 then choose between the three deciding on which suits your style better.
They are all 50 watts but the 5;50 has the option of lowering the wattage.
But on the other hand, of the three mentioned here,, the 5:50 would be my last choice of the three if I wanted a metal amp.
They are all nice but only you can decide which suits you the best.

To me the 5-50 is the F-50 with more bells and whistles. Whats wrong with just using what you got and get a really cool guitar? If I was you I would just keep the two amps and change one out when you get tired of it. [/i]

fishyfishfish said:
To me the 5-50 is the F-50 with more bells and whistles. Whats wrong with just using what you got and get a really cool guitar? If I was you I would just keep the two amps and change one out when you get tired of it. [/i]

No way! I too purchased an F-50 on impulse, and had a hate-hate affair with that amp until I traded it for a 5:50. The 5:50 is more like the original Studio .22 and .50 Caliber amps in the gain and tone department (I owned an original Studio .22 for ten years, and foolishly traded it for Soldano Hot Rod 50 in the mid-nineties). The F-50's gain channel is pure Recto-style fizzy mud (man, I absolutely hate the sound of the Recto and the music genre that it inspired), and the clean channel is harsh and stiff.

Tonestack said:
fishyfishfish said:

No way! I too purchased an F-50 on impulse, and had a hate-hate affair with that amp until I traded it for a 5:50. The 5:50 is more like the original Studio .22 and .50 Caliber amps in the gain and tone department (I owned an original Studio .22 for ten years, and foolishly traded it for Soldano Hot Rod 50 in the mid-nineties). The F-50's gain channel is pure Recto-style fizzy mud (man, I absolutely hate the sound of the Recto and the music genre that it inspired), and the clean channel is harsh and stiff.

Uh, no on that last sentence. I easily get classic rock tones from my F-50. The clean channel is anything but harsh and stiff. To each his own.

mikeyp said:
Uh, no on that last sentence. I easily get classic rock tones from my F-50. The clean channel is anything but harsh and stiff. To each his own.

The F-50 is such a compromised amp design that it does nothing well. It basically has an unusable gain channel unless one wants to keep it set at seven o'clock or less. The clean channel is dull, and reacts more like a solid-state amp. I dare you to put the F-50 up against an old-school, silicon-rectified amp like a Marshall Mk II 50W, and tell me that the F-50 has the same bounce and elasticity (the difference is even greater when one compares the F-50 to a tube-rectified amp such as a Fender Pro). The only member of the F-Series that feels like a tube amp is the F-30, and that is mostly due to an RC network in the power amp.

IMHO, Mesa got the 5:50 right. They threw away the heavily-compressed “buzz metal” baggage that they added to the caliber architecture with the F-50, and built an amp with a more usable range of gain. With the 5:50, it is possible for one to go from clean->chime->crunch->burn just by using the volume control on one’s guitar. That characteristic is the hallmark of a well-balanced signal path.

And which music genre are you referring too? Because most people are mis-informed about the recto.

By the way, I have seen recto's used in pop, rock, jazz, funk, metal, hardcore, country, and everytime it sounded **** good no matter what sound it was going for.

So which sound do you hate it for?

Tonestack said:
fishyfishfish said:

siggy14 said:
And which music genre are you referring too? Because most people are mis-informed about the recto.

That bottom-heavy, buzzy stuff that passes for hard rock and metal today.

siggy14 said:
By the way, I have seen recto's used in pop, rock, jazz, funk, metal, hardcore, country, and everytime it sounded **** good no matter what sound it was going for.

I have played almost all of the amps in the Rectifier line in "real world" settings and hated them all. Whereas the Mark-series are mid-heavy, the Rectos are severely wanting in the upper-mid frequencies (plus, they all have this top-end sizzle that I cannot stand). It is darn near impossible to get a Recto to break into violin-like sustain without that darn top-end sizzle ruining things. It is also almost impossible to set a Recto up such that one can go from clean to mean by riding the volume control on one's guitar. The clean that one gets when set up this way is constricted sounding with zero spank, even in tube rectifier mode. The Recto is a nightmare for the player who uses technique and the volume control on his/her guitar to create a thousand shades of distortion.

Well lets start off by saying, the recto's will orignaly designed for 80's shred metal, then redesigned for grundge, while most grundge artists where using marshall's not many switched over to the recto till later on.

Yes nu-metal thrusted the recto into the spotlight, but that is not what it was designed for originally and once again I have seen it excel in all types of music, but yes it is mostly a hard rock to metal amp.

I too have also played every recto made, right now sitting in my room i have a pre-500 recto, which is the fifth recto ever made, a rackmount recto, a roadking V1 and a tremoverb and a voodoo moded 3 channel dual recto. I have also owned 3 channel dual rec, a single rectoverb VII and have a two channel triple on its way.

I have had so many different recto's, all the revisions,I have also played my friends roadster and I have a friend that plays a 3 channel triple and neither sound buzzy and are very versitile.

So you dont think I am biased, i also own a Mark IVA, Stiletto Stage II, bogner XTC and a bogner Uber, a peavey Ultra 1x12 combo, two marshall JMP-1 Preamps, one modified by voodoo and the other stock.

In the past I have owned pretty much every marshall I could get my hands on, Jub's, JCM800's, JCM900's, JCM2000's, plexi's, you name it i have owned every variation of these amps.

I have also owned 3 different slo's, and one hod rod 50+, a splawn moded Marshall 1987X and many many other amps.

With that being said, I have no problem making my recto sing, yes it will never sing as good as the Mark IV, but it is **** close

I have no trouble getting a great ac/dc tone to almost any rock tone, I just use the red channel and roll back the volume on my guitar.

I will admit, Mostly i use it for harder rock, but it does nail regular rock.

As to wanting to go from Clean to dirty with your volume knob, i cant seem to understand why you would want too, maybe slighlty dirty to massive gain, but it is a multi channel amp, use them. Mostly the roll back of the knob to clean was used on those one channel one trick ponies.

If you are that picky about your cleans get another amp or get the roadking as it does both very well.

Honestly, you sound like just another left back from the 70's and 80's that likes to bash the recto line, yes it is not your marshalls of old, but it is a great rythem amp, with the ability to solo. As to the fizzy top end, well I never seem to have trouble getting rid of it!

Where I agree with you, is the recto's are a bit mid cut, and because of that you need to keep the mid's and presense up, I also find using a traditional recto cab helps alot with the mid's. But even though it is a mid cut amp, Of over 100 bands I have seen using a recto, I never saw one that had trouble cutting through, even with the oversized cabs.

On a personal note, if you are more of a Mark IV guy, check out the voodoo modded recto, they make it a mix between the Mark IV and a recto, I think it is right up your ally.

Tonestack said:
siggy14 said:

siggy14 said:

I have played almost all of the amps in the Rectifier line in "real world" settings and hated them all. Whereas the Mark-series are mid-heavy, the Rectos are severely wanting in the upper-mid frequencies (plus, they all have this top-end sizzle that I cannot stand). It is darn near impossible to get a Recto to break into violin-like sustain without that darn top-end sizzle ruining things. It is also almost impossible to set a Recto up such that one can go from clean to mean by riding the volume control on one's guitar. The clean that one gets when set up this way is constricted sounding with zero spank, even in tube rectifier mode. The Recto is a nightmare for the player who uses technique and the volume control on his/her guitar to create a thousand shades of distortion.

siggy14 said:
right now sitting in my room i have a pre-500 recto, which is the fifth recto ever made, a rackmount recto, a roadking V1 and a tremoverb and a voodoo moded 3 channel dual recto and have a two channel triple on its way.

So you dont think I am biased, i also own a Mark IVA, Stiletto Stage II, bogner XTC and a bogner Uber, a peavey Ultra 1x12 combo, two marshall JMP-1 Preamps, one modified by voodoo and the other stock.

a) where do live?
b) when do you leave?

LOL, I live in Virginia, and i will let you guess when I am home or not.

tobytheplatypus said:
siggy14 said:
right now sitting in my room i have a pre-500 recto, which is the fifth recto ever made, a rackmount recto, a roadking V1 and a tremoverb and a voodoo moded 3 channel dual recto and have a two channel triple on its way.

a) where do live?
b) when do you leave?

siggy14.... Notice you have a Bogner XTC... nice amps! What model is it? I tried the Classic EL34 and it was really nice... I thought it and the Stiletto Deuce were very similar but of course it wasn't live with a band... only in a store and it was out of my $$$ range.

Defintly a great amp, however I am happy with my stiletto Duece II so the bogner will be sold. Mine is the regular XTC 101B.

Honestly, I can get my duece to sound like the lead channel of the XTC, however the XTC also has the second channel and the clean channel which is awesome. But for the price I just cant justify keeing it, now if channel 2 and 3 had different EQ's, I would never part with it. The one I have has all the bells and whistles, the A/AB, the old/New switch and also the individual line out levels for each channel.

srf399 said:
siggy14.... Notice you have a Bogner XTC... nice amps! What model is it? I tried the Classic EL34 and it was really nice... I thought it and the Stiletto Deuce were very similar but of course it wasn't live with a band... only in a store and it was out of my $$$ range.

Tonestack said:
siggy14 said:

siggy14 said:

I tend to agree with most of what you're saying regarding the Recto's -- but not entirely...They are much more useful and musical than you are stating. Yes, you have to take a non-conventional approach to them...and they would not be my first choice if I was looking to buy One (1) amp. It has its niche.

And BTW, Russ Freeman (Rippingtons) uses a Recto as part of his rig and I don't know if anyone who makes better use of the volume knob to yield various shades of distortion...so YMMV! :wink:

Tonestack said:
siggy14 said:

siggy14 said:

I tend to agree with most of what you're saying regarding the Recto's -- but not entirely...They are much more useful and musical than you are stating. Yes, you have to take a non-conventional approach to them...and they would not be my first choice if I was looking to buy One (1) amp. It has its niche.

And BTW, Russ Freeman (Rippingtons) uses a Recto as part of his rig and I don't know of anyone who makes better use of the volume knob to yield various shades of distortion...so YMMV! :wink:

Musical is like beauty, it is in the eyes, or i should say ears of the person playing them. For what the rect does, it does it well, it has its own distinct tone.

For me there is nothing more verstile then the roadking if you are a gigging coverband musician, you can nail almost every tone, not 100%, but it is there. So when it comes down to it if you are in a cover band and only want one amp, I would say roadking is the way to go.

Honestly I love my recto's, but when i am in a rock mood, i grab my stiletto or a marshall. But i can get by with the recto if i have too.

JAZZGEAR said:
Tonestack said:
siggy14 said:

siggy14 said:

And BTW, Russ Freeman (Rippingtons) uses a Recto as part of his rig and I don't know of anyone who makes better use of the volume knob to yield various shades of distortion...so YMMV! :wink:

I have a Mark IV and a .50 Caliber head. I love those amps more than any other. I recently also bought a Road King, but then sold it to my friend because it's just not as strong as the two mentioned above and I love the Mark/Caliber gain tone. Although at first I didn't like the recto tone, it has grown on me, but it is still not my main cup of tea. Looking forward to the Mark V!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a Voodoo Modded 3ch Dual Rec. I think it is much more musical than it was stock but for singing lead tones it is not the best without a pedal in front of the amp or if it is VERY loud, not always an option. I prefer a more Marshall styled sound, I think. I also have an older Splawn Pro Mod but it has 6550 power tubes which I don't think are the greatest lead sound tube. My point, I'm leaning towards a Stiletto Ace head to augment my sound.

Can compare the Stilettos to the Splawn?

Latest posts

Back