Strange Acting Triaxis...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PG13

Reaction score
Hello Boogie Board Brethren,
I am a brand new poster and a new convert to Mesa Boogie. I have viewed this board many times and I'm delighted to be part of it. Since Mesa in Petaluma is exceeding slow on returning calls, I've opted to plead my case to the seasoned Triaxis users and get your take on my situation.
Here it is:
I bought an older Triaxis off E-bay about a year and a half ago. It's old, plenty of rack rash, with cracked plastic on face plate. (I did replace the memory battery when I received it) I love the **** thing! All the LEDs still work and I believe it's one of the oldest I've seen on this board. (SN# T0065) I also believe it has never been modded.
Here is the issue:
While rehearsing with the unit (with a 2:90), all the LEDs went haywire and all my programs became scrambled. All the midi commands were affected too. That evening, I reprogrammed it and it seemed fine. The next day upon firing it up, the thing went crazy. All the LED values went missing or scrambled, it would not respond to any commands, there was a gain drop and all the "mode" lights were either on or off. Needless to say it scared the heck out of me. I visited this board and found this old plea for help which was similar to my problem.(http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=2886)

I pulled the unit and popped the top. The only removable power "ribbons" were in the front of the unit behind the face plate. I carefully lifted them off and gently cleaned all the male contacts with a q-tip saturated in contact cleaner. I then worked them up and down a little bit careful not to bend anything. I also checked to make sure those particular ribbons controlled the values on the face plate. (which they did) I reassembled and installed the unit back into the rack and it works like brand new.
Here's the question: Did I remedy the problem or did this "fix" masquerade a bigger issue?
Thanks in advance! PG13

the surest bet is to send it to Boogie for service. 0065 is VERY old, and needs a tech to look at it. if you like the preamp, a quality overhaul / maintenance job will give you years of further Tri enjoyment =)

Thanks for the reply. I am leaning the way you suggest. I'm still waiting for Mesa to call back about the issue. Off hand, would you know what a maintainence check up would run?
Thanks! PG13

Back