Stock Speaker in a Mark IIb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Assumpcao

Reaction score
How do all,
Does anybody know what speaker came stock in a MarkIIb?
The reason I ask is that I'd like to play with the 100 watt setting on my amp but I'm afeared of blowin' up my speaker. Because, the manual said...
Mark II manual said:
You may get more clean power by switching to 100 watts, and still more by also plugging into the 8 ohm jack but remember to avoid lead tone distortion as it increases power dramatically (though not so much the apparent loudness) and may cause speaker damage. With two 8 ohm speakers, one in each 4 ohm jack, the 100 RMS can be safely used.

I've played it at 100 watts before, at low volume through my hot plate, and really liked the punch and headroom.
The only markings on the speaker:
67-8311
The owner of the "Vintage Amp" store, that the amp came from, tried to trade me straight across for an EV speaker. But because I'm ignorant, and because he was so eager :wink: , I declined.
Anyone gots any ideas?
BillA

The code 67-8311 indicates an Eminence speaker made in 1983.It could be the stock speaker,Mesa used Eminence in some amps back then.May be a 90watt speaker,thats why the warning in the manual,if it is stock.Playing thru the Hot PLate reduces the output watts considerably.I wouldnt use the 100watt setting full unless you have a second speaker cab connected.

Say hey D,
Nope, no labels. Just them numbers.

How do Stokes,
Yeah, I guess that I'll keep playing with it at low volumes through the Hot Plate.

Thanks, both of y'all for the responses,
BillA

Bill Assumpcao said:
How do all,
Does anybody know what speaker came stock in a MarkIIb?
The reason I ask is that I'd like to play with the 100 watt setting on my amp but I'm afeared of blowin' up my speaker. Because, the manual said...
Mark II manual said:
You may get more clean power by switching to 100 watts, and still more by also plugging into the 8 ohm jack but remember to avoid lead tone distortion as it increases power dramatically (though not so much the apparent loudness) and may cause speaker damage. With two 8 ohm speakers, one in each 4 ohm jack, the 100 RMS can be safely used.

I've played it at 100 watts before, at low volume through my hot plate, and really liked the punch and headroom.

mine came with a EV 12L but I think it was a special order on my part
The only markings on the speaker:
67-8311
The owner of the "Vintage Amp" store, that the amp came from, tried to trade me straight across for an EV speaker. But because I'm ignorant, and because he was so eager :wink: , I declined.
Anyone gots any ideas?
BillA

the IIB came with one of five options:

EVM 12L
Emminece 150 watt
MS12 - Black Shadow 150 Watt
JBL - D120
Altec-Lansing (Very Rare)

The JBL, Altec and the MS12 have big labels on them. Post a photo and I can tell you.

BWK

Howdy Barry,
Does your EV 12L have no label, just numbers on it? Like these?
67-8311

How do Boogiewan,
Will this work for ya?

http://my.tenforward.com/assumpcao/mesa011.jpg

Thanks for the help, guys,
BillA

67-8311 is the manufacturer and date code.67 is the code for an Eminence.8311 is the date code.If Boogiewan says it is 150 watt,I gotta go with that as I dont know otherwise.But it is definately an Eminence.

G'day Stokes,
I tried to E-mail Eminence yesterday, but my ISP's e-mail server decided to go TU and my question is now lost in cyber-space :cry:
I'll probably try again on Monday and let you know iffen I learn anything :fingerscrossed:
Thanks for your time, man,
BillA

I have tried to email Eminence a couple of times with questions about different speakers,never got any replies.Good luck.

Hello again Stokes,
Oh happy, happy, joy, joy (sarcasm off) Thanks for the heads up. 8)
I would take the amp to a tech, but it's a 4 hr. drive, via bridges and ferries, from here to anywhere :lol:

Mark II manual said:
... With two 8 ohm speakers, one in each 4 ohm jack, the 100 RMS can be safely used.

I thought about plugging my hot-plate into one of the 4 ohm jacks (as a dummy load). But, that's probably not a good idea because I have a 4 ohm hot-plate?
I apologize for my ignorance :oops:
BillA

If,as Boogiewan pointed out,the Eminence is 150 watts it should be okay to use it full power.I thought that one of the speakers Mesa offered back then was a 90 watt,and that was the reason for the warning in the manual.I could be wrong,as this was something I heard once,cant even remember where, so it could be rumor.

Read the second paragraph on page 3 of the Mark IIB users manual on MESA's website. It says to avoid lead tone distortion when plugging a single speaker into the 8-ohm jack of a 60/100 amp (in 100 watt mode). :(

How do Joey,
Thanks for the heads-up.
That's why I'm trying to figure out which speaker that I've got in my amp. Iffen it's the 90 watt or less, I could lose it in a puff o'smoke. :shock: :cry: Iffen it's the 150 watt'r than everythang would be okey-dokie.
I don't really want to add another speaker. Just tryin' to learn the amp and it's limits. I've had this puppy for 4 or 5 years and still keep running into new stuff.
Thanks again :thumbsup:
BillA

Whatever your speaker is, if it's stock you will have no problems whatever you jack the amp up to. In other words, crank the **** thing and don't worry about it.

TW

Good evening Twally,
I like it :!: 'Ceppin...
...It's a 22 yr. old amp and I ain't the original owner.
I would *** u me that the original speaker was meant to take whatever the amp could dish out. But, what do I know :wink:
Thanks for the moral support,
BillA

Howdy folks,
For them what was wondering...
...I just got offa the phone with a techie from Eminence. He had looked up my number and found that Eminence didn't actually give the speaker a wattage limit 'cause they were more interested in sensitivity. Mesa must have liked the sound (and price) so they tested it and gave it a wattage limit in their documentation. Now here's the punchline...
...He said, that because it had a 2 and a half inch voice coil, it could probably handle 200 watts, no problem. The assumption being that Mesa gave it a 150 watt conservative rating. So, I should be good to go.
rocker.gif

Which just tickles the $11+ outta me. 'Cause the clean channel is the best thing about this amp. And the 100 watt mode makes the clean channel that much better, even at lower volumes.
Yeehaw
229031_thewave.GIF

BillA
p.s.
Thanks Scott

Bill Assumpcao said:
Howdy Barry,
Does your EV 12L have no label, just numbers on it? Like these?
67-8311

How do Boogiewan,
Will this work for ya?

http://my.tenforward.com/assumpcao/mesa011.jpg

Thanks for the help, guys,
BillA

An early MS 12 by Emminence!

BWK

Latest posts

Back