Stiletto vs MarkV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cragginshred

Reaction score
I was reading all the subjective thoughts regarding Stilleto versus rectos, what are the thoughts out there regarding getting some Andy Timmons tones out of the Mark V?

I can literally do an A/B video between the two amps, next week.. I've got a stiletto coming Monday, and I've had a Mark V for a few months.. You can get stiletto'esque tones on Channel two of the MKV, Crunch mode, if you turn the channel volume up. I have yet to try the amp with el34's-- I bet you could come scary close to the sound of a stiletto.. Anyways, you can check out my current youtube vids-- a couple are with a LSS, and the rest are with the MKV..

www.youtube.com/stevehubbardguitar

Steve,
very cool videos! I think a big part of what I am looking for is what A Timmons calls the 'immediacy' and articulation of his style that Boogies lend themselves to. I am hearing that for sure with your MV demos. The MV seems way more versatile, however, the question of the EL tubes remains. I love the tone for solos as well as the fat cleans 6L6's provides, but the Els have that Brittish vibes and could be the link for that immediacy Timmons gets. It would also be cool to hear an a/b of the MKV, one with 6l6's and the other with EL's. Lord willing, my MarkV will arrive Monday! I will keep and eye on you channel for the comparison you spoke of, it would also be good to list, eq on/off, other effects used (sounded like just a touch of delay), pups, ect. Cheers!

I've played both, and if you are really picky, I would say go for the Stiletto. They do have different voicings to one another. They all sound great nevertheless...

cragginshred said:
Steve,
very cool videos! I think a big part of what I am looking for is what A Timmons calls the 'immediacy' and articulation of his style that Boogies lend themselves to. I am hearing that for sure with your MV demos. The MV seems way more versatile, however, the question of the EL tubes remains. I love the tone for solos as well as the fat cleans 6L6's provides, but the Els have that Brittish vibes and could be the link for that immediacy Timmons gets. It would also be cool to hear an a/b of the MKV, one with 6l6's and the other with EL's. Lord willing, my MarkV will arrive Monday! I will keep and eye on you channel for the comparison you spoke of, it would also be good to list, eq on/off, other effects used (sounded like just a touch of delay), pups, ect. Cheers!

Will do! I'll post the link in this thread when I get it done

Okay, I got it. I did a quick and crappy video-- Fat Clean, and Fluid Drive-- not your typical Stiletto tone.. I still dig it though! I could probably get a tite gain tone that I am happy with, if I ran an EQ in the loop. Right now, there is just too much high end for my liking.

Please subscribe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlLw8KeyfAI

More video with higher gain soloing stuff, any AT resolution type licks should showcase this rig! Again if you had to pick, Stiletto or MV??? But then again I may just end up with one of each...

^Just watch some of the clips on Youtube, and Andy Timmons' demo of his Stiletto rig. Should give you a general idea on how it sounds like...

I'm gonna do a tite gain video today, I actually have the gain cranked in the last video-- I have my pickups lowered on the Suhr to prevent 'stratitis'.. I'm gonna call Mesa and find out whether i have the trident stage 1 or 2

Oh-- and right now, overall I like the voice of the Mark better, as well as the versatility. You can get tones like these from it

Good job on the videos Shogun and great info! The soloing at the end of the 2nd one really shows off the amps articulation, voicing and and it's bent towards strat tones. i think i am going to have to just have both as the Mark is soo versatile and can be utilized in ways the stiletto cannot! Just watching Timmons videos is not the same as having someone plug in an play this amp. Much appreciated!

Glad i could help! I'll be putting some other MKV tones up within the next week. Peace! :)

Latest posts

Back