Stomps or Multieffects?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to bow. I'm just trying to help dispel a misunderstanding that keeps many people from getting the best out of their equipment.

At this point I have gotten really preachy about it, so I get that it can come off as arrogant. But I hate to see this kind of thing blindly perpetuated, and I hate to see people struggle when a little advice can save them that pain.

After I got my Mark IV - I ditched ALL of my effects(my crutches). Stomp boxes, digital processors, all of it. Its all collecting dust in a corner. It was PAINFUL at first.

Turned out to be the smartest thing I ever did. Made me a much better player. It made develop STYLE and TASTE and my sound has MEAT. Other players comment on it all the time.

Effects are great on recordings but - really live just the amp and guitar rocks.

I really should sell some of this crap.

well...
after doing some playing with my gt8 on the effects loop i've realize that i dont like the look (lol) when using my roadster and gt8...
but for real i started to think i just need some essential pedals, which i'm going to get...

an OD - maybe a Maxon or whatever it sounds the best
a Chorus pedal - i got now a Hardwire Stereo Chorus
2 delay pedals(dont know what i smoke that night) - a vox time machine and a flashback...

and maybe just maybe a harmonizer, a wah pedal and volumen pedal...

like i said just a few essentials pedals...

but i do agree with most comments... sometimes you need like patches and have save all of your work... but then again you cant really experiment with it like you can with stomps...

so i'm keeping my gt8 for further experimentations and going to start colecting stomps...

an also... agreed that a good decent guitar with any mesa amp can sound as great or bad... your hands are the best effect you can add to your sound !!!

screamingdaisy said:
LesPaul70 said:
All modern multi-FX units do AD/DA conversion (yes, some stompboxes do, too). It will usually result in tone loss. Some people are more sensitive to this than others, and some units are worse than the others. It is definitely noticeable on most units - maybe not so much on the considerably higher-end units like Fractal Axe-FX. But whether you're willing to invest that much in a digital FX unit is another matter.

[edit]

If you are a tone snob, you will probably want carefully handpicked stompboxes that don't offend your ear.
If you are not too picky, you will probably be perfectly happy with a multi-FX unit. You might not even notice a difference. Your audience probably won't anyway.

I'd just like to add that while it's really easy to be a tone snob while you're sitting at home and listening to your guitar amp under a microscope, pretty much all the finely tuned nuances of your tone disappear the second the drummer hits his snare.

It's been my experience that the logistics of setting up and performing are more important than purity of tone, and that the use of multi-effects and midi controllers greatly aid in making a guitarists life easier while on stage.

That said, some dudes are great at controlling 20+ pedals without missing a beat. Myself, I'd rather focus on playing my guitar and engaging the audience than trying to remember to tap two or three pedals when switching from the verse to chorus to verse several times a song.
VERY WELL SAID! My set up allows me to incorporate pedals and digital effects, and I switch the whole rig via the TC Electronic G System. No more amp footswitch!
2012-05-269522-09-249579-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back