Stompboxes to make good lead channel on Rectoverb(Help)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purple_Castle

Reaction score
Hi I want to buy couple of pedals to make good lead tone from my Rectoverb Head. I was considering buying Mxr 10 band EQ, compresor(Dyna Comp) and some Overdrive(BB Preamp, Maxon OD 808)
I want to ask you to tell me what do you think about this setup and suggest other options what can i buy to have better lead tone, I love my clean tone and rythym but I`m not happy with lead from pure amp.

Sincerly

Jasiek

And if anyone's going to answer his question I also have one. Who has tried a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 or a Maxon OD808 through a recto? I know the Fulldrive has a reputation for having little gain but I was wondering how it works as a boost on channel 2. I know Petrucci used one on Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and his tone on that album was easily the best ever but it may have been his IIC+'s that did it, and also I'm not quite sure WHICH tones he had that pedal turned on for.
Anyway, if anyone could tell me how these two work that would be great.

I have no clue what petrucci used on any album and if I did, and could afford all the equipment, I still wouldnt be able to sound like him anyways.

Anyways to the original poster purplecastle,,, I own a ROV series 2 combo,,I will start by saying that I believe trying to achieve the best lead sound ever, you probably could do better with something other than the ROV. But on the other hand I think you could do worse. Ive been slowly finding my way to a better lead tone also with the ROV.
You had mentioned the bb preamp,,,I own and use that with the ROV and I couldnt suggest a better OD/boost for you. I normally use it to boost and add gain/saturation and to tighten my leads. It also works very well simply using it with the clean channel alone. Beautiful rich tube sounds come from this pedal with quite a lot of available sustain. Let me say that adding this did not turn my ROV into a perfect lead amp by any means but it did help.
I also run a boss ge-7 in the loop which seems to help a bit,,note,,I had the MXR 6 band eq before this and it created a loud thumping sound when I raised any of the bass knobs at all.Remember the 6 band does not have a volume level so your 10 band may work fine.
I dont know for sure or not if the head version you own has a built in reverb like the combo but I assume it does ,due to its name,,
believe it or not one of the best things I did to achieve a more beautiful lead tone from the ROV was to add a reverb pedal and use it in the loop.
I found the ROV's built in reverb to be a little weak,,adding the pedal made it sound so much better,,now I have REVERB.
I noticed you had mentioned the dynacomp compressor,,I have never purchased a compressor before but I have thought about doing so,,I wonder what you think it might help with your sound assuming you would use it with high gain lead work,,,I ask you this because I just dont know,
all the compressor samples I find on the net use them with clean sounds only so I have been reluctant in pursuing one,,any help???

Hey guys,

Dropping in on this thread per recto robbie's request from another thread. :p

I've been playing through a Rectoverb (head and/or combo) for about 3 or 4 years now. Keep in mind that: 1) I'm not much of a lead player and 2) I'm not too experienced with overdrive & boost pedals. :shock:

Having said that, I've had good luck using a HBE Uno Mos clean boost pedal for leads. I run it in front of the amp so when I kick in the pedal, it fattens up the tone and adds sustain for leads & solos. I'm sure any of the plethora of clean boosts out there would work just as well. BTW this is usually with the amp on the Vintage mode.

Another thing I like to do is to use the Raw mode for medium crunch then kick in a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver dialed in as a clean boost (level up to about 3 0'clock, gain off or very low, tone to taste) for high-gain. The Uno Mos didn't work as well for this purpose; it got kind of muddy. Maybe the tone control on the Blues makes the difference?

I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back